Most Accurate Out Of The Box

No to bash them but.. .

Just had a call from a local guy having trouble with a new M40 Rem in 7mm Rem.

I ran over and looked, chamber is rough as hell with obvious burs that never should have made it out of the factory.

Worse the chamber is badly out of spec showing clear head space problems.

He fired 11 shots with two types of factory ammo and had to use a hammer to get all 11 stuck cases out!

We put a micrometer to them and the cases were all swelling about 12/1000's in diameter from just ahead of the belt all the way to the shoulder and the shoulders are rounded.

Poor guy, just laid out 2k between the rifle, mounts, and scope and he's lucky he didn't blow it up!

Nice guy so I loaned him a M70 .300wm since deer season opens this weekend and he's got a couple of really nice bucks lined up.

What a let down.

Tikka's are pretty well known for out of the box accuracy at reasonable prices, and have a good trigger you don't need to replace. Just shot my .260 CTR for the first time this weekend, did pretty well for me @ very initial load development. Comes in .308 too. I did heavily consider a Remington 5R and almost bought one, but ultimately chose the Tikka and happy so far.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/tikka-ctr-260-first-day-range-161361/

I have heard that many times and have bee looking at the Tikka T3, but I hate their stock so I would have to replace their stock with a custom stock which would make the gun more expensive then others that I prefer the fit and feel.

I have heard that many times and have bee looking at the Tikka T3, but I hate their stock so I would have to replace their stock with a custom stock which would make the gun more expensive then others that I prefer the fit and feel.

Yes, I have heard others say that as well. I don't love the stock, but admit I am not that picky about it, and always thought if it really bothered me down the line I would just replace it. But I doubt I will for my use, it probably shoots better than I can and holds zero well from what I hear. Anyhow good luck in your search, look forward to hearing what you get!

No to bash them but.. .

Just had a call from a local guy having trouble with a new M40 Rem in 7mm Rem.

I ran over and looked, chamber is rough as hell with obvious burs that never should have made it out of the factory.

Worse the chamber is badly out of spec showing clear head space problems.

He fired 11 shots with two types of factory ammo and had to use a hammer to get all 11 stuck cases out!

We put a micrometer to them and the cases were all swelling about 12/1000's in diameter from just ahead of the belt all the way to the shoulder and the shoulders are rounded.

Poor guy, just laid out 2k between the rifle, mounts, and scope and he's lucky he didn't blow it up!

Nice guy so I loaned him a M70 .300wm since deer season opens this weekend and he's got a couple of really nice bucks lined up.

What a let down.

YIKES! I hope that they'll fix or replace it for him. BTW, that was very nice of you to save his hunting season ... WTG Sir!

Attachments

• a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    15 KB · Views: 59
I agree with Barrelnut.
This question always becomes awkward because of Savage rifles. A better question would be which out of the box rifle is the most accurate including Savages, or excluding Savages.

Savage rifles always seem to make this discussion quite humorous.

Remington would be one of the last I would pick for an out of the box rifle. If I were going to have a LOT of work done on it I MIGHT make it a consideration but then again a home-made Savage would probably still shoot better (!) and there are much better options for a custom (from a shooter's standpoint).

Savage has a long history of producing a good hunting rifle that has an attractive price point and acceptable accuracy to alot of people. Are most Savages, in the apropriate calibers, 1000yrd accurate out of the box without tweeking? My Sako's are!

Savage has a long history of producing a good hunting rifle that has an attractive price point and acceptable accuracy to alot of people. Are most Savages, in the apropriate calibers, 1000yrd accurate out of the box without tweeking? My Sako's are!

Heck yea. This one in 300 WSM sure is. And it's MADE IN AMERICA!!! Savage Arms
I've seen Sako's that weren't 300 yard accurate in 300 WSM with their 11 twist barrels!

YIKES! I hope that they'll fix or replace it for him. BTW, that was very nice of you to save his hunting season ... WTG Sir!
Naa, not like I didn't have plenty to spare.:D

Nice young guy with a family who works for the city here and it just kind of broke my heart to see him lay out so much money and get stuck with such a turd. He's trying to learn gunsmithing and I've been helping him along here and there with basics for a couple of years so I trust him. Heck I even gave him a box of Hornady 165's which is what I'd been shooting in it and told him just to pay me for what he uses.

As well as it shoots I figure he'll burn three checking zero and one on the buck.

x's 2,

I have discovered this about WildRose.

He certainly knows a lot about rifles and 2. He is kind enough to share his wealth of knowledge if asked.

A true Gentleman in every sense of the word! :)

KB

Weatherby Lt Weight Mark 5 would not be my first choice. Its a great packer but the barrel is lite. My first choice would be the relatively new Sako A7 ProHunter. Why - I have been involved with four of them and each is an outstanding shooter.

The first was Purchased at Cabela's, Its a 7mm RM, long distance -heavy barrel exclusive to the big C. The second is a 7mm RM sporter weight purchased at Sportmens Whse. Both shoot extremely well.

The A7 is a three lug setup short throw. the Prohunter version adds the new very awesome aluminum bedding for the receiver and aluminum all the way through the stock. Sako brought these models out late last year and early this year. The Cabela's exclusive caught my eye first. It has a Medalist Bell and Carlsen stock. Sako then introduced their ProHunter using their own even better stock. Sako also has their own Long Range model out using the improved stock.

Set them up by taking off the Weaver/Pic rail and install Talley one piece aluminum rings, medium height. I used Vortex HS-T 30mm Scopes. These two rifles are the best out of the box shooters I have ever bought.

The other two Sako's were purchased by my friends with my recommendation Both have 300 Win Mags. Same scopes. Both shoot Hornaday 180gr SST, superformance with outstanding accuracy. They do not reload.

The safe has Brownings, Weatherby's, Remington 5R 300 Win Mag, Thompson Center Venturer's and TC ProHunter's. Out of the Box I'd Pick the Sako A7 ProHunter. However, It does have to fit YOU. Fit matters.

Good Luck

If you go with the Weatherby Mark V. I would recommend the Accumark it has a #3 contour. I have one in standard caliber .308 Win it's a real shooter in the field and at the range.

If you go with the Weatherby Mark V. I would recommend the Accumark it has a #3 contour. I have one in standard caliber .308 Win it's a real shooter in the field and at the range.

I will check it out for sure, thank you Sir. What I want is the lightest rifle that will penetrate and kill elk and moose at 1000 yards, if necessary. I can shoot, just need a rifle that won't weigh me down and keep up with the program lol! gun):D

I will check it out for sure, thank you Sir. What I want is the lightest rifle that will penetrate and kill elk and moose at 1000 yards, if necessary. I can shoot, just need a rifle that won't weigh me down and keep up with the program lol! gun):D

I would go the custom route before spending that much money on ANY factory rifle. I had an Accumark with a bad barrel right out of the box. I will never spend that kind of money on a factory rifle ever again. I lost a lot of money on that rifle between what I paid for it new, handload components, dies, numerous boxes of factory ammo @ $70-80 each, etc... I guess I could always build another .257 Wby down the road so I can start using all of that stuff that's just collecting dust. But for now I'm 100% impressed with my .25-06 AI. It's within 100 fps of a .257 Wby, and uses 10-15 grains LESS powder to achieve those velocities with the same bullets.

You just need to sit down and do some calculations. Most of the guys would tell you that where you hit 1,500ft/lbs of energy you are at your maximum range for critters that big.

Without looking I'd guess 300wm with 200gr bullets is about as light as you want to go.

Looking at the discussions on LRH it seems like as everything that comes from Europe is made by Tikka /Sako, which are belonging to Beretta enterprises. Something that simply is not true.
Even if Tikka is a budget rifle the OP might find perfectly tailored rifles by choosing Sauer 101, Mauser 12 or Mannlicher CL II SX. Top notch quality in all contexts right out of the box for a reasonable price tag. No adjustments (extra costs) required, neither trigger set, safety nor bedding etc.

If you are preferring American products why not a durable first class Extreme X 2 rifle made by Montana Rifle Company? That would be my choice in the USA beyond any doubt!

Last edited: