Never use a SAFETY

Wrong answer for sure! I hope you are not just learning that a gun without a firing pin block can and will allow the firing pin to go forward and hit the primer with a jar or hard knock on the butt. A weak firing pin spring allows the pin to forward easier and not harder as you imply!

I have seen 2-3 rifles do it plus I had a 1911 go off in a military flap holster cocked and locked with safety on. End of the holster looked just like in a cartoon.

Not a good day but fortunately the slug and jacket separated when the slug hit the downshift lever and the jacket went into my lower leg about 1 1/2 inches. Turns out about 1/2 our pistols just issued out of depots had weak springs. The rest of the team thought it was funny until they found our most of theirs would do the same thing.

Suggest you switch to fishing tackle sales!

Love the last line!

I've carried guns loaded with the bolt down, never had a problem. I've carried them cocked and locked and never had a problem. I've seen triggers and safeties fail, causing guns to go off unintentionally. I've even seen somebody pull the trigger on an "unloaded" gun and have it go off. The simple fact is that guns can and will go off when you are not expecting, regardless of which methods you use while carrying. Therefore the most important rule of safety is to keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction. I don't see much difference in using the safety and putting the bolt down - in both cases you've got a cartridge in the firing position. I always unload for sketchy terrain or fence/creek crossings and usually carry loaded w/safety on otherwise.

I can't believe there are people on here who don't know how a bolt action works. Cycling the bolt to the rear has nothing to do with cocking/decocking.

Sorry man but I agree with all the replys. Why not just carry it without a round in the chamber, this assures no problems. Even when squirrel and turkey hunting with a shotgun I don't chamber on until I get to the place I'm going to sit. I have another caution. I know someone who was target shooting with a mosin and old surplus ammo he shot twice and on the third shot it just went "click" so he put the gun on the bench( without ejecting after a minute or so like I was taught to do on a misfire.) And he went to check his target. It was a hang fire!! And it shot him in the back he survived but he has a colostomy bag and serious health issues..

RustyRick... Each to his own, but I'd never hunt with you. 2 years ago, my nephew and I were hunting on the river, short range only so we were both loaded up with 12 gauges using 3" slugs.

We were working some thick... And he was off to my right. I could hear him but I couldn't see him as we were pushing through a couple of deer trails and it was quite overgrown. As I made it through to a clearing on the other side, I walked about 15 paces out of the thick and looked back to my right in an attempt to see where my nephew was. Just as I was doing so, his gun fired, and for a split second, I though he might be onto a buck, that is until I felt the wind from the round literally go right by my face.

A moment later, he emerged and explained that while he was getting ready to exit the thicker patch, his dog remote shocker that was clipped to his left side had its antenna slip into the trigger guard. As his arm swung forward in his natural stride, it engaged the trigger and set the gun off. At this point, he didn't know that he had about blown my head clean off. When I informed him how close a call it was... He went pale... Tried to get me to swear to secrecy as his wife worries enough when he's out hunting and he didn't want her to find out. He also just felt plain sick at what could have happened. I didn't get upset, but I have to admit that it was unsettling.

The point is he and I have hunted for years together and I'm not the type to ever tell someone that they have to hunt a particular way or another. I honestly didn't realize that he always hunted with me without ever having his safety engaged. I always do and just assumed he did also. Well... Those days are over. Anyone I hunt with is expected to have the safety engaged until they are ready to fire... It's not up for discussion. If that isn't cool by them... They can hunt with someone else, or somewhere else.

The incident above makes the third time in my life I've almost been killed by a person behind a weapon that lacked respect for the lethal nature of what they held in their hand.

They put safeties on guns for a reason. They don't always function as they should, but they are one more layer of protection against accidental discharges. The ultimate piece of safety equipment for any firearm is the shooter him/herself, but to not use a basic component installed to keep the weapon "safe" seems reckless and those hunting with you should start wearing Kevlar.

As gun owners, we all have a responsibility to those around us, as well as to not become another statistic in the ammunition used by the anti-gun community for reasons why the common man should not be allowed to possess or own firearms.

100 % disagree. It'd take longer for me to cock the bolt than it would to shoulder the rifle and push that little F-S switch a quarter of an inch. Plus I think it's idiotic to walk around with a live round in the chamber with the safety off. Sounds like a fatal accident waiting to happen......

Wrong answer for sure!

Suggest you switch to fishing tackle sales!

Ouch... :)
Regardless, I'd way rather learn of the safer ways to carry my firearm from comments posted on this Forum, than thru the unintended discharge of the firearm.

I think it's clear that what was thought to be the better, safer, way to carry a firearm - is in this case unsafe.

I personally know of two revolver accidents prepped to occur due to carrying a round in the cylinder under the hammer. A guy with a 454 Casull in his shoulder holster bent down on the bank of the Yukon River. His revolver landed on a rock on its hammer and discharged, shooting him in the chest. His buddy was standing next to him, but the gun owner was dead before he hit the ground. Was nothing nobody could have done to save him, even if he'd been in the most advanced hospital emergency room. My brother knew the victim and his partner, in a limited manner, as customers thru his gun shop.

In another instance, a friend of mine - not terribly naturally gifted in mechanical means, ways, and consequences - had a 44 Magnum revolver in a holster in his day pack, which he wore while competing with brown bears fishing for the salmon in the Kenai River. He pulled his backpack out of the trunk of his car and when he did, the revolver fell out and onto the concrete floor of his garage. Sure enough it also landed on the hammer. The revolver discharged a round up into the overhead living space. Neither he, nor his wife in the living area above the garage, were hit.

Neither of these revolvers had the transfer bar (safety mechanism) that now prevents these sorts of accidental discharges. I realize the odds of this happening with these older revolvers with exposed hammers is way greater than with most bolt action rifles. However the possibility does exist, and any possibility no matter how remote is unacceptable when the consequence is death to one's self or a hunting partner.

I can't believe there are people on here who don't know how a bolt action works. Cycling the bolt to the rear has nothing to do with cocking/decocking.

So you have worked the action of every type and know this to be a fact? Come look in my safe and you will see some that have to have the bolt cycled to the rear to be ready to fire.

I can't believe people think they know it all??????

I hope as a firearm saleman, your not promoting or teaching this technique to youth, new enthuisiasts, seasoned gun owners or anyone else. This has to be the most unsafe, accident prone, gun handling advise i have ever heard. If you choose to handle a firearm this way, that's your choice. I just hope everyone around you is aware of it. cause that would be my que to leave.

I was taught these things when I was young...
#1 loaded or unloaded... treat every firearm as if it was loaded.
#2 The safety is to be placed in the fire position ONLY when ready to fire.
#3 A safety is a man made device and should NEVER be trusted.
Finally, muzzle control muzzle control muzzle control!

It essentially boils down to common sense.

I think a closed bolt with the firing pin against the primer is less safe then using a well tested safety on your rifle particularly with an exposed cocking piece. If the end of the barrel is hit hard enough to drive the firing pin it can fire the primer. If I'm in a mode where the safety isn't under my control I will keep the chamber empty. The muzzle should be in a safe direction under all circumstances when not actually in a fire ready position. IMO

On Bolt actions or hammer equipped.

But really, I work as a gun room manager/salesman for one of the big box stores. I can't believe how many "seasoned" gun men pass me back a rifle COCKED!

I NEVER use a safety while hunting. I'll carry a live round in the chamber but close the bolt after pulling the trigger. Then if a shooting opportunity arrives I'll open and close the bolt to cock it just before aiming.

If I hear something in the bush around me I'll carry it with the bolt up.

All the meat or trophy's in the world aren't worthy of me or my hunting partner relying on my memory to have the safety on, or did I bump it off.

I know it clicks when I move the bolt action, and maybe when in a jump and shoot situation (like lots of tracks around) I might carry it in both hands with the safety on. But never, never slung over my back relying on a safety and my memory. (I'm over 65 :) )

What also amazes me is how MANY rifleman don't even know that their bolt action can latch un-cocked. GRR

Agree or dis-agree?

I strongly disagree also. Your method will work, but I think it is possible to have a slam fire when you lower the bolt with the trigger pulled, especially if you zealously close the bolt! This could be VERY dangerous and I don't recommend introducing this method of carrying a bolt rifle to people you sell a rifle to.

The safety is a factory safety device on the rifle and ALL users should be intimately familiar with its use. The last thing a novice rifle user needs is a couple of different methods for making the rifle safe for carrying with a round in the chamber. REMEMBER the words "Keep it simple stupid".

On Bolt actions or hammer equipped.

But really, I work as a gun room manager/salesman for one of the big box stores. I can't believe how many "seasoned" gun men pass me back a rifle COCKED!

I NEVER use a safety while hunting. I'll carry a live round in the chamber but close the bolt after pulling the trigger. Then if a shooting opportunity arrives I'll open and close the bolt to cock it just before aiming.

If I hear something in the bush around me I'll carry it with the bolt up.

All the meat or trophy's in the world aren't worthy of me or my hunting partner relying on my memory to have the safety on, or did I bump it off.

I know it clicks when I move the bolt action, and maybe when in a jump and shoot situation (like lots of tracks around) I might carry it in both hands with the safety on. But never, never slung over my back relying on a safety and my memory. (I'm over 65 :) )

What also amazes me is how MANY rifleman don't even know that their bolt action can latch un-cocked. GRR

Agree or dis-agree?

lightbulblightbulblightbulbSorry but I respectfully DISAGREE for the obvious reasons that others already noted. ALWAYS practice SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY ... regardless if you're work in gun sales or fishing tackles :D:rolleyes::cool::)! Murphy does not discriminate. lightbulblightbulblightbulb

Storing a rifle or any other fire arm with the firepine relaxed is one thing. Having it rest on the primer is another.. Easing the bolt down the way you do doesnt fulling release the spring pressure because the primer is holding the pine flush with the front of the bolt. All it will take is you dropping the rifle to set it off.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts