Nosler, what’s up???

I have been a Nosler reloader for quite a few years but the current situation has put a serious strain on my Nosler relationship. Yes, I get what has been happening through all this mess on component availability with demand far outstripping supply. But in the end, there are some bullets showing up here and there from the traditional bullet makers but try to find a 7mm 160-grain Accubond without resorting to the auction sites. Don't blame Nosler for making hay when the sun shines, but I would like to think hand loaders helped establish the reputation they have enjoyed now for decades. Maybe kicking a few crumbs into the hand load market would help. Maybe they have been overwhelmed with contractual obligations. Maybe it's just my frustration!

Just now starting to try some Hammer Hunters for deer season - hopefully working up a load won't be too difficult and it is sure nice to order and not worry about receiving what you need in a timely manner. Very refreshing in these times!!
Shooters Pro Shop just had a bunch of 7mm 160 accubond seconds for sale yesterday....

Except that the .30 (.308) caliber does not fit the 7.62x39. They use .310 , (range of .309-.311)
Interestingly I found data that lists the diameters as .308, .310 and .311. Data varies dependent upon the reloading information from different manufacturers. I guess if I had one I would slug the barrel and see what would be the best fit for the particular rifle. The only contact that I have had with the 7.62 x 39 is on the receiving end---twice with one of them still in my back. Thus maybe you can understand my dislike of both the 7.62 x 39 and the AK 47. 😳

I have serious doubts any federal entity is using Nosler accubonds for any type of use they would need.
So it's either the govmt out heavy restrictions on things or they're too busy making other production items and don't have time to produce accubonds or partitions. Idk. Same thing with primers. If you see em on the shelves it's rare.

Shooters Pro Shop just had a bunch of 7mm 160 accubond seconds for sale yesterday....

Thanks guys!!

I saw the email but it was a couple hours after it was delivered and by the time I got into SPS the 160's were long gone. But, this is a good sign. Hope the blems are a sign of more production which might get us some more blems.

Last edited:
Well the government these days is not using .30 caliber bullets so much as it did before but there might be some headed for the Russian Front in the form of 7.62 x 30 cartridges. With that said, the .30 caliber is probably one of the most used out on the market. Accubonds not withstanding there are a lot of .30 caliber bullets out there that are just as good if not better. My personal preference is 165 gr Partitions or 168 gr Custom Competition. I mostly use Nosler and Sierra but have tried most of the others over the years and find no improvement over these two. As it has been said many times, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The USG nor any other I'm aware of has ever used a 7.62x30 cartridge.

We used 7.62x51 for about 50 years heavily and still use the round in select weapons like the M-14's carried by The Rangers and in mini guns. There are a few M-60's still in the inventor as well.

The Russians used a 7.62x39 and still do as well as about fifty or more other countries.

The USG nor any other I'm aware of has ever used a 7.62x30 cartridge.

We used 7.62x51 for about 50 years heavily and still use the round in select weapons like the M-14's carried by The Rangers and in mini guns. There are a few M-60's still in the inventor as well.

The Russians used a 7.62x39 and still do as well as about fifty or more other countries.
@WildRose I think that was a typo on her part. However the point I was making, though it is called a 7.62x39, the bullet diameter is .310" for the Starndard Soviet Union AK47. Soviets didnnt want to have things in common with the free world, thats why the AK74 is 5.45x39 (not the .223 claiber) and the railroad gauge is 4 ft 11+27⁄32 in instead of the English/US 4' 8.5"

But the issue is they're not loading 200 grain accubonds In a 308 they would be loading 150's 168 175 hollowpoint boat tails or FMJ And they certainly wouldn't be loading acumen long range bullets and military surplus ammo

Everyone talking about companies supplying the government instead of us. Has anyone considered other possibilities? The company I work for has all the raw materials, machinery, and manpower to supply all our customers. We just can't get shipping boxes to put the orders in. We shut machines down every day and start them back up a few days later, just to shut them back down a shift later.

I have been a Nosler reloader for quite a few years but the current situation has put a serious strain on my Nosler relationship. Yes, I get what has been happening through all this mess on component availability with demand far outstripping supply. But in the end, there are some bullets showing up here and there from the traditional bullet makers but try to find a 7mm 160-grain Accubond without resorting to the auction sites. Don't blame Nosler for making hay when the sun shines, but I would like to think hand loaders helped establish the reputation they have enjoyed now for decades. Maybe kicking a few crumbs into the hand load market would help. Maybe they have been overwhelmed with contractual obligations. Maybe it's just my frustration!

Just now starting to try some Hammer Hunters for deer season - hopefully working up a load won't be too difficult and it is sure nice to order and not worry about receiving what you need in a timely manner. Very refreshing in these times!!
Like you, Nosler hunter/shooter/loader for many years. I was very loyal to the brand and the product was very good but recently AB's in 7mm vanished and trying to get an explanation from them is impossible. I'm currently loading Hammer Hunters. Excellent product, great support, and great people. Load development was fairly easy with all the support and input. Hammer Time!

Recent Posts