One Hunting Bullet Manufacturer

I have used Barnes TSX or TTSX or LRX bullets for the past 15 years and have loaded them for friends that don't handload. In 10 different calibers, and maybe 20 different rifles, accuracy has been superb. Performance on game has been very good with the exception of a bull elk that I shot from above. The bullet glanced off the spine and traveled diagonally heel first and lodged in the far shoulder blade. The bull was first hit by another in our hunting party 3/4 of a mile away with a 338 Lapua just under the spine and was making its way out of the country. The tip of the TTSX bullet was bent and the polymer part was gone, but the bullet didn't expand at all. However, the bull never took another step but did require a finishing shot when we approached it. I'm not sure another bullet would have performed any better tho. All other 40+ kills have been perfect. This year, after reading about the design and performance of the Hammer line of bullets, I decided to try them out in a couple of my rifles - a 6.5 CM and a 280 AI, both with fast twist barrels. Although accuracy has been good, it has not surpassed the accuracy I've obtained using the TTSX or LRX Barnes bullets. I have not yet given up on them tho and will experiment some more this summer. Almost everyone has a favorite bullet and nowadays there are many that will do an acceptable job on game. like they say one man's tea is another's poison. I have seen enough failures that I will never use a factory load on game again. I want to know what I am shooting and what to expect from
it and have a predictable outcome.

Last edited:
The Hammer is by far more lethal and consistent in function compared to the Barnes, Barnes wound more elk than any other bullet I've seen, used to be all I shot too till the facts could no longer be ignored!

Nope can't do it. Ive been known to drink one bourbon one scotch and one beer in an evening but like to choose different brands.I will not choose one brand of lure fishing either. variety is the spice of life.:D:D

All are hunting rifles.
The 6.5x284 has been used for Blackbuck thru cow elk.
The 308 will be used for deer sized. It's a Rem 700P that's a backup rifle.
The 300WM has been used for Aoudad and bull elk
The 338LM has been for bull elk and Nilgai.
Planning on a bison hunt and will take the 300WM & 338LM
I like rifles and choices.
The 6.5x284 with 1 and 8.5 and 308 with 1 and 12 especially would concern me. 1 and 12 pretty slow . I'd prefer a 1 in 10 in a 308. 1 in 8 kind of standard in 6.5 factory rifles . Steve can help you with Hammers or go to website for recommendations for twist and weight . 124 HH should work . Works good in my 1 in 8 - 6.5x284, 6.5 PRC and Creed. The 308 doesn't look good for heavies but maybe you don't want . I could recommend 150 or lighter cup and core but without looking up I couldn't recommend a Hammer for that twist . If were 1 in 10 I could.

Last edited:
I have used Barnes TSX or TTSX or LRX bullets for the past 15 years and have loaded them for friends that don't handload. In 10 different calibers, and maybe 20 different rifles, accuracy has been superb. Performance on game has been very good with the exception of a bull elk that I shot from above. The bullet glanced off the spine and traveled diagonally heel first and lodged in the far shoulder blade. The bull was first hit by another in our hunting party 3/4 of a mile away with a 338 Lapua just under the spine and was making its way out of the country. The tip of the TTSX bullet was bent and the polymer part was gone, but the bullet didn't expand at all. However, the bull never took another step but did require a finishing shot when we approached it. I'm not sure another bullet would have performed any better tho. All other 40+ kills have been perfect. This year, after reading about the design and performance of the Hammer line of bullets, I decided to try them out in a couple of my rifles - a 6.5 CM and a 280 AI, both with fast twist barrels. Although accuracy has been good, it has not surpassed the accuracy I've obtained using the TTSX or LRX Barnes bullets. I have not yet given up on them tho and will experiment some more this summer. Almost everyone has a favorite bullet and nowadays there are many that will do an acceptable job on game. like they say one man's tea is another's poison. I have seen enough failures that I will never use a factory load on game again. I want to know what I am shooting and what to expect from
it and have a predictable outcome.
Don't know where you are your ladder but I suspect you have not started to push pressure. Guessing they will tighten up.

working up an inventory... should be up tomorrow afternoon.
I thought of doing the same and have had offers for some of my inventory. I was open to sell them to rotate Bergers and ELDM's into my inventory. The issue is replacing my inventory. After considering the OP's priority which I think is big game I'd pick Bergers for 0-700 yards (deer/elk in my area). ELDM's I'd used for yotes and big game with 200 yards to 700 yards range.

Don't know where you are your ladder but I suspect you have not started to push pressure. Guessing they will tighten up.
Thank you steve - based on what I see, you are correct. The chrono is seeing very good velocity, but I have not seen any pressure signs whatsoever. In my son in laws 280 AI I stopped at 3130 FPS and was getting 3/4 MOA with the 143 HH so I stopped there as I don't like to push things with other peoples guns. Both my 280 AI's would only obtain 1 MOA with the same load. Also, I will load up some with mag primers as you have suggested before and do another work up with them. And you were right about seating depth - didn't make an appreciable difference. Thanks, Ken