My perfect Wyoming Mountain rifle build thread

I had never heard of Apex bullets, so I had to look them up. If the b.c. and minimum velocity of the 187 gr 30 cal are accurate, that would be about a perfect bullet in my mind.

Still loving this rifle! Only harvested one elk with it this year, but it worked fantastic in the pack, and when I took this cow at 420 yards from sitting position resting on my tripod, did exactly what it was supposed to. The Apex 187 did well too, the cow went about 25 yards and piled up, barely out of sight, thankfully right before she dropped into some nasty dark timber on the north facing slope of the mountain top I shot her on.

These apex bullets also make it easy to see your impact, as they leave a smoke trail of cutting oil, like some other lathe turned bullets do. Slow down the video and you can really see it well

Still loving this rifle! Only harvested one elk with it this year, but it worked fantastic in the pack, and when I took this cow at 420 yards from sitting position resting on my tripod, did exactly what it was supposed to. The Apex 187 did well too, the cow went about 25 yards and piled up, barely out of sight, thankfully right before she dropped into some nasty dark timber on the north facing slope of the mountain top I shot her on.

These apex bullets also make it easy to see your impact, as they leave a smoke trail of cutting oil, like some other lathe turned bullets do. Slow down the video and you can really see it well

Ole meat in the POT!!!

With proper rifle support and foundation weight shouldn't be the issue at all getting a rifle stable for a shot.
I have found this as well. This rifle has proven capable to over 1000 yds, in the hands of a good rifleman. Weight can help for sure, but isn't a requirement for making good shots at range. Especially considering the "average" shot distance of most hunters. This 9ish lb rifle has proven more than adequate for ranges much, much further that what is typical. Again though, good foundational shooting skill is a must.

For new shooters, I generally have them use my heavier rifles, they help compensate, are easier to shoot well, and are far more forgiving to shoot. But for me.....I like my compact packable rifle.

I have found this as well. This rifle has proven capable to over 1000 yds, in the hands of a good rifleman. Weight can help for sure, but isn't a requirement for making good shots at range. Especially considering the "average" shot distance of most hunters. This 9ish lb rifle has proven more than adequate for ranges much, much further that what is typical. Again though, good foundational shooting skill is a must.

For new shooters, I generally have them use my heavier rifles, they help compensate, are easier to shoot well, and are far more forgiving to shoot. But for me.....I like my compact packable rifle.
Yes sir. My rifle, very similar to yours, runs under 9 lbs. I just practice in the field with a triggercam and try and improve that foundation at a fast pace. I hunt predators mainly so I don't always have time nor can cut the distance. Take what I get if the conditions allow. That generally means I have a plan in my head, execute the plan, and with a small target at long range I need to get solid quickly. I have packed 14 lb rifles and the same issue was there, not solid, not going to be good. Only time I felt a boat anchor was fun to shoot was at a range or a PRS match where I was not backpacking and hiking miles and miles. I do believe a heavier rifle helps maintain sight picture much better than a light rifle and that does have merit on follow ups, spotting your impact, etc. You cannot always get into the best position to control that recoil in the field. Guess I could hit the gym more.......

Recent Posts