Father-in-law's rifle build thread

codyadams

So my father in law moved out to Wyoming with us, and after tagging along for a season, he decided he wanted a long range rifle as well, so we got started!

First off, for the foundation of the rifle, we started with a Christensen arms action, from JA outdoors. We went with a long action mag bolt face, as this is mainly a deer and elk rifle.

Next, we picked out a barrel. This was always planned to be a short barreled rifle, to keep weight down as well as make it handle well with a can. It will be a scabbard rifle, and on top of that, my F.I.L. is about 5'5", so he wanted a little bit shorter rifle. We went with a sendero contour proof stainless barrel, .284 cal 8 twist. We went with a heavier contour so we could have a 5/8x24 thread and still a good shoulder for a can, and then had it fluted and cerakoted to keep weight down, improve balance some and match the next part, the stock.

My F.I.L. wanted a thumbhole stock, and liked the laminated wood pattern, so we went with a boyds featherweight thumbhole, in coyote pattern.

After that, we had it chambered by straitjacket armory, in 7 Sherman Max, and cut to 20". Also, he has a silencerco harvester in jail right now on an e-form, but until then, it is wearing a MBM lil beast 3 port.

I did the inletting and bedding, and then cut about 1" off the LOP, and added a pachmeyer grind-to-fit recoil pad and shaped it. Now, the LOP is 12.75", about perfect for him. I'm gonna be mounting up a meopta 3-18 in some tally one piece rings.

Next up, is to start load developement!

20220702_150619.jpg
20220702_150559.jpg
20220820_105339.jpg
20220820_105331.jpg
20220820_105351.jpg

Last edited:
Nice bedding job! Also like the cerekoted fluting matching the stock. Now the fun part begins! FIL should be very happy. What does it weigh? W/O scope.
Bare rifle, is 7.86 lbs. Just for information, the fluting took off .97 lbs, pretty significant. Weighed it before and after having the fluting done

What do you use for bedding compound, and how do you clean up what's your process? Rifle looks really good!
Devcon steel putty. And just a dremmel with different shaped hardened high speed steel 1/4" shank burr bits, depending upon where I'm removing material. Biggest thing I learned was just to go super slow, really helped get clean cuts

Figured I would throw this in here.....

Before fluting, all up, ready to hunt -
20220702_170535.jpg

After fluting, all up, ready to hunt -
20220901_192259.jpg

So I was actually off a little bit, the fluting actually took off .996 lbs. I have heard people say that you only loose a few ounces with fluting, but it really depends on the fluting, much more can be reduced!

Recent Posts