Labradar- What’s needed?

I just use the box it came in as a case. Added a couple layers of packing foam to take up the slop. You could make a simple bag with bubble wrap and tape too. I'm a year into it, and the box has withstood bouncing around in my truck, some light rain, and getting stepped on a couple times.

Something like a Gorilla Pod makes a good stand. Not much more than the LabRadar stand, but more deployment options, and of course it also makes a good tripod for other duties.

Any cheap USB battery pack will work, if it will fully charge a modern cell phone at least once, it will power the Labradar for a couple of sessions.

I have owned a LabRadar for about 2 years now and will share a few tips that I have learned.
First it is a giant leap forward in the Chrono world. I find because of its simplicity I use it almost every time I shoot and the data is very valuable to me. I have learned that with Lithium batteries they last much longer and I no longer have the battery issues I had with Alkaline batteries. They will go several shooting sessions without replacement.
Aiming the unit at the target is crucial and I would recommend one of aftermarket sights. I have thought about how i could mount a cheap scope that we all have lying around to the LabRadar.
How you set it up will determine how well it preforms for you. How long you leave it armed between shots will determine how long the batteries last. As others have suggested I would use a battery pack. If aimed properly it will pick up a .224 at 4000 FPS. Also you have to change settings from pistol to rifle or you will not get a reading. I have found that every time I did not get a reading it was because I had knocked it off target or a setting I had not changed.
A old laptop case works great for carrying and storing the LabRadar, accessories and targets.
the App is also a huge step forward and really brought the LabRadar into its own, it also allows you to have the data to use latter without having to print it from the LabRadar.
I find it to be an invaluable tool for developing loads for LR shooting. The more I chrono loads the more I learn.

View attachment 129603 View attachment 129604
Here's some interesting ideas from phantomprecisiontactical.com

they claim the microphones are at the center of the sides , at the orange areas . I never even thought of trying to mount the labradar over the rifle bbl . this would solve my side discharge brake worries . I'll have to try this , thanks for the tip .

I've laid an ink pen in the sighting groove , it helps get aligned . the sight's a cool idea too .

I have a Labradar on order, should get it Monday. I shoot my old chronograph, opps. After doing a lot of looking and reading reviews I decided the Labradar was the best way to go. Reading all these post will be helpful.

I used a simple sighting device. A soda straw taped to the v groove on top of the unit. It works fine. Just like bore sighting.
Until the feds ban them, they work.
I went a step further, and used a 2.5" piece of 1/4" copper pipe. I "bedded" it in the V using some epoxy, then taped it down securely (used release agent on the LabRadar, as I didn't want it permanently affixed).

I tried taping a straw and/or ink pen body first, but the diameters were a bit big for fine aiming at distance, they tended to be finicky to get taped into alignment, and the muzzle blast tended to send them flying off into the weeds too often.

BC75D1D1-E437-4D73-A9E8-DD7808BEA397.jpeg
View attachment 129705 If you're totally OCD about aiming your Labradar then this is for you.

Last edited:
The harbor freight hard case is also a good option and comparatively cheap as well if you can find it on sale and then use the 20% off coupon. I keep my battery pack cables and labradar in mine.

I've used the straw. However, I forgot to take it along the last couple of sessions.
I find that the position of the barrel on an unbraked rifle has a far greater effect on whether the unit triggers than how "close" I sight down the V at the 100 yard target.

I've used the straw. However, I forgot to take it along the last couple of sessions.
I find that the position of the barrel on an unbraked rifle has a far greater effect on whether the unit triggers than how "close" I sight down the V at the 100 yard target.
Barrel position can be important for triggering, though I haven't had much trouble with that, other than blast causing the unit to shake or move off target and get spurious tracking results.

I use the peep sight for aiming, as it seems to result in more accurate and longer distance tracking. When the unit is stable, and aimed well, I have no trouble picking up 556 out to 100 plus yds, and 30 cal out to 150 yds.

I got an afternoon's worth of 160 yd, high Signal/Noise, tracking on 208 ELDM last weekend.:)

...And I didn't record any precise environmentals :(
...So my best B.C. estimating data to date is useless:mad:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.