Nosler, what’s up???

I'm a little frustrated because I haven't seen grade A 30 Cal Accubond or Accubond LR in over 1 year. Hunting season is here, so I would think Nosler would have been selling them 2 months ago. But no…
There have been some for sale this year. I bought some a few months ago and someone had them in stock within the last couple of weeks.

I visited Nosler Pro Shop twice this summer. The pro shop has a different selection of bullets than the website, although inventories overlap some.

The 180 grain coated accubonds were available for close inspection. Overall they looked pretty good, but the bullet heels had some small dings.

I went for a tour of the facilities. Many of the bullet swages were pumping out NBTs, accubonds and custom completion bullets. Lots of busy people and many machines operating. There was a stack of lead ingots and a tech was extruding one into 6.5mm lead wire to feed into a bullet swaging machine. The shipping warehouse was packed full of pallets of ammo, including 6.5 PRC. Many if the boxes of ammo were loaded with accubond bullets. Their shipping department building is nearly as big as the production facility. Demand is over the top guys. Nosler now has a cartridge manufacturing plant just north of the bullet plant, I can only imagine they are stuffing a bunch of bullets into new cases.

This was what I saw this summer.

I visited Nosler Pro Shop twice this summer. The pro shop has a different selection of bullets than the website, although inventories overlap some.

The 180 grain coated accubonds were available for close inspection. Overall they looked pretty good, but the bullet heels had some small dings.

I went for a tour of the facilities. Many of the bullet swages were pumping out NBTs, accubonds and custom completion bullets. Lots of busy people and many machines operating. There was a stack of lead ingots and a tech was extruding one into 6.5mm lead wire to feed into a bullet swaging machine. The shipping warehouse was packed full of pallets of ammo, including 6.5 PRC. Many if the boxes of ammo were loaded with accubond bullets. Their shipping department building is nearly as big as the production facility. Demand is over the top guys. Nosler now has a cartridge manufacturing plant just north of the bullet plant, I can only imagine they are stuffing a bunch of bullets into new cases.

Did you happen to find out where all the bullets were heading ? I'm in PA & have yet to see any. Ilol

Description says Accubond Long Range bullets, not regular Accubonds. Although I don't think they make a 30/180 ABLR bullet so probably a misprint on Winchester's part.
Correct, misprint on their part. They also make the expedition long range which does in fact use the long range accubond. These, however, are the regular accubond with the lubelox coating and a red tip.

Last edited:

I figured something like that was going on. I don't have my finger on the pulse of the firearms development and ammunition production industry, but I do seem to recall reading/hearing about the US Military and other 3 letter federal agencies sponsoring research and development of the 6.5 PRC. Seems it was 3 to 5 years ago when this news came out.

We all know how popular the 6.5's have become over the years and PRC is the latest and greatest.

Seems we handloaders are being told to pound sand if we want any selection of Accubond boolits.

@WildRose I think that was a typo on her part. However the point I was making, though it is called a 7.62x39, the bullet diameter is .310" for the Starndard Soviet Union AK47. Soviets didnnt want to have things in common with the free world, thats why the AK74 is 5.45x39 (not the .223 claiber) and the railroad gauge is 4 ft 11+27⁄32 in instead of the English/US 4' 8.5"
I'm a little frustrated because I haven't seen grade A 30 Cal Accubond or Accubond LR in over 1 year. Hunting season is here, so I would think Nosler would have been selling them 2 months ago. But no…

I love the Accubond and Hornady Interbond but I started shooting mono's due to the spotty/rare/unheard of availability of both.

If the shortages of the last decade in both ammo and reloading supplies hasn't taught us anything else it's taught many/most of us versatility.

All I know is I get emails from Nosler every few days on what's in stock. If you snooze you lose. 6.5 142 AB's blems in stock. And I've had no issues using blems for hunting. When i lived in Bend most of the Nosler employees did the samething.

I figured something like that was going on. I don't have my finger on the pulse of the firearms development and ammunition production industry, but I do seem to recall reading/hearing about the US Military and other 3 letter federal agencies sponsoring research and development of the 6.5 PRC. Seems it was 3 to 5 years ago when this news came out.

We all know how popular the 6.5's have become over the years and PRC is the latest and greatest.

Seems we handloaders are being told to pound sand if we want any selection of Accubond boolits.
Hornady did the R&D for the 6.5PRC, and the round was developed for the precision rifle series, not for military or federal. George Gardner partnered with Hornady but they weren't ready to move it forward back in 2012, so George developed the 6.5GAP4S (or 6.5 SAUM by another name) and worked with Hornady to bring head stamped brass to the market. Hornady brought the PRC out when they were ready.

Hornady did the R&D for the 6.5PRC, and the round was developed for the precision rifle series, not for military or federal. George Gardner partnered with Hornady but they weren't ready to move it forward back in 2012, so George developed the 6.5GAP4S (or 6.5 SAUM by another name) and worked with Hornady to bring head stamped brass to the market. Hornady brought the PRC out when they were ready.
And wasn't it the 6.8 mm the military was looking at ?