My perfect Wyoming Mountain rifle build thread

No paint on the chassis yet, but all the bits and pieces are finally together!

View attachment 380282View attachment 380283View attachment 380284

Weight with supressor, Magpul bipod, heavier MDT magazine, and supressor, then weight without the bipod and with the lighter accurate mag and still the supressor, then Weight with single shot tray, no bipod and a 3 port muzzle brake. If I swap out the mag for the ss tray, it drops .3 lbs

View attachment 380285View attachment 380290View attachment 380291
How are you liking the Element chassis?
Does it handle well with the 30 nos recoil?
The folding stock has me intrigued for a longer suppressed hunting rifle

Love it. I will admit it's harder to get solid and steady on than a proper vertical grip stock like an EH-1 or similar, but after getting some time on it, I have found if I get a relatively heavy load on the bipod, it holds steady enough for sub half MOA shooting. I wouldn't put an inexperienced shooter on it and expect them to be able to shoot it to it's potential right away, it takes some practice to get steady behind it, but once I got comfortable with it, I can shoot it more than good enough for long range hunting

Nothing like a swag to find your best groups lol I love it when that happens.

I'm still intrigued by the 205's, hopefully you'll get some time to work with them some more.

t

Ya, I still plan on trying a couple things, I think another issue may be my neck tension, right now my current largest 30 cal bushing is .336", and is giving me .0035" neck tension, I need to order another one, probably a .338", to test dropping that down, then maybe try some different seating depths.

Finally went and stretched out the 208 LRHT's, did a final 100 yard zero, then went strait to 960 yards.....I'm pretty happy with this rifle, it's gonna be a killer!!!!

Wind was blowing pretty good, I was right at the front of a thunder head....I had just shot my wife's rifle prior, and was holding for 19 mph with it, so did the same with this rifle......6 moa hold, 19 mph wind.

Fired my first round, went barely over my angled hanging target, I was holding just a little bit high when it broke, so dropped half MOA, and fired three rounds from the magazine, fast as I could get back on target solid and send it

20220821_191434.jpg

Group was about 2.5" of vertical, and about 9" horizontal. Considering wind was gusting and blowing as hard as it was, I'm stoked I was able to keep all 3 even on the plate, let alone make a MOA sized group at that range, from a rifle so light.

Additionally, e.s. of these rounds were 8 fps, at an average 2931. Tweaked the bc just a little bit to match up the impacts with what I dialed and the velocities, but only from .364 up to .370 G7. Not sure if the 8 twist helped a little bit or what, but that makes it match up about perfect.

Finally went and stretched out the 208 LRHT's, did a final 100 yard zero, then went strait to 960 yards.....I'm pretty happy with this rifle, it's gonna be a killer!!!!

Wind was blowing pretty good, I was right at the front of a thunder head....I had just shot my wife's rifle prior, and was holding for 19 mph with it, so did the same with this rifle......6 moa hold, 19 mph wind.

Fired my first round, went barely over my angled hanging target, I was holding just a little bit high when it broke, so dropped half MOA, and fired three rounds from the magazine, fast as I could get back on target solid and send it

View attachment 389048

Group was about 2.5" of vertical, and about 9" horizontal. Considering wind was gusting and blowing as hard as it was, I'm stoked I was able to keep all 3 even on the plate, let alone make a MOA sized group at that range, from a rifle so light.

Additionally, e.s. of these rounds were 8 fps, at an average 2931. Tweaked the bc just a little bit to match up the impacts with what I dialed and the velocities, but only from .364 up to .370 G7. Not sure if the 8 twist helped a little bit or what, but that makes it match up about perfect.
Stellar results. Yes the 8tw is prob giving a BC boost. I've talked to some the AB guys running the lab at prs events. Faster than necessary twist rates, say 7 vs 8 in the 6mm show consistently higher bc out to transonic distance. With the extra rpm, that bullet will expand and give a lot of trauma through the vitals. I am putting together that 20" 9tw 30 nosler. I will have to try and track down some those 208s. Will need some extra freebore over saami but I do have a throater for that.

That is good intel Highdrum.
Best way to test theories is to do work in the field!
The biggest affect on bc surprisingly, is barrel wear. A guy running a new barrel will get xxx bc, and even the same lot of bullet in same barrel at same speed, in second half of its life, will start reducing the bc due to jacket damage. How much is determined by amount of fire cracking and roughness.

Yup.....it's a killer!!

Got two speed goats today, one at 92 yards, and the other at 545. The 208 LRHT's killed great, at close range they were pretty violent.....at 545, they were absolutely perfect. And yup, speed goat Killin is a family event! That little girl just finished helping me vacuum seal the meat, she was handing me the meat from the bowl lol anyway....

92 yards -
20220902_165141.jpg
20220902_165214.jpg

545 yards -
20220902_181904.jpg

Right before the second kill.....ha ha
20220902_151246.jpg

So the 92 yard one, though it was a perfect heart shot, it caused so much internal trauma and shock that it ruptured the gut and blew stomach contents out the exit lol I lost nearly half that shoulder. However, the 545 yard goat was bedded down, broadside. I hit about 2" back from where I wanted, didn't quite hold enough wind, but got the back of the lungs and liver, but still didn't rupture the stomach and lost only about 1" of rib meat around the exit, which was 1.5" diameter.

First time using the rifle for what it was truly built for....running around the high peaks of Wyoming lookin for mulies!! 7 miles, and 2,700 ft elevation each of up and down in there, ranging from 9,000 feet up to a little over 10,000 feet. Glassed up and passed 11 bucks I was in range of, none of them were what I was looking for. Saw a bunch of elk too, not in rifle season yet or I would have had a decent bull down. It was a great time, and the rifle goes in the pack nicely, I hardly even noticed I had it on!

20220917_140219.jpg
Screenshot_20220918-105929_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220918-110003_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220918-110020_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220918-110041_Gallery.jpg