Labradar?

With a 300NM and a fat bastard break, I put it about 2' behind the muzzle and tight to the gun or else the muzzle blast will shut it off. No problems when run this way.

This was the detailed response I got from the LabRadar distributor regarding brakes.

We too receive a lot of questions about muzzle brakes. The problem is that there are so many designs and calibers it is difficult to cover them all.

The Little Bastard and Fat Bastard Brakes are terrible. They must be very efficient though. I have attached a few photos that customers have sent me to explain. Feel free to share them. A few people have put the brake too close and it impacts the radar so hard it shakes the battery connection loose. I tell people that they have $600 sitting on the table and to start conservatively.

We are thinking about some better drawings for the next manual to help with these questions.

Here is what we tell people:

If your muzzle brake has a 90 degree discharge place your muzzle 8 inches or more in front (down range) of the radar as shown on page 13 of the manual.

If your muzzle brake has a rearward discharge you have a couple of choices:

1. Place your radar close, within 6 inches of the barrel and back down the barrel near the front of the scope. This should be out of the direct blast of the brake.

2. If the brake does not have ANY 90 degree ports they can position the Labradar 12 inches to the side of the muzzle. This allows all the blast to go behind their Labradar. Since some brakes have 90 and angular ports this will not work for them so they should use method #1.

3. Place Labradar on a tripod and tilt the radar so it is now on its side, directly above the bore. See the attached photos.

4. Place a couple of cement blocks between the Labradar and the muzzle, angle the cement blocks to help deflect the blast. See photos.

338-above-barrel.jpg

50-cal-with-bricks.jpg

50-cal-with-brick.jpg

Wind Gypsy , thank you for the suggestion .

Andy Backus , thank you for checking into this for me . it's very much appreciated . when I'm ready to buy , I'll be in touch .
thanks all , Jim Bires

Thanks for the additional ideas Andy.

I'm not sure double plugging the ears with a fat bastard would be enough with cinder blocks directing that blast back at you even more!

I used the cement block set up over the weekend . this worked with my braked rifles . I didn't notice any increase in how loud the blast was with a side discharge brake on my 338 lapua . I did get some dirt blowing though, no biggie just be aware . I was able to read it without moving from behind the rifle , which is good .

I shot an unbraked rifle , 7mm-08, with the cement blocks and didn't a reading . I'm not sure if the blocks muffled the blast to much , or if I timed out on the armed . I moved the blocks and it worked fine . I didn't realize I timed out on another shot until I didn't get the reading , then I saw the blue light . I just need to spend a little more time with it to get the hang of using it . it's a nice chronograph .

Since this has been out for awhile, can someone tell me if you start a string of shots can you come back to that string again and shoot more on it? My biggest beef with every chrono I've had is that I have to close out the string of shots and move to a new one when I change rifles. I'm often times shooting a couple firearms testing loads so I can allow others to cool down between strings. I'll purchase a new chrono when someone gives me this feature! Hoping this one does but I can't find any information on whether this is the case with the lab radar. Does anyone have any insight into this? Thank you

Since this has been out for awhile, can someone tell me if you start a string of shots can you come back to that string again and shoot more on it? My biggest beef with every chrono I've had is that I have to close out the string of shots and move to a new one when I change rifles. I'm often times shooting a couple firearms testing loads so I can allow others to cool down between strings. I'll purchase a new chrono when someone gives me this feature! Hoping this one does but I can't find any information on whether this is the case with the lab radar. Does anyone have any insight into this? Thank you

NO , it does not do this . once I left the shot string I could go back and review the info , but I could not add more shots to it . I would really like to be able to do this too , for exactly the same reason you mentioned .

NO , it does not do this . once I left the shot string I could go back and review the info , but I could not add more shots to it . I would really like to be able to do this too , for exactly the same reason you mentioned .

I am going to let them know about your suggestion.

Yes, I shoot / test the same way. You have to shoot that way when testing loads with sporter barrels, or you'll spend all day just firing 20 rounds if it is above 75 outside or you cannot avoid the sun. One good reason to shoot when it's freezing out! But the snow presents other problems. (some of my best groups are in snowy conditions)

I guess you don't want a $120 dual sensor unit or just don't know that the ProChrono allows this. You have 9 strings and can move between and add to any of them. I do it all the time. But I want a super accurate chrono that uses a different technology than the 2 sensor approach. LabRadar seems like the way to go, but what you mentioned is a show stopper for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.