Nosler Accubond LR vs Berger VLD

jtaustin

Is there a significant advantage of one of these bullets in 300 WM? Just starting to work up new hunting loads and would like a recommendation on which one is performing better.

I completely agree with what AZShooter said and I am also passing to 215 berger hybrids as soon as they will be available in europe!

BnG and I were just talking about this yesterday. If you have 215's and 230's you need no other 30 cal bullet. 215 for the 300 win and down, 230 for the 300 RUM and up. We arrived at this opinion after seeing what the .308 does with a 10 twist and a 215. Pretty amazing.

Jeff

Is there a significant advantage of one of these bullets in 300 WM? Just starting to work up new hunting loads and would like a recommendation on which one is performing better.

You never said what twist you had, or barrel length. As for a hunting bullet; how far do you shooting the rifle well at, meaning that 85% of the time your in the kill zone at lang range, or the longest range you shoot well at. I'd assume you have a 1-10 twist.

If there's a vote involved I'd go with Berger, or pretty much any of their good .30's built for game and long range out of a .300 WM works, which would include bullets from company's like Barnes.

I've had a couple guys tell they've tried the .308 cal RBT-VLD/RBT-ST in 210gr and 220gr in a .300 WM and found them crazy good.. just what they said it second from me never seen one. it seems they use a harden steel tip (kinda like the new stuff the Military is going to) and the old bronze points from Remington's concept, which to tell you the truth were never that accurate in guns I fired them in.. but digress.

What are you planing on hunting? Pretty much anything that comes out of the barrel of .300 WM gets hammered, at any reasonable range with about any good bullet.

Well good luck.
Cheer's

I've just started shooting a Browning X-bolt 300 WM, 26", 1 in 10 twist, comfortable out to 700 yds at this point, maybe more after some time. I'll be elk hunting in Colorado 2nd season. I was starting with Accubond 180's, but sounds like I should consider a heavier bullet. My Nosler chart says H1000 is the most accurate, so I started with 79 grains. Shooting 1/2 MOA @ 100. Haven't moved out yet. Maybe this weekend. All ears.

I've just started shooting a Browning X-bolt 300 WM, 26", 1 in 10 twist, comfortable out to 700 yds at this point, maybe more after some time. I'll be elk hunting in Colorado 2nd season. I was starting with Accubond 180's, but sounds like I should consider a heavier bullet. My Nosler chart says H1000 is the most accurate, so I started with 79 grains. Shooting 1/2 MOA @ 100. Haven't moved out yet. Maybe this weekend. All ears.

Well you got enough gun to get the job done, now you need a good bullet to get to the target.. that's the hard part.
As for most accurate loads out of the book(s), that's always been a crap shoot. If you really want to know what's going on with your load(s) and the rifle,(and you should if your planning on long range shot's) you have too have your own chronograph; guys that try, and those that do punch critters at longer ranges have to know what the rifle and load is really doing out there in the anything can happen zone.
All in all it sounds light you might want to get into the 190gr to 215gr quality game bullet, then put it on paper "at" the range you plan to hunt and those would like to hunt, those longer range's you mentioned. Find out what's going on in the mechanical accuracy department and your shooting skills. Then crunch the real numbers, that's where the chorny comes in, find out whats going on with the bullets; internal, external; and terminal ballistics... then go find some meat.
Good luck, hope the hunt work out.
Cheer's

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.