Labradar?

Shannon,

I haven't bought a magnetospeed mainly for the reasons you mentioned. I've confirmed it changes POI on one of my rifles. I will not us a chrono that changes POI because it would force me to remove the chrono and fire more rounds to measure dispersion and zero the scope. Reloading components are too hard to get these days.

No chrono is perfect. I'm used to optical chronos and I've learned how to avoid their pitfalls. My prochrono digital works pretty darn well considering the price I paid. I'm still looking for the holy grail. Let's see what the beta testers say about Labradar.

Great idea but like any cutting edge, first-gen product it appears to have some teething issues. Example: how will the chrono fair with other shooters in close proximity (like on a shooting line)? I do REALLY like the concept though. Some more R&D and it could be the chrono to beat.

A revealing thread.

I won't go to a range except to watch a competition every once in a while.

Where I do my testing the closest other side of the canyon is 550 yards at a down angle of 20 degrees or so.

Shooting straight across the canyon the other side is between 700 and 1k yards and 12 degrees up at 1200.

With only one rifle firing at a time I'm figuring the Labradar is a near perfect fit.

small, portable easy to position for prone shooting.

It now depends on robustness and price.

Otherwise it'll be a Megnetospeed in the near future.

I read, somewhere that they recently received FCC approval for the Labradar.

It's an intensive project they've taken on.

I spoke with the guy (Richard Mouser) about this at SHOT last week. Nice guy and really knows his stuff. My biggest take-aways from the conversation were:

3) The unit probably won't work well for measuring BC's. I asked about placing a unit downrange to measure velocity at 300, 600, etc. Richard explained several problems with this, and he was the guy there selling them. As for measuring BC with a unit at the muzzle and tracking it for 100 yards... well 100 yards is the best case scenario for large caliber, flat base bullets. More nominal range is like 60-80 yards with the furthest ranges being the least certain (more error prone the further you get downrange).

As an electrical engineer, I bet the issue with placing a unit downrange is getting it to trigger as the bullet passes. If there is a microphone trigger option, one should be able to tweak the trigger level to catch the crack of the shock front when the bullet passes. If there is a TTL external trigger, there are several ways to build a small external box to detect the bullet at send a TTL signal to trigger the radar. The simplest would be to make a more sensitive microphone with a finely adjustable threshold and send the TTL signal when the threshold is exceeded.

Shannon,

I haven't bought a magnetospeed mainly for the reasons you mentioned. I've confirmed it changes POI on one of my rifles. I will not us a chrono that changes POI because it would force me to remove the chrono and fire more rounds to measure dispersion and zero the scope. Reloading components are too hard to get these days.

No chrono is perfect. I'm used to optical chronos and I've learned how to avoid their pitfalls. My prochrono digital works pretty darn well considering the price I paid. I'm still looking for the holy grail. Let's see what the beta testers say about Labradar.

Very well stated. +1

I'm very intrigued by the Labradar unit and got on Len's waiting list when he announced that he was going to distribute the product. I have been using the Magetospeed since it's introduction with excellent results, but have used it in isolation of accuracy work due to POI changes. I have worked around this believing the ability to get accurate velocities outweighs this deficiency, but the Labradar would eliminate it if it lives up to it's claims.

You hear so much about POI being changed due to the attachment to the barrel.

I have wondered if the attachment could be placed on a stationary platform under the barrel and still work as designed. An "artificial barrel" in other words. I have not purchased one for the POI change issue.

Maybe someone that has one could try this and report back. I have no idea weather this is possible or not. Maybe someone could enlighten me on this.

Thanks in advance on any feedback.

I took mine to the range for the first time Saturday; only shot 20 shots over it. Very preliminary results as I was just trying to figure out how to get the thing to work...BUT I like it so far. Not having to mess with sky screens sure is convenient and it "seems" to be very accurate.

I plan on a full test vs. my Oehler 35P at some point. I will post results.

I've read that when using the labradar with a muzzlebrake a shield is needed , or recommended . I'm assuming the shield protects the unit from the air blast ? what are you guys using for this shield ? thanks Jim

I can move the unit to the side almost 3' and back 2' from the muzzle and it will still register with the brake on. Without the brake it needs to be much closer, for instance with the unbraked .223 it needs to be right next to the muzzle and about an inch back, like the picture in their manual. No problems or damage for the 300 RUM, haven't tried the .338 yet.

I can move the unit to the side almost 3' and back 2' from the muzzle and it will still register with the brake on. Without the brake it needs to be much closer, for instance with the unbraked .223 it needs to be right next to the muzzle and about an inch back, like the picture in their manual. No problems or damage for the 300 RUM, haven't tried the .338 yet.

Thanks Wedgy . I'm getting serious about getting one . I shoot a 338 Lapua , and a 300 wby . both have brakes . the 300 tore the lid off a 50 round plastic ammo box . I must have had it in the perfect spot for max blast . I was just concerned that if the labradar had a grill opening, similar to a radio speaker , it could have a short lifespan . Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts