Nosler for LR??

Daves762

Why do i not see anyone using Nosler bullets for long range???

Is it because of the ogive?

For long range hunting the top 2 are Berger and Hornady correct??

depends on the caliber. Nosler Accubonds were the gold standard for years, but they have fallen by the wayside for higher b.c bullets, even though the higher B.C bullets generally are not the controlled expansion type which have been thought to be more of a hunting bullet conventionally. I have freinds that use the Aacubond for LR.

Lots of people on LRH still use 'em. Finding a high BC bullet that expands reliably at longer distances is much like searching for the Holy Grail.......always searching, but never finding. Many of us feel that the Nosler A/B is a good compromise between higher BC's and great terminal performance once the bullet arrives on target. I shoot the 130 gr. A/B out of my 6.5-06 AI.

Hopefully we will hear from some other A/B shooters as well.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/820-yard-cow-elk-pics-10107/

s16.jpg

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/cow-elk-1203-yards-20062/

robertatbench2.jpg

ETC.

i use 120 balistic tips in my 6-5-284s, and i use 140 accubond and balistic tips in my 7mmrm.

I also use the Nosler Ballistic Tips. The 90 & 95gn in .243, 115gn in .25-06, 120gn in 6.5-284, 150gn in 7mRM and 180gn in .300WinMag. They're deadly accurate and have never failed me. JohnnyK.

I don't use them because I feel that they are too strongly constructed to open up reliably at the much lower velocities of LRH. Depending on circumstances this trade off is at about 1,500 fps ( nothing scientific, just what I do)

Im with mike on this, I use the accubond and BT. Out to 800 is no problem. But for some guys thats not long range. It is for me. I do understand though why so many target/comp shooters use the higher bc. Just makes since. But if your using them for hunting, you cant go wrong. They will dirt nap an elk at 800.

I also agree with the good opinion expressed about Acubond bullets. The difference between them and Speer or Berger is very often a velocity choice, which is independent of yardage. Terminal bullet performance is largely based on velocity at impact and bullets are constructed accordingly. The part that keeps me guessing is the gray zone, where velocity is too high for target bullets and too low for hunting bullets either one being a decided looser of sorts, kind of like flipping a coin.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.