Promised pics of the 510 Allen Magnum...

This is the first time my four 50 BMG's have felt insecure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

FOr a 50 cal I like 20 fps or less if possible. Some 50s will simply not do this but I suspect the Lilja barrel on my 510 AM will.

IT seems to be more difficult to get a big 50 cal to get true single digit extreme spreads. I go by extreme spreads, not standard deviation. The reason is because you can have a 15 shot string with the vast majority of rounds producing a single digit SD but have a couple rounds really fly out of the group velocity wise.

Personally I feel extreme spread is a better figure as far as telling you if your load is a good consistant load. Just a personal thing. When either are used correctly they both serve the same purpose. Its just alot harder to get a true single digit extreme spread compared to standard deviation.

Kirby Allen(50)

Picture request..

Could you take a picture of your 338 Allen mag cartridge inside the loading port of that AR-50? Just to get the sence of how big that action is? I have read is was made for the 20mm Hispano(??) cartridge, wich is larger then the BMG.

Fifty, great engineering. I like your bolt travel solution
and will apprciate a contact when you get some long range accuracy results for an order. As a user of long heavy tubes myself, a vented bedding block solution appears to eliminate any action flex for me, makes bedding dead-easy and may, by increasing the mass of the rifle, further reduce the recoil when you hit 2,950fps. Well done and Congrats! Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Norhman,

Here is the pic you wanted.

1021338_AM_round_in_510_AM_receiver-med.jpg

Kind of makes the 338 AM look like a 22-250 AI or something like that!!!

I am not sure if the receiver was designed for the 20mm Hispano or not. I do not think the bolt face could be opened up that large or not. I did hear that it was designed to handle the longer 50 Russian round which is a bit longer then the BMG.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

could you post a picture of the case it's self. I've been reading these post but want to see the case it's self and one with a bullet in it. perhaps next to a 50bmg case thanks.............

That action looks huge! One of the 50's I shoot is a McBro's, it has a 30 inch lilja. I get 2820 with the 750amax. Im dying to see what u kick the velocity up too!

What load are you using to get 2820 fps with the 750 gr A-Max. I have shot alot of 50 BMG rifles with this bullet and in a 32-36" barrel length, all have limited out at around 2700 to 2750 fps with proper pressures for the 50 BMG, that being, being able to rechamber a fired round with no real resistance on the bolt when you close it on the fired case in the chamber.

I have run them over 2900 fps so far with decent results but thats starting to move the brass quite a bit and resizing takes some effort.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.