More practice with the lightweight 7mm Allen Mag..

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Got out this morning to do some range practice before I spend a few hours in the shop working. It was a nice morning, 60 degrees and hardly any wind and what there was was right in my face at my set up location.

This was just an informal type practice session which most of mine are. Get the rifle set up as I would have it when hunting, bipod front, rear bag, find a small clear target to engage, generally a small light colored rock, range it, run the Exbal numbers and shoot off the recommended reference hold.

Only difference when I am hunting is that I will be reading off a cheat sheet on my scope instead. Much quicker and less stuff to pack into the field. Read that as less stuff to loose in the field!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I do this type of practice, I will shoot the rifle with a loaded mag, Rack one in and leave two in the magazine. I will shoot three shots at the target as quickly as I accurately can just as in a hunting situation if the first shot happen to not go as predicted.

1021Practice_with_the_7mm_AM-med.jpg

This is the view from behind the rifle. AS you can tell there was alot of smoke in the air today from some large forest fires in the area. Typical late summer day in Montana!!

The bend in the creek bottom at the bottom of the valley in front of my rifle is where I was directing most of my shooting at ranges from 825 to 1008 yards.

10211008_yards_3_shots_with_7mm_AM-med.jpg

This is one pic of the bank where I threw three rounds at it which could be clearly photographed to give an idea of bullet impact. The loaded rounds are sitting in the middle of the bullet strike for each hit.

I was aiming at the hole in the dirt bank which was roughly 4"x6" in size.

The first two shots were within an inch of each other with the third pulling slightly to the left abotu 6". Typical of what I have been seeing with this light barrel. First two are on the money, third will open up slightly.

In all my shooting today I realized that I needed to add roughly 3/4 moa into the vertical to match up better with the exbal preditions.

On all ranges I praacticed at today, I was consistantly impacting about 3/4 moa low. As I was alone it is a bit difficult to accurately read your impacts with this rifle at these ranges. The recoil is not a problem but the **** bullet gets there so fast its hard to get an accurate idea of the impact with the dust cloud that goes up.

After driving down and actually seeing exactly where the bullets impacted then I could determine I needed a bit more in vertical adjustment.

I cranked in a full moa in elevation and set the scope there. When temps cool into the 40-50 range I will do more fine tuning but this should be very close.

I am liking this little monster more and more after every practice session. Should be a fun big game season and I think I will have to hold onto this little rifle to keep in my personal herd. I think she is quickly becoming my "Go To" rifle without even drawing blood yet.

More to come. Load specs by the way are the 200 gr ULD RBBT loaded to 3140 fps.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Great story Kirby. Man, it must be nice to have so many places to shoot. It looks so beautiful in Montana, I 've been there a couple of times when I was in college. I played football and played in Mizzula Montana against the Grizz. Anyhow, it looks like the rifle is shooting very well. How much does this rifle weight? and how long of a barrel are you using. By the way, have you had a chance to quote me a price on the 338 Allen Mag we were discussing. Once again, excellent shooting. Thanks Kirby, have a great weekend.

Wildcat

I bet if you talked real nice to Santa Claus that she would leave you a decent shooting mat under the Christmas tree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Most likely you would have to promise not to get it dirty.

Buffalobob,

Whats wrong with my shooting pad???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That was my grand pappies so I can't throw it away!!!

I usually shoot off nothing like real hunting conditions but its a bit to warm for no coat and the ground is full of sharp sticky little things that really love to get into your elbows!!!

Say, I took a certain LONG barreled 7mm AM out earlier in the week. Just put my USS Xotic on the rail for testing. Used the same exact load I use in my rifle which gets 3140 fps in my 27" barrel.

Well, in that certain long barreled 7mm AM with a 34" 1-9 4 groove they were averaging 3340 fps!!! I was just plinking at 500 and 1100 yards to see if the bullets would handle the stress, Well, at 500 yards I was shooting at a milk jug full of water. First four shots just made a single hole in the dirt.

At 1100 yards they were well under 1 moa. After a full barrel break in I suspect you will easily play with 1/2 moa out to well past 1100 yards and with velocity no other 7mm AM has every reached before. Glad is was decided to go with the 1-9 with that velocity potential.

To that end, I was using Norma cases which are dramatically softer then Lapua cases. This is just a prediction but I would guess with Lapua cases that 3400 fps may be possible with this bullet if they would handle that strain.

There really is no need. Run the numbers on a .9 BC bullet at 3340 fps. I think you may be impressed.

Anyway, I thought you may be interested in this certain long barreled 7mm AM. When the NF gets here I will get everything mounted up and give her one last go before she is ready to leave!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Looks good Kirby, I always love to see those pics of your surroundings, beautiful.

Looks like the little 7mm will be hell on game this year!!!

We had our big shoot today and the 270AM definantly turned some heads, as well as that little 6-250 you built for a short little friend of ours. I will give a full write up soon, been up since 3am and I am tired as hell!!! Needless to say the power of the 270 was shown off as well as accuracy. She is still up and running after 800rnds!!!!

nice shooting
steve

Kirby you are making me work too hard. I only printed off charts up to 3300fps. Now I have to go print a new drop chart or two.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It just now struck me what you actually said. 200fps with the extra barrel lenght. That is really burning all of the powder. WOW.

[ QUOTE ]
There really is no need. Run the numbers on a .9 BC bullet at 3340 fps. I think you may be impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well
I went and worked up new drop charts.

With 2155 ft lbs of energy remaining at 1500 yds I believe you built what I asked for--- a 1500 yard elk rifle.

Now to find a cooperative elk.

ok fellows, I'm new to this long range, great shooting stuff, but i love the 7mm; my attention is now on more info on this great sounding caliber, the 7mm allen mag. can you'll give more details or tell me where to find more info on this gun.
thanks in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts