More Berger 300 Hybrid Gen 2 testing

Shawn... or Eric Stecker if you're tuned in, Bergers has just introduced the 300 grn Hybrid "OTM" tactical on their website yesterday it would appear. I'm assuming this is the same gen II bullet that you tested. It this correct? I'm guessing that OTM stands for open tip match but their intro doesn't share that either... maybe Optimized tactical match?

Thanks in advanced for your help,
Scott

I believe the OTM bullet was developed after the Gen 2 bullet as a tactical bullet.

I did some reading on that and the best I could do was to relate OTM with Optimized.

Optimized Tactical for 300 Win Mag and 338 Lapua Mag... that would make sense.

I thought it was the same Gen 2 on the 300 gr. though? :)

I just talked to Berger... don't recall her name but she answered the phone on the first ring... but according to her the OTM bullet is the generation two bullet. I also asked about whether or not they would retain the generation 1 bullet in the line up. She suggested that terminal performance testing on the OTM bullet would determine that. If the OTM doesn't perform well on game they may keep the gen 1 bullet with a stated velocity limitation. She was also not completely sure what OTM stood for but how about "Obtainer of Tenderized Meat" or lets hope so.

Scott

I just got 250 of them in to day. When i orderd them I had assumed thay were the gen ii's but thay say Tactical OMT on the box, O well I will be sending them at game if I get a chance.

Hopeing Shawn will give a report on them soon.

Thanks for taking the time to post your results.

I too will really like to see how these bullets expand on game. I just bought 200 of them for the .338, and then I discovered that the jackets are thicker on the hybrid tactical bullets, and technically they're not for hunting use. Ganted, the berger target bullets weren't originally for hunting use either, but we know how well those worked out.

I have read that the tactical hybrids have a jacket that is thicker than the hunting loads, but still not quite as thick as the SMK.

Again... Will really love to hear from anyone on real-world-hunting application.

Thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to post your results.

I too will really like to see how these bullets expand on game. I just bought 200 of them for the .338, and then I discovered that the jackets are thicker on the hybrid tactical bullets, and technically they're not for hunting use. Ganted, the berger target bullets weren't originally for hunting use either, but we know how well those worked out.

I have read that the tactical hybrids have a jacket that is thicker than the hunting loads, but still not quite as thick as the SMK.

Again... Will really love to hear from anyone on real-world-hunting application.

Thanks.

Bryan Litz or some one from Berger I feel needs to jump in here and clear up the misunderstanding about the 300gr tactical and Gen 2 being different bullets after ringing berger I was told they were the same bullet???

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.