Lightweight 7mm Allen Magnum pics....

Just for comparision, in the rifle I used last fall hunting in Canada, 103 gr WC872 produced 3175 fps with the same bullet but in a 30" barrel. My new rifle with this new load will easily get within 25 fps of this load with 3" less barrel length and 4 lbs less rifle.

So the US869 Powder works pretty well. I just sent an email asking if you had a chance to test the rifle. Guess I should have read this first. In your opinion, is it a combination of barrel twist and different powder, or just the powder that allows the velocity? Sounds like 3200 to 3250 in a 30" barrel will be achievable with this powder.

65 DEGREES'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i could find a "smiley" that was a 6'5" guy crying i would use it!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We hit 105deg today, yeah it really sucks!! I guess its back to satans crotch for the Okies!

Glad to hear she is shooting good for ya Kirby. I really like the looks of that gun, you ready to make the 270AM of mine look the same??

So you tested her without the brake!! next thing you know you will be shooting the 510 breakless!!! Of course that might end you career and we might all be ****y with ya if you have to build our guns with only one arm!

Cant wait to see what she does in the long game

take it easy
steve

Mike/TX,

I know, I should not complain!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ya got to remember though, I am used to it being drier then a popcorn fart!!! 50% humidity and I sweat like a whore in church!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

TMR,

The differences, well, no doubt I am running a bit more pressure in the shorter barrel. I was holding the 30" barreled rifle back to insure bullet survival. I have a 34" barreled 7mm AM here that is nearling completion which will be intersting to see what she will do. It also has a 1-9 twist, 4 groove instead of 6 groove though.

Other then the pressure, the slower twist frees things up a big but not all that much.

The US869 powder is quicker burning then WC872. In some cases significantly faster burning so you can get more FPS with less powder.

In a 30" barrel, 3300 fps is fully atainable. Getting a bullet to survive it is what we are testing now. So far, from what I am seeing a 1-9 6 groove looks like the best bet so far. More to come on that later.

Kirby Allen(50)

Got out this morning to give the lightweight 7mm AM its first real long range test run.

I filed up my usual targets, one gallon milk jugs and headed out with my dad and brother as spotters. We set them up on the side of a steep side hill with very short grass so we would get an accurate idea of how close the impacts were to the jugs.

Then we drove back and found a good overlook to shoot from. I wanted to shoot at around 800 yards, this spot lazered right at 905 yards so I figured if the rounds shot well at this range they would work at any range.

I had loaded 15 rounds up at 102.0 gr which was good for right at 3150 fps. I figured in the cooler temps the slightly higher load would be totally fine and it proved to be 100% reliable and effortless in bolt lift and extraction, still well under the limits of this rifle and even the soft Norma brass I am using.

Plugged the numbers into Exbal. At 100 yards, I am printing 2.3" high. At 905 yards, it told me to use the fourth mil line down in the 3.5-10x 40mm Mk4 scope.

I got the rifle level and asked if my spotters were ready and they replied yes. At the brake of the trigger, the big 200 gr ULD RBBT landed about 4" low and 4" to the left of the jug I was targeting. This was out of a totally clean, oiled bore.

I took the same dead on hold for shot number two and at the bark of the rifle, dust kicked up right behind the jug. The report came back from my spotters that I was "JUST" high of the top of the jug.

I wanted to check the consistancy of the load so I lined up for shot #3 with the same hold. As I was concentrating on the 4th mil line down, I noticed something that made a smile come to my face, the dirt under the jug was turning black with mositure!!! A Hit on the first fouled shot though the barrel at 905 yards!!!

Onto jug two. Took the same hold to check consistancy. This shot landed dead center horizontally but just inches in front of the jug. For the next shot I held up about 1/3 of the jug and let another big 200 gr ULD RBBT rip down range.

At the impact I saw the jug roll back at the impact. The first four shots had landed in a group smaller then 1/2 of a milk jug at 905 yards and out of a sub 9 lb rifle as well. I was happy to say the least /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

We had other rifles to test at closer range so we loaded back up and headed to a closer shooting location. Ranged it at 390 yards and my Dad commenced to hammer two jugs in three shots. Even the miss would have easily been a kill shot on a pronghorn size target. He was using his 25-284 loaded with 100 gr Bonded Core FBHP loaded to right at 3350 fps.

After he was done I broke out the 7mm AM again to test the drop predictions. At 390 yards Exbal said to take a 3/4 mil hold. I did and the shot took the cap off the jug!!

I held slightly lower on the second shot and popped the jug dead center.

I shot four more times at rocks at various ranges and all landed totally predictable and easily under 1/2 moa from the desired point of impact.

I think I just fell in love with my new big game rifle!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And no this one is not for said, at least not until about the end of December /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

ACtually, I think this one may stay in the herd for a long time.

I still have to do some slight tweaking on the ballistics but she is pretty **** close as is right now!!

More to come soon. From this first long range test, I see no reason why this rifle will not offer legit 1000 yard big game performance. If my receiver does not get here from BAT, you may be able to see her at work in Idaho this fall on TV!!!

We will see.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 34" barreled 7mm AM here that is nearing completion which will be interesting to see what she will do. It also has a 1-9 twist, 4 groove instead of 6 groove though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that will be interesting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby,
That is exactly what I would want my dream rifle to look like. When I move down to Texas I might have to place an order. Also, what is the recoil like compared to a 7 ultra (unbroke) with 168 grain SMK's.
Thanks partner,
Brandon

Biff,

It will be on the Mens Channel. I am not sure the exact show that will be filming it. Shawn Carlock is dealing with that, I just have to get a rifle that will do the job!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Duckinalaska,

ITs more then a 7mm RUM with 168 gr pills by a fair margin without the brake. SHe is a pretty light rifle. I compare it to a bit more then a factory 300 RUM shooting 180 gr pills at 3400 fps.

That is without a brake however. With the brake is it about like a 270 Win in a sporter weight rifle. Thats with full tilt loads.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty,
Yeah, that's what I was refering to with the AM(broke) compared to the 7 ultra (unbroke). I thnk that I could handle a 270 win with no problems. Thats awesome!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.