Most Accurate Out Of The Box

KillerBee- you do not say what you are hunting. jackrabbits , elk, deer, coyotes? the 30-06 has plenty of energy . the problem is accuracy/ precision. you would be way better off with a rem 700 long range in 30-06 than a light weight, or ultra light 300 wm., weight is an advantage. even better a sendero or rem 5-r.

Jackrabbits lol

You are right roninflag, I should have mentioned that I will be hunting Whitetails, Mule Deer, Elk and Moose and every wolf I see with this rifle! :)

I have a Tikka T3 in 7 mag that shoots very well out of the box .3 to .5 in groups at 100 yards and 1 moa at 1000. Extremely satisfied with it's performance so far.

PM sent. weight helps , also find a load that shoots good with factory gets expensive. rem 700 long range, sendero, 5-r. .. best a rem 700 w/krieger barrel . for long range .

SAKO will run with the custom builders all day long! They are, IMO, the best built and most accurate out of the box rifles made! I have and shoot 2 TRG's in 338Lapua & 300win mag, also a Grey Wolf in 3oowin mag, Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua, 3 Varmint Stainless in 223,243,& 22-250, Finnlite in 6.5x55, Stainless Hunter in 308 & a couple older ones. 1000yds is a chip shot for the Lapuas. All have Nightforce or Swarovski scopes as top notch glass is key to LR accuracy.:rolleyes:

Was just looking at the specs of the Mark V Ultra Lightweight 300 Win Mag It says

" The stainless steel #1 contour fluted barrel"

Is #1 bad?

If it is fluted, it is probably at least a #3 contour (Weatherby offers only 4 contours and number them 1 through 4) the #1 is very light and normally a muzzle break cant be installed. The #2 is about the same size as a standard sporter weight barrel. The #3 is used on all of there Accumarks and big cartridges up 378 WM the #4s are normally only found on the 460 and some of the older 378s They are about the same as a Sendero Contour.

In my opinion, A #1 contoured barrel has no place in a hunting type weapon. They have only 1 advantage (WEIGHT). They can be very finicky to bullet weight, loads in general, And in magnum calibers they are unpredictable as to weather they will shoot well at all.

At best they will normally be short range weapons. Note: But they look good.

Just because the barrel is very light doesn't mean it wont shoot, just that the odds are not very good that it will. With the right load they can be accurate enough for a first shot hit (Cold Bore)
but after that, who knows where the bullet will go.

This is just My opinion for what it's worth,

J E CUSTOM

If it is fluted, it is probably at least a #3 contour (Weatherby offers only 4 contours and number them 1 through 4) the #1 is very light and normally a muzzle break cant be installed. The #2 is about the same size as a standard sporter weight barrel. The #3 is used on all of there Accumarks and big cartridges up 378 WM the #4s are normally only found on the 460 and some of the older 378s They are about the same as a Sendero Contour.

In my opinion, A #1 contoured barrel has no place in a hunting type weapon. They have only 1 advantage (WEIGHT). They can be very finicky to bullet weight, loads in general, And in magnum calibers they are unpredictable as to weather they will shoot well at all.

At best they will normally be short range weapons. Note: But they look good.

Just because the barrel is very light doesn't mean it wont shoot, just that the odds are not very good that it will. With the right load they can be accurate enough for a first shot hit (Cold Bore)
but after that, who knows where the bullet will go.

This is just My opinion for what it's worth,

J E CUSTOM

Thank you for your considered insight J E Custom.

This will most likely be the last rifle I purchase, so I am happy to get all of this advise, do not want to make any mistakes.

I did not realize this, back to the drawing board for me I guess!

Cheers - KB

Another vote for the Remington 5R MILSPEC in 300 Win Mag. I have the 26" version. I upgraded to a Jewell trigger and bedded it into the factory HS stock to produce < 1/2 MOA groups with H1000 and Berger 215s.

Thank you for your considered insight J E Custom.

This will most likely be the last rifle I purchase, so I am happy to get all of this advise, do not want to make any mistakes.

I did not realize this, back to the drawing board for me I guess!

Cheers - KB
KB, pardon the pun but you'd do well to give a lot of "weight" to what JE had to say. It's like I told you when we were talking the other day, "All else being equal heavier is steadier, and steadier is more accurate". Put that together with the unpredictability of the light barrels in general and you'll understand why most of us won't carry anything lighter than a light magnum contour even in a "Mountain Rifle" or "Sheep Rifle".

With the extreme cold weather up where you are I'd also have some additional concerns with the temperamental nature of the lighter barrels as well.

I suppose it depends on price. GA precision can you give you an "outta the box gun" with sub moa accuracy for a premium price. I personally went with savage and got the same thing. Difference is a couple grand and I had to take all the stuff apart and retorque. Savage package guns are notorious for having loose scope mounts and after I kept having POI problems, I reset my mounts and torqued to spec and I was golden.

Still went ahead and built my custom gun off the action though. Cant wait till I get my 7mm barrel so I can get it chambered for a SS mag.

With all due respect, a rifle that had to be bedded and had the tigger group changed out is not an "out of the box" rifle.:rolleyes:

With all due respect, a rifle that had to be bedded and had the tigger group changed out is not an "out of the box" rifle.:rolleyes:

True. But what constitutes the fact that a rifle that is bedded shouldn't be standard factory procedure? I see the problem being that many don't want the increased cost, and as such, factories make the gun as cheap as possible while still getting adequate performance.

Although GAP doesn't take a rifle and bed it and change out the trigger or at least on some guns. They use templar actions, decent triggers, barrels, stocks, etc. Basically a manufacturer that outsources its components. Subject to opinion, however, and that is just how I view it

I also wouldn't overlook the Howa line. A bit surprised they haven't been mentioned here. You can get a #6 heavy barreled 24 inch 300 WinMag with aluminum pillar bedding for a very good price . They have been very accurate rifles for me. Even their lighter contour barrels. As a bonus you can buy action and barrel only at a discount and then put your own stock on it.

The action is the same as the Weatherby vanguard line. Just an FYI.

The negatives to them is that they have few long range calibers available. 300 WinMag is just about it and 24 inch is your max barrel length. There aren't as many aftermarket accessories either compared to Remington. But I've never had a problem finding what I needed.
As an aside, Ive found some screaming good deals on used howas which have been great shooters. And their action is very strong with very good tolerances which makes for a good cheap build later.

With a long time of flight, accuracy is mind driven. Precision is assisted by equipment. Most precise out of box?
Cheers,
SK

Remington 700 5R Milspec. They are offered in both .308 Win and .300WM. I have one of each.

Haven't shot the .300 yet, but the .308 shoots 1/4-1/2" groups on average, if I do my part...And it is 100% factory Remington. I did swap the trigger, but it was with an older factory Rem/Walker trigger (I hate the XMP triggers)...So it's still factory parts. :D

I agree with MudRunner. The 5R is great out of the box. However with higher end rifles like A.I. and Surgeon and Sako - I have NEVER seen one shoot anything other than great. They are just made better. Are they worth the extra money? IMO probably not but that all depends what you will be using it for. Rifles have gotten to be so expensive nowadays that I can hardly justify paying 7k for just a rifle no matter who makes it. By the time you get some good glass, rings and mounts on it your in it 10k.
If you want to shoot a 1000 yards buy the 5R in the 300 wm. I struggle to accurately hit targets at a grand with my 308 but my 300 wm can do it so much more easy and effectively. JMO.

Good luck.

Recent Posts