Nosler Accubond VS. Hammer

wilkup

I'm in the process of putting together my own personal wildcat (which I'm jacked about) and want to know the pros and cons of each of these different bullets.
I've used the Accubonds with success in the past, but have no experience with the Hammers or any other copper style bullet.
They will be chambered in a rifle that I plan to hunt all North American game from coyotes/bobcats all the way to monster blackies/grizzly in AK =)
Let the opinions fly!

I have a request in for Steve at Hammer bullets to make up a 358...they have a protype around 220gr. They still have to test it, maybe tweak the HP he said. Its a pretty bullet! I plan on trying it in my 358 Norma. I've never used Accubond nor Hammer in my previous 35 Whelan AI, but I used the Barnes 250X, the 200X and the 310 Woodleigh. I killed some fine game animals with them. I plan on using up my 200 TTSX in shooting, but I want to hunt with the Hammer form Big Swede! Good luck to you....got love a 35 caliber!

It is looking like we will be testing the 35 tomorrow. I think it will work fine, but have learned not to assume. I'll give a report tomorrow after we get back from the range.

Steve

It is looking like we will be testing the 35 tomorrow. I think it will work fine, but have learned not to assume. I'll give a report tomorrow after we get back from the range.

Steve

Good luck with testing! I can't wait to hear about how it does in the Whelen. Between myself and RevJim, it sounds like we'll be pushing it quite a bit faster than a Whelen, but I'm sure your bullet construction is strong enough to handle the boost in velocity =)

Wilkup,

I have used 250 grn swift A-frame out of my 350 Griffin & Howe with good results. I have killed 6-7 moose and mountain goat with it. I shoot 225 Barnes out of my 358 STA and 358 Norma. I just don't shoot my 35 Whelan much anymore.

What is your wildcat going to be?

My wildcat I'm designing is based on a short action, short barreled 35 caliber =)
I'm hotrodding and modifying a 7mm WSM case to push a midweight fat 35 cal bullet.

I have a 358wssm wildcat that loves accubonds and also ttsx. Bullet performance has been perfect.

I was wrong on the test date. Testing will happen on Fri. High vel impacts are not a worry. We just need to make sure that they open as designed down below 1800fps. We will also catch a full tilt load at 10ft to make sure that the bullet is retaining the proper amount of weight. This will ensure that the bullet will function correctly from high velocity to low velocity. Terminal performance and accuracy are our overriding principle. We currently have the bullet with a 1.5mm hollow point. As beefy as this bullet is it could possibly need a 2mm hole.

Steve

I'm curious what rifle you're running that WSSM in =)

There's a lot guys here in Indiana with a .358 wildcat becuase they fit into our laws as legal deer calibers. Any wsm rifle seems to chamber them fine from a mag. I've seen mossbergs, rem 700, savage, howa. Low recoil and tack drivers. Mine have had Douglas prem barrels. I know some guys use hart. The 220gr accubond has all but disappeared but the 200 ttsx is devistating. I'll try and post a frontal coyote shot that literally split in down the center and exited rear. Many deer, elk, caribu, black bears have fallen to it. We resize 25wssm brass for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.