PLRF 10 Modification

bigngreen,

set your LRF on a good solid tripod or even a monopod or some other very solid rest.

Place a target to bounce the beam from at a known long distance of around 600 yards or so.

Make the target no larger than 24" square. 12x12 would be better, I think. Maybe two reflective license plates fastened together.

The laser target doesn't need to have any obstructions around it to do this test. On the skyline isn't bad either.

Once set up "shoot" the beam at different points around the target using the square/rectangle sight thinger.

I played around with mine for several hours over several sessions and learned that the beam was close enough to the size of the aiming square that I couldn't tell any difference. But the beam was half in the sighting square and half below it.

Thus the bottom of the sighting square was spot on. Discovering this error in aiming and the mono pod made all the difference in the world.

HTH

Roy, I played with mine a little to try to narrow down exactly what point I should use to aim and it seems to be on the lower half, if the goats were in a steeper spot it would be like taking candy from a baby but in the flat sage brush it can be hard. I've found that draping my rear bag over the front of my scope and hugging the rifle while ranging is rock solid, very solid and I can get ranges in conditions that I was real surprised I could, full sun out past 1100yrds ain't bad for this unit.
I could just make a quick hold correction and send a second round over and TKO one but I'm limiting my self to one cold bore shot, if I miss I spend the time to figure out what went wrong so far it has been all range, one my fault and one just flat hard to get the true range, windage has been dead on :D

I'm just going to save for a PLRF, not having a good range is like shooting low BC bullets at half charge with only 25MOA of scope adjustment, it sucks and confidence level is low!

bigngreen,

There's only one other fella that I know of with your sense of discipline. That would be buffalobob, a well respected long ranger.

You are to be commended.

Shawn, Good info!! Glad to see your experiences with the PLRF10 mirror mine. I ranged an Elk the other day at 2500 plus...(dont remember the change) anyway, 3 ranges to the exact same yardage. He was on a hill side so I raised it just over his back ... 7 yards farther to the dirt. :) These are expensive but if you dont have the range right you are probably in trouble. Past 1000 close simply is not good enough.

I was on a mountain last night in WY. hunting Mule deer. Got caught in snow. So I played with the PLRF10 a bit. moderate snow 805 yards. heavy snow 285 yards. But the 285 yard range it was snowing so hard I am not sure I could have seen a deer at this distance. My conclusion, the PLRF10 will range as far as I can see to shoot in any condition. But I have not tried fog.

Jeff gun)gun)

Bravo, I was hoping with increased demand prices would go down, not up! I just doubt enough of us would buy to move the market - I presume the military buys lots of them already although I read it was mostly the 15 model. However, your suggestion of a group buy is a good one - maybe Len could orchestrate it. What do you think Len?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.