Nosler Accubond VS. Hammer

I'd love to help you with the testing ( my rifle is a 14" twist), but I don't have the time right now. Bummer.

Shot it for low velocity performance yesterday and the 1.5mm hollow point did not give good performance below 2000fps. It wanted to open at 1800fps but just did not quite do it. I think that it may have been a stability issue. At the low muzzle velocity the stability was marginal in the test rifle that we used. The test rifle has a 16" twist.

Any of you guys have a 14" or faster and up for shooting a few for testing?

Steve

I have 2 12 twists Steve, an 18 inch barreled 358 Win and a 24 inch barreled 35 Whelen. I'm starting to get ready for PA rifle season so I can try to do some testing for you.

Going to fire some off to Tanner. Fired the version with the 2mm hole yesterday and it looks like it will work well. Poor stability really inhibits bullet performance.

Will let you all know as soon as get info back.

Steve

Going to fire some off to Tanner. Fired the version with the 2mm hole yesterday and it looks like it will work well. Poor stability really inhibits bullet performance.

Will let you all know as soon as get info back.

Steve

These won't fly with the 1:14'' twist rate?! That's really bad news, because Shilen makes the only barrel I could find chambered for 35 that's currently available, but it's a 1:14'' twist!

These won't fly with the 1:14'' twist rate?! That's really bad news, because Shilen makes the only barrel I could find chambered for 35 that's currently available, but it's a 1:14'' twist!

I believe he meant you need AT LEAST a 14 twist, because Steve was using a 16. And Shilen definitely does a 12 twist in 358 cal. My 358 Win has a 12 twist Shilen barrel.

I believe he meant you need AT LEAST a 14 twist, because Steve was using a 16. And Shilen definitely does a 12 twist in 358 cal. My 358 Win has a 12 twist Shilen barrel.

After freaking out for a minute, I frantically googled their website and found I can custom order a barrel from them and receive it in 2-4 weeks =) I'll be waiting at least 3 months on the action to arrive, so I've got plenty of time. Phew!
Going with a #3 or #4 contour and a 1:12" twist.

Finally got caught up and cut some test bullets and sent them to Tanner O. Looking forward to his results. We really want to see them perform down to 1800fps. He will be testing 1.5mm hp and 2mm hp. Worst case we will have to try a larger hole yet. Pretty meaty bullet. Thing is fat enough to probably do the job without expansion. :D:rolleyes: Either Tanner O or I will post here with results.

Steve

It's gonna be awhile until I can try these bullets out, but I'm sure you'll have everything ironed out by the time my rifle is completed =) Just placed my order for the action!

My old Whelen AI had the 16" twist but I was really humming those Barnes and that 310 Woodleigh! (Its why I went to the 358 Norma, that Ackley case design showed "normal" pressure signs, but Quickloads revealed I was probably around 72K in pressure! I only have one good eye, my shooting eye, even with no problems in 20+ yrs of using this rifle I wasn't going to push it anymore) Speed is always the friend of the slow twist, ha! Even in the old 45-70 slow twist, about the time I got good accuracy with the 350 Hornady I was holding onto a "bear" in recoil, ha. I am confident a 14" twist will work on a magnum case round, especially in the 200 to 250 gr monos. The faster twist makes good sense on the standard rounds at reasonable pressures.

My old Whelen AI had the 16" twist but I was really humming those Barnes and that 310 Woodleigh! (Its why I went to the 358 Norma, that Ackley case design showed "normal" pressure signs, but Quickloads revealed I was probably around 72K in pressure! I only have one good eye, my shooting eye, even with no problems in 20+ yrs of using this rifle I wasn't going to push it anymore) Speed is always the friend of the slow twist, ha! Even in the old 45-70 slow twist, about the time I got good accuracy with the 350 Hornady I was holding onto a "bear" in recoil, ha. I am confident a 14" twist will work on a magnum case round, especially in the 200 to 250 gr monos. The faster twist makes good sense on the standard rounds at reasonable pressures.
The 45/70's you were shooting are a relatively short and fat bullet and thus the slow twist barrel is perfect for them.

The longer bullets get in comparison to their diameter the faster the twist rate needed to stabilize them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.