My perfect Wyoming Mountain rifle build thread

Great to see it doing work.

I built a 20 inch 7 saum last year running 180 hybrids and love it. Loaded to hunt with an NX8 it just touches 8 pounds.

I love it so much I sold my 10 pound 26 inch 30 nosler and have begun talking to my smith about cloning the above rifle in 30 or possibly 30-28 throated for 230-245 hybrids.

Congrats on a great season.

Well....had a pretty awesome elk hunt the last few days with @Wedgy ha ha.

Took a few days (thats another thread!) but we managed to get into some elk and get a double! He got a nice cow at 690 using his 338 edge and a 275 CE Lazer, and I got one at 590, the 208 LRHT did work! Both elk dropped in their tracks. From late spring/early fall, all the way to deep snow and teen temps, this rifle is exactly what I wanted it to be!

View attachment 418163
View attachment 418164

My shooting position!
View attachment 418162

Hit center body, right in the crease of the shoulder, exited front of the shoulder on the off side
View attachment 418165

Truck bed full of elk pieces!!
View attachment 418166

Couldn't ask for much more out of this rifle!
Cody proved that Bergers do not pencil thru in cold temps(another thread), and I am liking that short barrel after hauling my 29" tube for 4 days. Also found some rangefinder shortcomings in the cold and snow. I came from So Cal where the low was 34F at night and people were freaking out.
cold.jpg
. Awesome time with a great friend !

Harvester seems like an odd choice for this. I have one. It's 11" long. Is it even rated for that short a barrel in a big .30?

The results are impressive. Did you manage to recover any of those 208s?
Haven't recovered one yet, but my cow did have fragments around the exit, bullet came unglued as the Bergers typically do, doing massive internal damage. Lost very very little meat though, due to shot placement.

Harvester seems like an odd choice for this. I have one. It's 11" long. Is it even rated for that short a barrel in a big .30?
I talked to silencerco and they said that my set up is the max for the can, but it is sufficient. That being said, I plan on making another thread on an issue I had with the can, however I'm waiting until everything is all sorted out.

@codyadams that thing is sexy as hell. Any chance you tried 225 eldms?
Na, while they would probably work fine, I don't know if I would gain anything but recoil with the 20" barrel. I would guess I would end up around 2700-2800 for an accurate load, but at 9.5 lbs supressed, may be a little hard to manage. I originally geared this around the 205 badlands, which I will revisit this spring, hopefully get them to shoot better.

Love the build and how purpose driven ur selections were made (XLR makes some sweet chassis and I'd love to do a build with a BAT as it was down to that and a Terminus for my recent build.

@codyadams .. as I read thru the full 15 pages I was wondering from the start why you would put a can on this build and not just run either just a brake or even non-braked barrel given the length and weight objectives you were trying to achieve and then I noticed in ur recent hunting pics you just had a brake on it. Can you share more on your thoughts / reflections here. Much appreciated.

Kevin

@codyadams and @Elk Hunter 338, Nice build!
There were some estimates as to what the 20" Bartlein 4 CF barrel would weigh, and I saw the blank weight, but did you ever get a weight of the finished barrel before it was screwed on?
According to all my photos I went through, the chambered barrel, plus silencerco asr break, is 2.658 lbs. The brake is 3.4 oz I believe, so that puts the chambered 20" threaded barrel at 2.445 lbs. My initial estimate was 2.625 lbs, so came in less than predicted by a couple ounces

Last edited: