Need some advice on build/swap

carpetman2

I have a factory Weatherby Van. Series 2 in 270wsm. I love this gun, but I want to shoot the 165 & 175 Mattrix & Berger 170 vld's. I also have a nearly new Savage 116 "cabela's special" with the fluted heavy sporter barrel in 6.5x284. This has the long action. I love this gun too but I want to shoot something that will knock down a Bull @ 900 yards with one shot and I think the 270wsm with the right barrel & Bullet will do that. So, shoud I just build the Vanguard and sell the 6.5 or take the 6.5 and rebarrel it with a fast twist barrel for 270wsm and sell the Vanguard? The Savage does have the larger mag. for the longer VLD's which the Vanguard does not have. ??? love your input.

I have a factory Weatherby Van. Series 2 in 270wsm. I love this gun, but I want to shoot the 165 & 175 Mattrix & Berger 170 vld's. I also have a nearly new Savage 116 "cabela's special" with the fluted heavy sporter barrel in 6.5x284. This has the long action. I love this gun too but I want to shoot something that will knock down a Bull @ 900 yards with one shot and I think the 270wsm with the right barrel & Bullet will do that. So, shoud I just build the Vanguard and sell the 6.5 or take the 6.5 and rebarrel it with a fast twist barrel for 270wsm and sell the Vanguard? The Savage does have the larger mag. for the longer VLD's which the Vanguard does not have. ??? love your input.

Just an opinion but for what you want, I would recommend a dedicated rifle build in something like a 338. There are lots of rifles that will kill at 900 yards, But how far they can run after the shot is
the concern.

The 338s carry lots of energy at those distances and are very capable of one shot kills that you don't have to track after the shot.

There are lots of good actions that can handle the 338's with the Magnum size case heads and you would not have to tear down a perfectly good rifle to build something. Nothing wrong with having 3 rifles.

J E CUSTOM

I'm a big 7mm fan, and while a big 7 would work, I will still say that for what you want, a .300 Wby or .300 RUM might be in order...Or larger.

For a short action magnum, look into the new 300 SS (Sherman Shortmag).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.