Need advice on a lightweight 7mm Allen Mag Build

djbwow2008

Im having a heavy 338 AX built by Kirby which should be done soon. Should be around 16 lbs ready to hunt. I have the bug and am getting ready to build a second gun.I want to build a lighter weight gun which I can carry more when the 338 Ax is just to heavy to go where I need to be. Im thinking about getting a 7mm Allen Mag.With the parts below it should weigh 8 1/2 - 9 lbs without scope. I just dont know if its a good idea to build the Allen Mag in such a light short gun. Depending on my funds I might use a BAT HRPIC or Defiance Machine Action. They are about the same weight. Is the much higher price worth it? I want to go as high power as makes sense in a lighter gun and cant seem to make up my mind. All opionions welcome. Want to hunt any thing from Deer-Hogs-Black bear and Elk.

1. Do you think the #5 fluted barrel will be stiff enough and be able to handle the heat because I dont want to burn barrel up faster than I need to.

2. Do you think the gun is to light for a 7mm Allen Mag? Will recoil be a problem even with brake?

3. How much velocity will be achieved in 25 1/2 in barrel?

4.Im also considering building the same gun in 338 Ax instead of the 7mm Allen Mag because I already have the loading dies.

5.What would the limits be to a lightweight gun like this 700 yards elk - 1200 yards deer sized game?

6.Does Manners still offer the T-2 in Carbon Fiber shell.IS it a better choice than the MCS-T. Should T-2 in Carbon Fiber shell weigh about 2.2 lbs?

7.Would it make more sense to build the same gun in 7mm RUM or 7mm Dakota and go with a Borden Timberline or Surgeon RLR Round Action?

Stiller Predator Extreme Action with pinned .300 recoil lug.....
Stiller Picatinny Rail 20 MOA......................................................
Jewell trigger..............................................................................
Rem BDL floor-plate,follower and spring ..................................

Wyatts extended box magazine..................................................
Lilja SS #5 fluted barrel 25 1/2 Inch.........................................
APS Slim Painkiller Muzzle brake................................................
Bead Blast barrel, receiver and brake.........................................
Manners Ultralight MCS-T Stock 90% Carbon Fiber Shell.........
Pillar bedding...............................................................................

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Kirby once told me he has a relatively light weight 7mm AM. Seems like it was similar to what you're looking for - weight wise. He told me but I can't remember what contour barrel he used. I'd see how he likes his rifle and check with him on the appropriate minimal barrel contour for that high intensity cartridge. I know his was shooting good for a lighter weight rifle, so I think it's doable.

I Have been emailing Kirby back and forth about this build. Just trying to get others opinions as well. Between this build and the one hes already doing I Feel bad about emailing him so much. He always answers in so much detail I don't know where he gets the time. Just trying to narrow down my options before I bother him again. Usually as soon as I hit send on email I remember something I forgot to ask.

Anyone building a rifle whose barrel changes point of impact as it heats up needs a spanking. With a proper stress relieved barrel fitted to a receiver with its face squared with the barrel tenon threads, it won't change impact as it heats up.

Barrel wear only happens in the bore 'cause that's where the hot erosive gasses are. It doesn't matter what length, shape or contour is.

Folks shooting the 7mm Rem. Mag. in competition got no more than 800 rounds of accurate barrel life. Any 7mm cartridge burning more powder will get less.

Good luck.

Phorwath,
Thanks for the info. I did a search and believe I found the rifle your talking about. It has a #3 Lilja barrel and weighs approx 8 1/2 lbs ready to hunt. Think he calls it Lil green. Found a recent post also where he mentions this gun again and discusses the success hes had with barrel life on this gun. Very helpful. Thanks

Dan

Dan,
That sounds right because Kirby used a Lilja #3 contour barrel on my 300 Win Mag and he was telling me about his 7mm AM using a similar contour barrel. Mine is 25 1/2" long. I think his 7mm AM is about 27-28 inches long if I recall correctly. He smoked an antelope with his 7mm AM way out there the season he and I discussed this. Good luck with you're rifle builds. I'm envious, but I've got about all the rifles I can load and shoot right now. Maybe I need to sell a couple and start afresh! :)

If you are limiting the barrel to 25.5" I'd look at the 7MM Dakota. It would make a great walk around rifle and you will already have a long range heavy hitter.

My .02

You could always look at the mcmillan stocks with their edge ultralight technology. I think some of the contours are claiming 20-22 oz. That would definately help to lighten it up. My $.02 . Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.