More 300gn Hybrid terminal results

NZ Longranger

We've been out hunting deer with the 300gn Hybrids this weekend and have some more terminal results. This time we shot a large Sika hind, about the size of an average Whitetail buck, at 1003 yards with the 338 Lunatic. There was a tricky 15 mph wind from about 7.30 O'clock that I managed to get right. Dennis did his job on the trigger pull and the 300 gn hit the broadside hind middle of the shoulder. It smashed the onside shoulder, taking out the big arteries between the heart and lungs as well as double lunging her, then blew a 2" exit wound in the offside shoulder – DRT!
I'm really impressed with the terminal performance of these bullets so far. The two Himalayan Tahr both hit quartering front on last week and the hind this week, have all showed good expansion which is very pleasing. We were concerned Berger may have ruined these Gen II's by beefing them up too much. So far my G7 BC is putting them spot on for elevation all the way to 1710 yards. It's a little higher than Bryan says it should be, but I can't find any inputs I've got wrong. Its working perfectly so I'm loathe to change it. I must check my 100 yard zero again, just in case that's a little high as that's the only thing I haven't rechecked.
More testing to come…
Greg

Talking Dennis through the shot.

TalkingDennisthroughtheshot.jpg

Dennis and his 1003 yard hind
1003yardSikahind.jpg

The 2 inch exit wound

1003yardexitwound.jpg

Destroyed arteries between the heart left and lungs bottom and right

Destroyedarteriesbetweenheartleftandlungsbottomandright.jpg

Fantastic!!!! Awesome job on the wind call and shooting as well. Looks like the bullet did a great job too. Who says a Berger will not penetrate a shoulder? The sika looks to be a fairly large animal too.

Congrats and Thank You for the rporting.

Jeff gun)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Good shooting! thats a nice animal!
good looking dogs too.
I need to make the switch to 300 bergers.

Awesome job guys! You guys are doing some incredible shooting down under. The Lunatic takes you guys over the edge though. 3,250fps? Wow, it does not get any better than this. Thanks for sharing.

What are you using for your g7, and what speed are you pushing them?

Booney, as SHRTSHTR says, 3250 fps. And the G7 I'm using is .450 which sounds too high. I just need to check I'm not 1/2 an inch high at 100 yards, as at 1000 yards that would equate to why I'm using .45 instead of .42 or thereabouts. But it still doesn't account for the fact we're bang on elevation wise all the way to 1700 yards? We should be 1.5 MOA lower with a .42 G7, so my zero would have to currently be 1.5 inches high at 100, which would then mean we wouldn't match at 1000 yards. So I'm sticking with .45 G7 until I start missing!:D:D:D
Greg

Nice job NZ!! Great exit wound at that distance. Hey guys I still have some of the 50 and 250 count boxes of these new Bergers if you want to give them a try.

Nice job NZ!! Great exit wound at that distance. Hey guys I still have some of the 50 and 250 count boxes of these new Bergers if you want to give them a try.

TL,
I'm sure you'd have some sales if you will ship them to New Zealand, as none of the Berger distributors down here are going to have any for another month at least! Possible???
Greg

TL,
I'm sure you'd have some sales if you will ship them to New Zealand, as none of the Berger distributors down here are going to have any for another month at least! Possible???
Greg

Hey NZ, no problem. I ship plenty down to Australia and have shipped a few items to New Zealand. A 250 count box of the Bergers will cost about $45.00 USD for shipping. Go ahead and place all the orders you want for the bullets! I have a some on hand right now and have several more showing up on Monday.

Hey NZ, no problem. I ship plenty down to Australia and have shipped a few items to New Zealand. A 250 count box of the Bergers will cost about $45.00 USD for shipping. Go ahead and place all the orders you want for the bullets! I have a some on hand right now and have several more showing up on Monday.

Nice :) :cool:

hmm me thinks we get lied to a fair bit down here when it comes to availability of bullets heard the story about manufactoers not making bullets a few to many times only to be able to get them out of the states. ow well nz retailers loss.

Nice shooting! I take it, it was taken on the south island. I've hunted NZ before and there is some outstanding hunting there. I'm finishing a 6.5X284 build now and just picked up a Remington 300 RUM. Want to convert it into a 338 EDGE.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.