Nosler Accubond VS. Hammer

I believe 2650-2700fps. I'd have to check as I stopped load testing years ago. My father shot a deer at 350 , I ranged him, and left a wound comparable to my 7mm with a ballistic tip. Baseball size hole with the Barnes. Complete pass through shoulders. I know of a reliable source who i hunt with that has shot up to 600 on deer.

There's a lot guys here in Indiana with a .358 wildcat becuase they fit into our laws as legal deer calibers. Any wsm rifle seems to chamber them fine from a mag. I've seen mossbergs, rem 700, savage, howa. Low recoil and tack drivers. Mine have had Douglas prem barrels. I know some guys use hart. The 220gr accubond has all but disappeared but the 200 ttsx is devistating. I'll try and post a frontal coyote shot that literally split in down the center and exited rear. Many deer, elk, caribu, black bears have fallen to it. We resize 25wssm brass for it.

Is it basically a 358 Winchester as far as performance or more like a 35 Remington?

I believe 2650-2700fps. I'd have to check as I stopped load testing years ago. My father shot a deer at 350 , I ranged him, and left a wound comparable to my 7mm with a ballistic tip. Baseball size hole with the Barnes. Complete pass through shoulders. I know of a reliable source who i hunt with that has shot up to 600 on deer.

That's beating the hot 358 Win loads! How long's your barrel? Those numbers are impressive!

Sounds like a pretty neat little round! The more I look into things, the more I'm convinced I'll be using the Barnes of Hammers for this round just because the Noslers are quite difficult to locate so far. Maybe use the 180 TTSX for little stuff and the Hammers for when I really am looking to knock something off its feet =)

If your set on noslers I know a guy with 18,000 I could get some off. I was thrilled with Barnes and hammers are probably just as good or better.

If your set on noslers I know a guy with 18,000 I could get some off. I was thrilled with Barnes and hammers are probably just as good or better.
I was mostly interested in Noslers cuz of how cheap they are to shoot compared to Barnes or Hammers. I can't wait for my reamer to come on my new wildcat and to get things moving along with all that entails =)

What exactly are you making

I've started another thread on it, but it based on the 7mm WSM case. I blew it out and gave it a 45 degree shoulder with a couple other mods too. I've got a CRF action and 23" barrel I'm gonna be slinging it out of and am pretty sure I can better the 358 Norma Mag =)
Should be a deadly, compact little rifle capable of taking anything I will ever hunt out to 500 yards or so.

I was wrong on the test date. Testing will happen on Fri. High vel impacts are not a worry. We just need to make sure that they open as designed down below 1800fps. We will also catch a full tilt load at 10ft to make sure that the bullet is retaining the proper amount of weight. This will ensure that the bullet will function correctly from high velocity to low velocity. Terminal performance and accuracy are our overriding principle. We currently have the bullet with a 1.5mm hollow point. As beefy as this bullet is it could possibly need a 2mm hole.

Steve

Eagerly awaiting test results! How'd they do?!

Shot it for low velocity performance yesterday and the 1.5mm hollow point did not give good performance below 2000fps. It wanted to open at 1800fps but just did not quite do it. I think that it may have been a stability issue. At the low muzzle velocity the stability was marginal in the test rifle that we used. The test rifle has a 16" twist.

Any of you guys have a 14" or faster and up for shooting a few for testing?

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.