My perfect Wyoming Mountain rifle build thread

Love the build and how purpose driven ur selections were made (XLR makes some sweet chassis and I'd love to do a build with a BAT as it was down to that and a Terminus for my recent build.

@codyadams .. as I read thru the full 15 pages I was wondering from the start why you would put a can on this build and not just run either just a brake or even non-braked barrel given the length and weight objectives you were trying to achieve and then I noticed in ur recent hunting pics you just had a brake on it. Can you share more on your thoughts / reflections here. Much appreciated.

Kevin
It was built for running supressed, however my can had an issue that silencerco was great about fixing, and plan on doing a separate write up on that. I would have preferred to have it supressed this season, however that wasn't an option. Next season it will be however. The gun without a brake or can would be pretty intense to shoot, the 3 port silencerco asr brake makes it manageable, however the can makes it pleasant. If my intention was to run it exclusively braked, I would put a better brake on it immediately ha ha.

The reason to have it supressed though, some of the places I hunt mule deer hold several good bucks in a relatively small bowl, and unsupressed rifle fire will spook them out or make them nocturnal. However a suppressed rifle doesn't spook other game out, so my wife, or cousin, or whoever else I'm hunting with has better chances of getting on another deer in the same general area

Big horn tl3
Tt diamond
Xlr 4.0 magnesium
Leupold vx6
Tbac ultra 7 and dominus. I am running the dominus mainly now due to the shorter length.
I'm not fully caught up on this thread. If you haven't already posted pics of this build, will you please? I'm really curious to see what it looks like in all it's glory, and also folded up and in a pack.

I'm not fully caught up on this thread. If you haven't already posted pics of this build, will you please? I'm really curious to see what it looks like in all it's glory, and also folded up and in a pack.
Not sure if I have a pack photo. Will dig
6B504834-35C1-47D8-B9C7-A6D2379DD797.jpeg

Small update, on the subject of barrel life with the 30 nosler. While I am not running this at all out max pressure, I'm not sandbagging it either. Went out and shot the rest of my loaded rounds, 15 of them. I had reduced my load the first time it gained speed, to stay at 2930 fps, and it seemed to gain a little more speed this time out, but leveled out, at an average of 2955 with these 208's, the 15 rounds had an e.s. of 14 fps. So, I think it's fully up to speed now, 191 rounds in.

As I'm going to be working up loads with a different bullet now, I figured I would give it a good cleaning. First off, I just used a little jb bore bright on a patch, gave it 50 strokes, put two hoppes soaked patches through, then three or four dry patches through, and took a look with the bore scope. This is what I found -

End of chamber -
Photo_20230417114615.jpg

Freebore -
Photo_20230417114619.jpg

Beginning of throat -
Photo_20230417114624.jpg

Rifling where throat transitions to full depth -
Photo_20230417114635.jpg

1" down full depth rifling -
Photo_20230417114641.jpg

As you can see, hardly any sign of fire cracking, and only at the case mouth.....other than that it darn near looks brand new, after almost 200 rounds. I attribute a lot of that to the fact I'm using H1000, but it's looking like this rig is gonna have a nice long life!!

Small update, on the subject of barrel life with the 30 nosler. While I am not running this at all out max pressure, I'm not sandbagging it either. Went out and shot the rest of my loaded rounds, 15 of them. I had reduced my load the first time it gained speed, to stay at 2930 fps, and it seemed to gain a little more speed this time out, but leveled out, at an average of 2955 with these 208's, the 15 rounds had an e.s. of 14 fps. So, I think it's fully up to speed now, 191 rounds in.

As I'm going to be working up loads with a different bullet now, I figured I would give it a good cleaning. First off, I just used a little jb bore bright on a patch, gave it 50 strokes, put two hoppes soaked patches through, then three or four dry patches through, and took a look with the bore scope. This is what I found -

End of chamber -
View attachment 457004

Freebore -
View attachment 457005

Beginning of throat -
View attachment 457006

Rifling where throat transitions to full depth -
View attachment 457007

1" down full depth rifling -
View attachment 457009

As you can see, hardly any sign of fire cracking, and only at the case mouth.....other than that it darn near looks brand new, after almost 200 rounds. I attribute a lot of that to the fact I'm using H1000, but it's looking like this rig is gonna have a nice long life!!
Lets be honest here ... I think it all comes back to who cut the chamber!! :cool: 😁

looks good Mr. Cody!!

Here it is with the new, silencerco EVO can, love it! This is as heavy as this build gets, with all accessories attached. This year, I'm gonna be running the 187 Apex bullets, after season be looking for the review/write up over on LRO in the "Bullet Guide" section of the site.

View attachment 484617View attachment 484618
View attachment 484619
Any info on the Apex bullets(tangent/secant ogive, hard or soft compound, stays together or pedals, etc.) and what is your barrel twist ?
Nice build !