Need advice/info on a build...

95huskers

Guys I'm looking at getting a 6mm or 6-284 built for coyote hunting. I have plenty of heavy guns so I'd like to keep this one on the light side for carrying. The only thing I'm dead set on at the moment is a McMillan A3 stock and Remington action. Could you please help me out on what I should look at for a barrel and also what I should expect for a final price start to finish?

I'm sure you'll get a variety of different answers but if it were me I would go with a fluted #4 or #5 at 26in. long and it would be chambered in 6-284.

Barrel $350ish for unfluted and $500ish for fluted

$225ish for action work if you choose to have it blue printed. Some think this is unnecessary, I personally think it's cheap insurance.

$225ish for barrel install. Chambering, crown, threading, etc. etc.

$225ish to have the stock pillar bedded to your action. I suppose this is something you could skip if you wanted to but I couldn't imagine not having it done.

For me, these would be the minimum costs I would expect. This doesn't include any trigger work or trigger replacement. Most smiths charge around $50 to adjust a factory Remmy trigger and $225ish for a Jewel. Are you going to have it bead blasted, leave it bare or have it coated. Price ranges from $35-$225ish. If you want a muzzle brake, that will be another $200-$225.

These prices will vary a little depending on the gunsmith but they should be pretty close.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.