Father-in-law's rifle build thread

Crazy story about the horse and your FIL. Sounds like they were both lucky to make it. Scary and trying situation, I'm sure. Glad he's doing well and will be back in the saddle this season.

Rifle looks good. On your wedge, wrap the barrel with electrical tape until the action doesn't teeter. If you're worried about finish (I messed up a little spot on a carbon barrel) wrap it with a small piece of paper before you put the electrical tape on. It's easier to manage than a wedge.

Cody, Considering your outcome would you choose Marinetex verses Devcon again? By your dialogue I presume this FIL job is not pillar bedded? Which Devcon part Nbr have you used in the past? My compliments for your fine craftsmanship! Jasbo
It is pillar bedded. I think it's 6 one, half dozen the other. They both work well and give a good outcome if you do it right. I have previously used devcon 10110 iirc, the steel putty. They come out like this usually -

Crazy story about the horse and your FIL. Sounds like they were both lucky to make it. Scary and trying situation, I'm sure. Glad he's doing well and will be back in the saddle this season.

Rifle looks good. On your wedge, wrap the barrel with electrical tape until the action doesn't teeter. If you're worried about finish (I messed up a little spot on a carbon barrel) wrap it with a small piece of paper before you put the electrical tape on. It's easier to manage than a wedge.
I generally do that, but my initial fit test didn't have an issue. Since it was already in the bedding, unfortunately a wedge was the only option.

Hi ,really interesting following your story and the responses. Is that a Fajen stock with a Mohawk action? Regards John W.
No, that is a 1913 Enfield action, Douglas barrel chambered in 35 Whelen improved. Stock is a Richard's microfit, I forget which specific model, in black walnut. Did that one for my dad.

It is pillar bedded. I think it's 6 one, half dozen the other. They both work well and give a good outcome if you do it right. I have previously used devcon 10110 iirc, the steel putty. They come out like this usually -

I generally do that, but my initial fit test didn't have an issue. Since it was already in the bedding, unfortunately a wedge was the only option.

Fine bedding job.

Well.....it finally came around full circle.

This weekend, we went back to where Dave had his crash, to try to finish what we started. We all hiked in over 6 miles, and I showed my family where Dave crashed. We spent three days looking for mulies. Gorgeous country, saw a few bucks, but nothing worth packing out that far, mostly smaller bucks. Hiked out, and on the drive out, we glassed up a nice 4x4 on an open hillside, and I got Dave set up. He made a 528 yard shot on this beautiful buck, while resting the front of his rifle on an ant infested tree stump (he has the swollen bite marks to show for it!), and the rear on a tripod head, on a extremely steep hillside. Here are some of the trip ms highlight photos -

This is the cliff Dave took his horse off -
Screenshot_20230918-105221_Gallery.jpg

The family on the hike in -
20230917_114639.jpg

Dave's deer!
20230917_181246.jpg
20230917_184854.jpg

An absolutely unbelievable closure to an emotional and challenging hunt that began last October, all from a single rifle build. I am so thankful for this, it means so much more than just a beautiful animal, and the best meat God creates for the family. Thank you everyone for following along this crazy story. It has been incredible for us, I know that.

Last edited:
Great buck and unreal story. I've kind of lost track. Are you shooting/testing the Apex Afterburners in this rifle?

Looking forward to wound channel pictures, if you have them and your thoughts on how the Afterburners perform.
Thank you, I appreciate it. That will be coming, but on a different site that I have mostly migrated to. I had to finish this story out though, for closure if nothing else.

After season, I will document my findings in my bullet guide section here.

I hate leaving stories untold though, especially if I started them. I'll still finish threads I started here, but new content for me will be over there. Again, thank you.