Never use a SAFETY

RustyRick

On Bolt actions or hammer equipped.

But really, I work as a gun room manager/salesman for one of the big box stores. I can't believe how many "seasoned" gun men pass me back a rifle COCKED!

I NEVER use a safety while hunting. I'll carry a live round in the chamber but close the bolt after pulling the trigger. Then if a shooting opportunity arrives I'll open and close the bolt to cock it just before aiming.

If I hear something in the bush around me I'll carry it with the bolt up.

All the meat or trophy's in the world aren't worthy of me or my hunting partner relying on my memory to have the safety on, or did I bump it off.

I know it clicks when I move the bolt action, and maybe when in a jump and shoot situation (like lots of tracks around) I might carry it in both hands with the safety on. But never, never slung over my back relying on a safety and my memory. (I'm over 65 :) )

What also amazes me is how MANY rifleman don't even know that their bolt action can latch un-cocked. GRR

Agree or dis-agree?

On Bolt actions or hammer equipped.

But really, I work as a gun room manager/salesman for one of the big box stores. I can't believe how many "seasoned" gun men pass me back a rifle COCKED!

I NEVER use a safety while hunting. I'll carry a live round in the chamber but close the bolt after pulling the trigger. Then if a shooting opportunity arrives I'll open and close the bolt to cock it just before aiming.

If I hear something in the bush around me I'll carry it with the bolt up.

All the meat or trophy's in the world aren't worthy of me or my hunting partner relying on my memory to have the safety on, or did I bump it off.

I know it clicks when I move the bolt action, and maybe when in a jump and shoot situation (like lots of tracks around) I might carry it in both hands with the safety on. But never, never slung over my back relying on a safety and my memory. (I'm over 65 :) )

What also amazes me is how MANY rifleman don't even know that their bolt action can latch un-cocked. GRR

Agree or dis-agree?
Totally disagree. If you chamber a round and release the trigger as it's closing your firing pin is then in contact with the primer and simply dropping the rifle could at least theoretically cause it to fire.

Further by then having to work the bolt you are either ejecting it in order to simply cock it or creating a bit of a mess trying not to kick that shell out and prevent a double feed.

If you want to have maximum safety then don't chamber a round at all.

As for not relying on someone's ability to make sure their rifle is on safety when a round is carried chambered, I do not want to be in the field with someone who lacks that minimal level of mental acuity.

One of the things I like best about my Winchesters and Rugers is the three position safety. You flat have to be a ****** not to be able to glance at it and not know whether or not your weapon is safe.

If a guy is uncomfortable carrying a round in the chamber then don't but there is no reason to worry about the safety failing on a modern firearm that is in good repair.

Wildrose - u know you don't have to cycle the bolt to cock it. A simple lift and right back down has it cocked. You didn't just learn that did you.

I'll bet nobody, but nobody has heard of a gun going of because the gun got dropped hard enough to detonate a primer. It takes a significant impact to detonate and if your firing pin spring is so weak that a drop can fire it from the extended position then it likely won't fire on purpose.

moaning about safeties and firing pins resting on a primer masks the real problem.... people walking around with no target in sight with a rifle with a chambered round. If you are using a single shot this is a bit more of an issue, but most rifles with a mag. have plenty of shots at the ready and playing with the bolt takes a second or so less than fully cycling a round.
I'm probably one of a very few people who have shot someone accidentally here on LRH while hunting. The reason; I slipped on wet grass as I pulled up and swung on a pheasant and jerked the shotgun back and to the side. My Pops took a number of pellets from the edge of the pattern to the leg from a bit over 100 yards away. Never ***-U-Me safety!!! Never!!!

If we were hunting together I would ask you to make your rifle safe the correct way or we'd part company. Having a firing pin resting on a primer won't cut it, why do you think we now have pistols with cross bars and why your supposed to pack an older single action on an empty chamber? For crying out loud, not packing a fire arm on a primer goes back to cap and ball :rolleyes:

I agree with the others, and it doesn't take a whole lot to set some primers off. I had one go off recently while using an inertia bullet puller, and didn't even hit the concrete block hard. I know what you are gonna say; there is still a lot of impact force but nothing even touched the primer. Never would I do what you speak of.
And then I purchased a grip-n-pull.

A safety in an enabler not a disabler.

Gonna sound like I'm picking on folks, but this is why most gun guys I know don't listen to people at gun counters.

I don't understand this thought process. If one needs to cycle a bolt to make it ready why not cycle the bolt from an empty chamber?

Wildrose - u know you don't have to cycle the bolt to cock it. A simple lift and right back down has it cocked. You didn't just learn that did you.

Your comments leave me with two indelible impressions:
1. You don't understand that not every rifle action cycles in the same manner as the rifle you describe. Try what you describe with a Remington 700 - but make sure it's pointed in a safe direction when you do your tricky move.
2. If you insist on handling your rifle in that manner, I wouldn't hunt with you if you paid me.

I'll bet nobody, but nobody has heard of a gun going of because the gun got dropped hard enough to detonate a primer. It takes a significant impact to detonate and if your firing pin spring is so weak that a drop can fire it from the extended position then it likely won't fire on purpose.

Wrong answer for sure! I hope you are not just learning that a gun without a firing pin block can and will allow the firing pin to go forward and hit the primer with a jar or hard knock on the butt. A weak firing pin spring allows the pin to forward easier and not harder as you imply!

I have seen 2-3 rifles do it plus I had a 1911 go off in a military flap holster cocked and locked with safety on. End of the holster looked just like in a cartoon.

Not a good day but fortunately the slug and jacket separated when the slug hit the downshift lever and the jacket went into my lower leg about 1 1/2 inches. Turns out about 1/2 our pistols just issued out of depots had weak springs. The rest of the team thought it was funny until they found our most of theirs would do the same thing.

Suggest you switch to fishing tackle sales!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.