Most Accurate Out Of The Box

Looking at the discussions on LRH it seems like as everything that comes from Europe is made by Tikka /Sako, which are belonging to Beretta enterprises. Something that simply is not true.
Even if Tikka is a budget rifle the OP might find perfectly tailored rifles by choosing Sauer 101, Mauser 12 or Mannlicher CL II SX. Top notch quality in all contexts right out of the box for a reasonable price tag. No adjustments (extra costs) required, neither trigger set, safety nor bedding etc.

If you are preferring American products why not a durable first class Extreme X 2 rifle made by Montana Rifle Company? That would be my choice in the USA beyond any doubt!

Nice rifle for sure!

I like the look, the machining, the weight and the price as well as the uniqueness of being An American rifle that not everyone will own. I will be calling them on Monday and make some inquiries.

Thanks for that tip Varberger757

Nice rifle for sure!

I like the look, the machining, the weight and the price as well as the uniqueness of being An American rifle that not everyone will own. I will be calling them on Monday and make some inquiries.

Thanks for that tip Varberger757

You are very welcome! I really can't wait for Montana Rifle Company selling its products on the Old Continent. Top US craftmanship in various calibers, many variations and in both RH ans LH. For me it's a no brainer.

If you are preferring American products why not a durable first class Extreme X 2 rifle made by Montana Rifle Company? That would be my choice in the USA beyond any doubt!

Nice rifle for sure!

If you end up this route, I thank you in advance. :cool::Dgun)

5515e8b3b9f44.preview-699_zpspu7vfnqx.png

Cheers!

Anybody shot the kimber mount ascent, held it at the store and couldn't believe how light it was, got to wonder how it shoots

If your going to do long range hunting you need a place to practice your long range shooting. A flat range won't do very well. I expect I quarter section would be the vary minimum set up very much like a golf course but with shooting positions that let you take shot at targets from 100 to 1,200 yards at many of the targets as you can. Finding land with natural back stops and open shooting paths is going to be hard. On the bright side it should bring in a reasonable amount revenue if you made it a sooting range. A square mile with 2 or 3 large washes running through it would be a more reasonable size. It would be best if it were in the western states so there were prairie dogs, coyotes and jack rabbits to shoot. Feral hogs would come in a poor forth because they stick to cover and come out at night.

I looked a .338 Laupa with a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps still has over 1,500 foot pound of energy at 1,000 yards. You can push the bullet faster but you'll burn up a barrel or two before you gain the skill to dope the wind at 1,000 yards. A simple 10 mph cross wind will blow the bullet 4 feet to one side. For every foot you miss judge the range you'll be 5/32 of an inch high or low.

A .768 BC in a .338 is the best I can find. There is 240 grain .308 bullet with a BC of .711 (It must be shot in magic air:={) I can't find any loads but I'll bet its slow.

The closest thing I can find in a light rifle to actually doing the job is is a one of the 6.5 mm rifles. You can buy off the shelf ammo good enough for for at least 800 yards. Hornady that has 1,000 foot-pounds at 800 yard for a 6.5 Creedmoor with an A-Max bullet has a over 1,000 foot pounds at 800 yards. Hand loads might get you 1,000 foot pounds at 1,000 yards. I have no idea how much practice it take to make you good enough to dope the wind and conditions and make a sure humane kill at 1,000 yards. If you can put the bullet where it needs to be the rigth 6.5 mm bullet will do the job. For example is Walter Bell by his count he killed 1,011 elephants W.D.M. Bell and His Elephants with a wide range of rifles mostly a 7x57 Mauser because of the reliable ammo that was available. He also killed a number of elephants with the 6.5 mm swede all with brain shots.

The 6.5 Creedmoor has better ballistics than the 6.5x55 Swede having the same rifling twist rate and it can be loaded to higher pressures and velocities. Bell didn't shoot at long ranges. With 6.5 Creedmoor using 142 mg bullet with BC G1 of .6 and muzzle Velocity of 2750. A 10 mph cross wind blows the bullet 5 foot off line and the bullet will be off vertically 0.27 inch for every foot in error in judging the range. A .338 Lapua has better ballistics but it sure is lot heavier and kicks more than any 6.5mm

There are some 145 and 150 grain 6.5 mm bullets out there I can't find any numbers for them. Unless their round nosed bullets they may not stabilize in a 1:8 twist barrel.

Just a note: Elmer Keith used a 44 or 45 pistol out to 600 yards to down Elk or Deer some one else had shot before they got away in bush. Keith never told how many he missed. But trying to down a wounded anaimal with what ever you have at any range is not the same making the shot that wounds them.

Red

If your going to do long range hunting you need a place to practice your long range shooting. A flat range won't do very well. I expect I quarter section would be the vary minimum set up very much like a golf course but with shooting positions that let you take shot at targets from 100 to 1,200 yards at many of the targets as you can. Finding land with natural back stops and open shooting paths is going to be hard. On the bright side it should bring in a reasonable amount revenue if you made it a sooting range. A square mile with 2 or 3 large washes running through it would be a more reasonable size. It would be best if it were in the western states so there were prairie dogs, coyotes and jack rabbits to shoot. Feral hogs would come in a poor forth because they stick to cover and come out at night.

I looked a .338 Laupa with a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps still has over 1,500 foot pound of energy at 1,000 yards. You can push the bullet faster but you'll burn up a barrel or two before you gain the skill to dope the wind at 1,000 yards. A simple 10 mph cross wind will blow the bullet 4 feet to one side. For every foot you miss judge the range you'll be 5/32 of an inch high or low.

A .768 BC in a .338 is the best I can find. There is 240 grain .308 bullet with a BC of .711 (It must be shot in magic air:={) I can't find any loads but I'll bet its slow.

The closest thing I can find in a light rifle to actually doing the job is is a one of the 6.5 mm rifles. You can buy off the shelf ammo good enough for for at least 800 yards. Hornady that has 1,000 foot-pounds at 800 yard for a 6.5 Creedmoor with an A-Max bullet has a over 1,000 foot pounds at 800 yards. Hand loads might get you 1,000 foot pounds at 1,000 yards. I have no idea how much practice it take to make you good enough to dope the wind and conditions and make a sure humane kill at 1,000 yards. If you can put the bullet where it needs to be the rigth 6.5 mm bullet will do the job. For example is Walter Bell by his count he killed 1,011 elephants W.D.M. Bell and His Elephants with a wide range of rifles mostly a 7x57 Mauser because of the reliable ammo that was available. He also killed a number of elephants with the 6.5 mm swede all with brain shots.

The 6.5 Creedmoor has better ballistics than the 6.5x55 Swede having the same rifling twist rate and it can be loaded to higher pressures and velocities. Bell didn't shoot at long ranges. With 6.5 Creedmoor using 142 mg bullet with BC G1 of .6 and muzzle Velocity of 2750. A 10 mph cross wind blows the bullet 5 foot off line and the bullet will be off vertically 0.27 inch for every foot in error in judging the range. A .338 Lapua has better ballistics but it sure is lot heavier and kicks more than any 6.5mm

There are some 145 and 150 grain 6.5 mm bullets out there I can't find any numbers for them. Unless their round nosed bullets they may not stabilize in a 1:8 twist barrel.

Just a note: Elmer Keith used a 44 or 45 pistol out to 600 yards to down Elk or Deer some one else had shot before they got away in bush. Keith never told how many he missed. But trying to down a wounded anaimal with what ever you have at any range is not the same making the shot that wounds them.

Red
Welcome to the forum Red.

I noticed you were talking about high BC bullets but had a very large gap between the .30 cal and 6.5mm, and didn't mention the 7mm... Berger recently released a 195 Hybrid that has a .754 G1 BC and a .387 G7 BC.

7mm 195gr Extreme Outer Limits Elite Hunter | Berger Bullets

Killerbee,

If your are truly serious about a carry weight, do it all, 1000 yard rifle, then you need to get something like this. New or used, your choice, it's what you need. Now that you have ventured a little bit "out of the box", consider a full custom. This is a very good example of a carry weight rifle that could do what you want.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/gap-non-typical-7mm-wsm-161770/#post1134300

After viewing your pictures I went to the G.A. Precision site and looked around, really impressed! If I were a sniper in the Marines eliminating ISIS members I would want one of their tactical rifles, with a super extended magazine and the best long range scope money could buy! lol gun)

Since this is the last rifle I will probably ever buy, all options are open. This morning I will be calling both Montana Rifle Company and G.A. Precision. You guys sure make it easy for me to have more work projects and spend my time studying and shopping instead of working, in fact since I joined this site my productivity at work has dropped by 200%! hehe.

Thanks Boyz! :D

After viewing your pictures I went to the G.A. Precision site and looked around, really impressed! If I were a sniper in the Marines eliminating ISIS members I would want one of their tactical rifles, with a super extended magazine and the best long range scope money could buy! lol gun)

Since this is the last rifle I will probably ever buy, all options are open. This morning I will be calling both Montana Rifle Company and G.A. Precision. You guys sure make it easy for me to have more work projects and spend my time studying and shopping instead of working, in fact since I joined this site my productivity at work has dropped by 200%! hehe.

Thanks Boyz! :D
I've got the MRC 1999 action on a custom heavy 7mm STW and love it.

If it is fluted, it is probably at least a #3 contour (Weatherby offers only 4 contours and number them 1 through 4) the #1 is very light and normally a muzzle break cant be installed. The #2 is about the same size as a standard sporter weight barrel. The #3 is used on all of there Accumarks and big cartridges up 378 WM the #4s are normally only found on the 460 and some of the older 378s They are about the same as a Sendero Contour.

In my opinion, A #1 contoured barrel has no place in a hunting type weapon. They have only 1 advantage (WEIGHT). They can be very finicky to bullet weight, loads in general, And in magnum calibers they are unpredictable as to weather they will shoot well at all.

At best they will normally be short range weapons. Note: But they look good.

Just because the barrel is very light doesn't mean it wont shoot, just that the odds are not very good that it will. With the right load they can be accurate enough for a first shot hit (Cold Bore)
but after that, who knows where the bullet will go.

This is just My opinion for what it's worth,

J E CUSTOM
Good advice, but I must say. I have a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Light weight 25-06. Contour 1. Fluted. A very skinny barrel. Super light weight. It will shoot 1/2 munite of angle. Even hot. I make groups of 3-5 rounds. Alway under an inch unless I mess up. Multiple groups in a row. Hot barrel!
Also, I will say. I would never, ever want a .300 WM in that light of a rifle. It will kick the living crap out of you!!!!!

Well Boyzs I have finally made my decision on the calibre rifle I am buying. I am going to buy myself a .338 Remington Ultra Mag. Now all I have to do is decide on the manufacture. I am leaning towards the Montana Rifle Co. Rifle, very sexy, sort of like a beautiful woman on steroids. :D

Montana is my next door neighbour being in Alberta, Canada myself. Thank you all for your time and for sharing your wealth and in-depth knowledge with me. gun)

Special thanks to Wildrose, man you are one very nice gentleman!

Best regards,

Darren

Sounds like a good choice. As I've gotten older with rotator cuff and neck issues I can't pack a heavy rifle all that long and one with heavy recoil wasn't what I wanted either. I own 5 browning A bolts and just bought my daughter an X bolt. I've bought several used for $500-$600, spent $200-$300 to bed, float, trigger and brake them and the .270WSM with the factory synthetic stock with Leupold 6.5x20x50 will shoot 6" groups at 700 yards and I'm comfortable out to 800 yards using 140 gr Nosler AB's @3100fps.

I realize I'm an intermediate shooter to many on here, but if you are used to shooting 300-400 yards as your long shot now, you will think doubling that with kill zone shots as pretty impressive and with a bipod on that setup and a nylon Velcro cheek piece with zippered pouch and 10 rounds it weighs 10.5 lbs and the recoil is very manageable. I've got $1500 into that rig and although I'd love to have a browning mountain TI in that same caliber to save another lb or so, I feel what I have is a very affordable and accurate setup for what I shoot (200"Mulie, 400" Elk, several Coues). Good luck!

Well Boyzs I have finally made my decision on the calibre rifle I am buying. I am going to buy myself a .338 Remington Ultra Mag. Now all I have to do is decide on the manufacture. I am leaning towards the Montana Rifle Co. Rifle, very sexy, sort of like a beautiful woman on steroids. :D

Montana is my next door neighbour being in Alberta, Canada myself. Thank you all for your time and for sharing your wealth and in-depth knowledge with me. gun)

Special thanks to Wildrose, man you are one very nice gentleman!

Best regards,

Darren
You will not be happy with it in anything lighter than about a 9-10lbs rig due to recoil and muzzle flip so keep that in mind.