Father-in-law's rifle build thread

Finally got around to getting more progress on this, did a pillar bedding job (didn't come out quite as good as I wanted, but will still function well), got it sanded to 320 and gave it the first coat. Now for a little more sanding, and keep layering them on!

20230823_145131.jpg
20230823_145148.jpg
20230823_145207.jpg
20230823_145216.jpg

Finally got around to getting more progress on this, did a pillar bedding job (didn't come out quite as good as I wanted, but will still function well), got it sanded to 320 and gave it the first coat. Now for a little more sanding, and keep layering them on!

View attachment 488318View attachment 488319View attachment 488320View attachment 488321
That is a classy stick! My buddy has one on his 7mm and he loves getting behind this same stock.
Keep oiling it until it won't take it anymore, and then every year.
It's an heirloom for sure!

Marinetex this time around
Your thoughts on one versus the other ? I went to Marinetex for the smaller size container for $18 opposed to the Devcon in the way more than I need size for ~$80. Marinetex seems a bit runnier and needed more clean up but maybe it's our warm weather here.

Your thoughts on one versus the other ? I went to Marinetex for the smaller size container for $18 opposed to the Devcon in the way more than I need size for ~$80. Marinetex seems a bit runnier and needed more clean up but maybe it's our warm weather here.
I did the bedding in my basement where it stays ~65°, it did seem a little more runny, but very little, still way thicker than say jb weld.

I generally put a support in the form of a door shim trimmed to the appropriate thickness under the barrel at the front of the stock to ensure the action doesn't tip while bedding, but when I test fit the action it seemed stable, then of course while bedding it started to tip, so I had to quickly make a shim. So due to going down into bedding, then the rear tipping up, then back down with the shim in place, it got some spots where the bedding has a couple bubbles or pulled away from the action. My fault, not the compound. Uhg, frustrating. But it still supports the action very well, so it will still work good. Just bugs my ocd!