Promised pics of the 510 Allen Magnum...

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
TO all. I got out this morning to do a bit of my personal shooting as well as test a couple other rifles for customers.

Many of you wanted to see some better pics of my 510 Allen Mag so I took some.

I was just shooting some fireforming loads in Virgin cases as well as in some semi formed cases which I had annealed so the shoulder would sharpen up properly so I can send a few off to get dies made.

I was only shooting at 100 yards but the virgin fireforming loads simply refused to puch groups larger then 3/8" for three shots. Now these loads are tripping the chrono at only 2400 fps so they are VERY easy to shoot. The load I used for these was 215 gr H-50BMG under the 750 gr A-Max.

For the semi formed cases I poured some more powder to them using 240.0 gr H-50BMG under the 750 gr A-Max. When I held the big rifle steady they shot just as well as the lighter loads but I was shooting off the bipod which flops side to side quite easily. When the reticle would roll to the right, the shot would be slightly to the right, when she rolled left the shot would print slightly to the left.

THese heavier load averaged 2745 fps for 10 shots. There was more velocity variation then I like to see but the load density is MUCH lower then it really should be. When I get serious about doing load development I will be starting with US869 and VV 20N29 which should both improve load density dramatically.

Just comparing the load data for H-50BMG to US869 with the 750 gr A-Max. Hodgdon lists a max load of 233.0 gr for H-50BMG and 250.0 gr for US869.

Now in real life, if you put 233.0 gr of H-50BMG in a match rifle chambered for a 50 BMG you would probably not get the bolt open. I have found absolute max with this powder and bullet in most 50 BMG rifles will be in the 215 to 222 gr range max. Seeing that the 510 AM will comfortably take 240 gr of powder shows how much case capacity has increased.

Hodgdon also lists that US869 will produce from 125 to 150 fps more velocity then H-50BMG with the 750 gr A-Max and even better with the heavier bullet weights!!!

Here are the pics.

1021510_AM_right-med.jpg

1021510_AM_rear_right-med.jpg

1021510_AM_front_left-med.jpg

Here is a pic of a six shot group I shot with the 2745 fps load.

10216_shot_group_510_AM-med.jpg

Considering my crude bullet seating system this is much better then I ever expected. OAL varied as much as 25 thou. I am making tooling right now to correct this problem until the dies get in. Still, just shy of 3/4" for six shots at 100 yards with a 750 gr bullet at just under 2750 fps is a pretty good start.

I will probably put the rest of the 510 AMs testing on hold until I get the dies made and get through the big game rifle rush for customers which I am in the middle of right now!!

More to come soon though.

Kirby Allen(50)

Looks like she might just be a "shooter".

Maybe if the chucks don't want to cooperate because of the weather, you could aim a little low and root them out with this and pop them with the 338 AM. Just a thought. I'll bet those big slugs move a lot of terrain when they hit.

Looks a little bit different than most Allen Mags but necessity is the mother of invention, and this big buster is a long range hammer in a league of it's own.

So far, at least, I've never had an overwhelming urge to own a fifty cal but I'd bet this one would be a ball to shoot.

Keep us posted when you continue testing with this big thumper.

Kirby,

Very impressive to say the least. Accuracy can only get better!
Is that a "compact" scope you have on that rifle? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

JD338

[ QUOTE ]
Kirby,

Very impressive to say the least. Accuracy can only get better!
Is that a "compact" scope you have on that rifle? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

JD338

[/ QUOTE ]
Scope? I was wondering where he got a rear bag that tiny! That thing must have been stiched by smurfs!

Good looking set up. I really like that muzzle break you made for her, looks nice. Do you ever get curious and entertain the thought of shooting that mig mother without the break????

Good looking rig,
steve

[ QUOTE ]
I got out this morning to do a bit of my personal shooting as well as test a couple other rifles for customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby...first thing...sweet looking rig! I also liked the lightweight 7mm AM.

I pasted the above quote in hopes that you fired at least one "customer pistol" in your test shooting this AM?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lerch,

Shooting the 215 gr loads under the A-Max, yes I was curious about the recoil without a brake.

After shooting the 240 gr loads with the same bullets, I can say with no hesitation that I have no curiousity at all what the recoil feels like without the brake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

When our paths cross I will make sure I have the 510 with me and you can tell me what it feels like without the brake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!! And if you do I freely admit your more man then I am!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Dan B,

Have a day or two wait left for the bedding to fully cure. It is critical with a big XP-100 that the bedding is fully cured before you touch a few rounds off. If not, all is for not!!! Better to wait a couple extra days to make sure then have to rebed the handgun!!

It will be this week though for sure.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Oh buddy, dont dare me!!! I have done a lot dumber things in my life!!! You ever head down this way during summer and I will show you dumber things called handfishing!!! My right hand has just healed up from 2 weeks ago and a 8lb flathead catfish. Little sucker had a attitude with him!!!

Then again when we meet up i might have you leave the brake on, no need to re arrange my shoulder and face just so i can brag about it. WAIT A MINUTE, havent you ever heard the famous last words of every redneck, "WATCH THIS"!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I cant wait to see you come up with some kind of penetration test with that big sucker. I have no idea what you could use, maybe a couple of dozen cinder blocks!!!

take it easy
steve

Fifty, man that's one scary round with a 750grn bullet. What kind of velocity are you wanting to get with this caliber after fire forming. What is the length and diameter at the muzzle on your barrel.

Wildcat,

I was looking to push 2900 fps with the 750 gr pills and 2700 fps with the 835 gr bullets. We are planning on testing some 1000 gr pills as well and hope to break 2550 fps with these???

The 2750 fps load with the 750 gr A-Max is pretty mild yet so I have alot of room to increase I think but want to get the dies in before I get real serious with load testing.

The barrel is a 35" straight cylinder with a 1.750" diameter all the way to the muzzle. The flutes are special 7/16" wide flutes that I had Dan Lilja tool up to do for my larger barrels. My lightweight 338 AM barrel has these same large flutes but it is a much slimmer barrel contour obviously.

Kirby Allen(50)

Lerch,

Sounds like it could be dangerous if you and Richard ever get together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!! He was a bit of a dare devil in his younger days, seems to have settled down a bit with age!!!

I had him agreeing to shoot the 510 AM without the brake when he was down here for a $20 but it never happened. I am sure it will. I know he is more man then me!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, how much does the barrel weigh by itself. I know the action is about 7LBS, but I am curious about the barrel.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts