My son's first rifle build thread!

Well, he got his check, and I had time this weekend unfortunately being in a hospital (different story) so I got the stuff ordered up for his rifle build.

We did decide to modify the chambering for now. We are going with a .260 ai, I have everything for it as I have one, its cheaper to load for, with lots of components available, and I figure once he gets a few years on the rifle, we can swap the barrel out to a full on elk chambering like a 300 ss or 300 wsm, instead of an in-betweener like the 270 ss would be. With a supressor, it will be sweet to shoot as well.

Also went with a 22" medium sporter contour x-caliber barrel, with a 7 twist, to run some of the 130+ monos out of it, so I can be confident of penetration and likely exits on elk.

For a scope, we're gonna start out with an Arken sh4 6-24, so we could keep it in his budget, but still have a decent optic to get him used to dialing.

Got the timney trigger on it's way, pretty much essential!

Lastly, got the XLR Element 4.0 aluminum chassis on order. This one is gonna be a while.....they quoted 25-30 weeks. Hopefully it will be like my previous orders from them, and beat their quote significantly. Until then, we will just throw it in the current stock until it gets here, so he can at least start shooting after the 8-10 week wait for the barrel. Probably get 100 rounds of Peterson or Alpha SRP brass ordered up next!

Found an awesome sale on some bullets......only $90 per 500 of these! Applied ballistics states they have a .340 G7 to boot......should be awesome for teaching him how to stretch out his capabilities!!! All that is left is to snag some brass.....I could get some Peterson srp .260 brass, but Peterson is what I run in my .260ai, so I think I'm gonna wait to see if I can find some Alpha srp brass so we are using different brass.

20221112_120117.jpg

looks good!!! I did a chasis for my kid too to try to set him up for a while.
I'm sure you know but arken has those smaller scopes now. Save some weight.
My kid is 10 and I really noticed the weight being a factor once he couldn't rest it.

looks good!!! I did a chasis for my kid too to try to set him up for a while.
I'm sure you know but arken has those smaller scopes now. Save some weight.
My kid is 10 and I really noticed the weight being a factor once he couldn't rest it.
Yup, they came out about a month after I ordered it ha ha. I may buy one of the lighter ones for him, and throw the one we already got on one of my rifles

My kid is left eyed so I put a eotech instead of scope it was pretty awkward for him to have follow up shots with scope. Made a huge difference

We did decide to modify the chambering for now. We are going with a .260 ai, I have everything for it as I have one, its cheaper to load for, with lots of components available, and I figure once he gets a few years on the rifle, we can swap the barrel out to a full on elk chambering like a 300 ss or 300 wsm, instead of an in-betweener like the 270 ss would be. With a supressor, it will be sweet to shoot as well.
Cool, and I was going to offer up a low round count 18" threaded X-Caliber 1:7 6mm Creedmoor barrel to you.

Attachments

• 20200822_163639.jpg
    20200822_163639.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 71
  • 20200706_190756.jpg
    20200706_190756.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Well, had some time on this set of days off and got the barrel installed, took about half an hour counting the time to clean up the threads on the nut and reciever, and use the gauge to set headspace.

So on the optic, right after we bought the Arken, the same company came out with a lighter version of their scope, like a full lb lighter version. So I'm going to likely throw the heavy arken he bought on my other .260 AI, then buy him the lighter version to put on this gun in trade. Until then, I threw on this vortex I had on my .260 AI, which is almost identical weight to the new light weight Arken I'm going to get for him in trade for the heavy one. This wood stock is 2.45 lbs, so very similar to what his chassis will weigh with a magazine, so it's looking like his rifle will be under 9 lbs all said and done. I think that will be manageable for him, pretty similar to my first rifle, but this will fit him better.

I think we're gonna start load developement with the 145 match burners and h4831sc and see if we can get him a decent load in this rifle, so when we get the chassis it will be ready to torque down and start going after coyotes!

The chassis is still a few more months out, but this is what we got so far!

20221227_220703.jpg
20221227_220129.jpg

Hell yeah Cody this is awesome! Even for wrong handed people 😂😂 kidding.

I'm in the same boat. Building my daughter a Triple deuce in an XLR chassis with a remage set up. Waiting on barrel to get done currently. I was going to surprise her with it but may have her help after reading this thread!

Great work brother! Oh and excellent choice on the 260! When she gets ready to step up to a deer caliber that's probably the cartridge my daughter will end up with as well.

We're in the same situation. But he's mowing lots with the tractor. Right handed left eye dominant. I side of building we were planning on going with the Christensen arms in the 7mm08. Not many make left handed rifles. I wish tikka made a left handed in the synthetic stalk. They don't. Only in the walnut. I told Gage when he hits $700 I'll cover the rest. Hoping this year he will hit it. Has half as of now.
Congratulations. You have a hunting partner

Hey now, we didn't get to choose! 🤣

@codyadams Good looking setup. I'm sure your boy is chomping at the bit to get out and shoot. IIRC, you got a crazy good deal on the 145's. Have you ever shot any critters with them? I have with the 6mm 112's but not the 6.5mm 145's. Just curious.

t
Ya I did, like $98/500 ha ha. Haven't shot them yet, but plan to start initial testing on prarie dogs!