Modification suggestions?

rocknwell

Hello, I'm just looking for some suggestions on modifications I can make to my hunting rifle to make it as reliable of a shooter as possible. I live in Rapid City, SD, so we have lots of hills and open country. That means I need a dependable shooter because conditions vary from one side of a hill to the next. I picked up a barely used Rem 700 SPS in 30-06. it's got a cheapo scope on it and it's all stock-no upgrades or anything. black stainless barrel. black lightweight synthetic stock. what would you all suggest? I know i need good glass. Any other suggestions? This rifle I would consider something to teach myself to get used to shooting at longer ranges. up to maybe 500 yards comfortably. So i plan on using this for a while. Thank you!

So, are we to understand you don't want to replace the barrel or have the action worked on at this point?

First I'd get the trigger reduced to about 2 pounds. Next, invest in a stock. I just saw 4 HS-Precisions for sale here on the forums tonight, and get it bedded properly by someone who knows what they are doing.

Until you are ready to move fwd and make more modifications, the above is a good start. Buy the best scope you can afford. I have several matte Leupold 4.5x14.40 AO VX-IIIs I'm willing to sell. They are used and I'm thinking around $350.

A good scope is a must. I would suggest a Nightforce 2.5-10 for a sporter weight hunting rifle. Another good option would be an SWFA. These two scopes have a solid reputation for accurate, repeatable turrets, and pretty good glass.
Do you reload? Another must for best accuracy. Does the gun shoot? If you can get MOA accuracy out of it you have a good big game rifle for 500 yards. I would have a trigger job done even if it is a shooter. Has it been glass bedded?
Another good option might be to send it to Hill Country Rifles and let them do an accuracy job. It will be pillar and glass bedded, trigger done, and they hold a pretty high standard for accuracy. It's also a pretty good value for what you get.

Well I'm open to all options. This isn't a "money is no option" situation, so I would definitely need to go in order of importance. I did see those stocks on here a little bit ago, but the ad said they were for heavy contour barrels, which mine is not of course. so it would require putting a new barrel on it. Is this necessary with a fairly new barrel? If getting the action worked on is high up on the list, i'm willing to do that first. I want to get the best I can out of the rifle. I want to have the confidence that it will outshoot me and the ability to firmly know that any shooting error would be of my fault on not with my rifle.

Agree with the above by COBrad.

When you really want the rifle to be accurate, you can certainly keep it in a 30.06 but I recommend several other calibers that will work with that action. The following are better known for long range shooting:

280 Remington
280 Ackley Improved
6.5-284 Norma
270 Winchester
6.5-06

When the time comes, buy a great match grade barrel from a maker of your choice. Get the action blueprinted/accurized/trued....whatever term cranks your tractor. Have the barreled action bedded properly in a quality stock.

Well I'm open to all options. This isn't a "money is no option" situation, so I would definitely need to go in order of importance. I did see those stocks on here a little bit ago, but the ad said they were for heavy contour barrels, which mine is not of course. so it would require putting a new barrel on it. Is this necessary with a fairly new barrel? If getting the action worked on is high up on the list, i'm willing to do that first. I want to get the best I can out of the rifle. I want to have the confidence that it will outshoot me and the ability to firmly know that any shooting error would be of my fault on not with my rifle.

Then do this:

"When the time comes, buy a great match grade barrel from a maker of your choice. Get the action blueprinted/accurized/trued....whatever term cranks your tractor. Have the barreled action bedded properly in a quality stock." ----as I just posted.

My opinion: waste of time and money to true an action and stick a mediocre factory barrel back on it, and waste of time and money to put a new match barrel on a non-trued action. Do yourself a favor, box up that rifle, mail it to Dave Bruno in Dayton, PA, tell him what you want done, and in a few months he'll build you a tack driver. He's built 5 for me and 2 for a buddy, and I don't know how many referrals I've sent him that are thrilled. Lots of good smiths here on the forums as well. Thank me later.

Even though you have a fairly new FACTORY barrel, you can sure shoot it but it may be crap, it may serve you well. I think guys (and gals) get a lot less frustrated when you start this whole long range shooting thing with quality equipment.

I think a great one named Chad Dixon lives in your state. Yep, check out his site:

LongRifles, Inc.

It appears you can get to Chad's place in a half hour. Go see him. Discuss options. You'll be glad you did.

A good scope is a must. I would suggest a Nightforce 2.5-10 for a sporter weight hunting rifle. Another good option would be an SWFA. These two scopes have a solid reputation for accurate, repeatable turrets, and pretty good glass.
Do you reload? Another must for best accuracy. Does the gun shoot? If you can get MOA accuracy out of it you have a good big game rifle for 500 yards. I would have a trigger job done even if it is a shooter. Has it been glass bedded?
Another good option might be to send it to Hill Country Rifles and let them do an accuracy job. It will be pillar and glass bedded, trigger done, and they hold a pretty high standard for accuracy. It's also a pretty good value for what you get.

I like your suggestions for scopes. A Nightforce is my dream scope! well, as far as anything I have ever seen and the reviews it gets. For the quality, it isn't necessary to spend any more $$ than you pay for one of those. Those will be something I have to save for for sure! I plan on reloaded when i "get back to the states" in jan. starting from scratch. A friend of mine gave me a crash course and i'm confident i can pick it up quickly-especially with all the help on here.

@ Derek M. From what you are saying, it sounds to be like truing the action and getting a good match barrel are something that should be done at the same time. Is this what you suggest? Also, If I were to change to a different LA caliber, how does that work besides getting a differently chambered barrel? I definitely like the ballistics of other cartridges better than the -06 and the availablity of ammunition, but is it worth it in the short run?

Thanks guys for your replies! I appreciate it!

Derek M. From what you are saying, it sounds to be like truing the action and getting a good match barrel are something that should be done at the same time. Is this what you suggest?
Absolutely.
Also, If I were to change to a different LA caliber, how does that work besides getting a differently chambered barrel?
That's all that is required.
I definitely like the ballistics of other cartridges better than the -06 and the availablity of ammunition, but is it worth it in the short run?
That's completely up to you when something becomes "worth it." If you really just want to play and mess around, leave the rifle as is, but when you start talking 500 yards, many factory rifles are setting you up for disappointment because they are inconsistent, inaccurate, and your best handloads may still shoot mediocre. With Chad Dixon practically in your backyard, I highly highly recommend you go have a nice 10+ minute chat with the guy and you'll soon realize what I'm talking about.

A lot of different, and a lot of really knowledgeable and experience people, much more so than myself, on here that will help you. Cool thing about Remington's, they have **** near every aftermarket products you can think of available for them. Don't feel like you need to do everything at once, or everything at all. If it were me starting from where you are, I would first off replace the stock on that thing. I have bought two 700's in the past few years, an SPS tactical and a Sendero. I put McMillan Game Scout on the Sendero (I think it was about $520 after adding a second stud and shipping) and a B&C Tactical Medalist Style 3 w/ "Hook" (About $230) on the SPS Tac. I should say that the Sendero already has a good stock on it, I just was not a fan of the wide forend and palm swell. I think the SPS has an adjustable trigger on it, so lighten that puppy up and tune it to your desired pull.

Spend some time trying different brands of ammo out and see what one your gun likes best. I would say quality glass is something you will want to invest in sooner than later. I ended up going with the Vortex Viper PST (the big boy of course), and love it. The glass is outstanding on it, and the clicks are super accurate. All the suggestions that were made on here are good ones, and ones that you should consider...If you arent happy with making a few minor changes. I personally was on a strict budget when I was choosing my guns, and its components. I wanted basically the most accurate gun I could afford. My Sendero and my SPS tac both shoot .5 MOA with me doing my part. I think expecting accuracy out of the SPS in a 30/06 at 500 is very do able. I would adjust the trigger, replace the stock and get a good piece of glass with a solid base, and asses what you would need from there.

Hey guys just a follow-up question: if I decide to change calibers when i upgrade my barrel, in the LA family, would i need to change the bolt face (or buy an entirely new bolt)? For example, as i previously stated, i have a 30-06. If i changed to say a 7 RM, is all i need a barrel swap or do I need to make other modifications?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts