Maybe I don’t hate the 6.5 CM

I'll tell you that RL26 is just magic in the Creed. Had a friend from this website convince me to try it and he was correct on the velocities you can achieve. It kinda ticked me off, since I was now achieving similar velocities to my 6.5-284 Norma with the same bullet. When the Norma needs a new barrel, I'm going to make it into a 6.5-280AI since the Creed is filling the niche the Norma used to take
Why not try RL26 in the 6.5-284 then?

If the 6.5CM was around 10yrs ago, my boys would have started with it as their first deer rifle (instead of the 243, never loved using 100gr ammo, even on relatively small Texas deer). the 6.5 140gr bullets have excellent BC and plenty of oomph but would have started them on 120gr for recoil.

If I was smarter 10yrs ago before the 6.5CM, they would have started on the 270win or 7mm-08 and 120gr ammo if I could find them as easily in youth stocks vs. the 243win.

My nephew was 2/2 this past season with his 6.5CM factory ELDX. His 1st and 2nd deer ever. I took the videos with my phone through the spotter. Range, 240 and 235 yards.

I have enjoyed reading this thread. I have killed critters with 30-06, 270, 270 Winchester short magnum, 338 Winchester magnum. After seeing my son polish off four deer with 357 magnum, I asked myself, What am I trying to prove with all these big cartridges? And I admit I did wanna find out what all the hubbub was about with the Creedmoor. So I tried one and I was amazed that as soon as I got the thing sighted in I was shooting groups that I could cover with a dime at 200 yd. Well I was selling the Creedmoor short! yesterday I found that I could consistently hit a small piece of duct tape at 400 yd anytime I liked! Just had to get used to the Sauer 100. Bought another Creedmoor Mauser M18 and haven't had time to really see what it can do yet but first time out with it got 300 yard group I could hide under a quarter. So it can only get better. The power factor limits its terminal performance beyond 600 yards but it was designed to be a target cartridge. The "magic " is in the new hunting bullets! That's how some are stretching success with the 6.5. I still wouldn't take it polar bear hunting. But if I had to shoot one with it at least I know I could get perfect shot placement!😁

Jon, you didn't get another Sauer 100?
Yeah, I did! But in 30-06! What, did ya think I am some kind of man bun wearing sissy?
I have three rifles now that are basically the same rifle minus differences in the stock; 2 Sauers and a Mauser M18. All great shooters. But I liked the 6.5 CM enough to get two of them.

So, I have had a long term aversion to owning a 6.5 creedmoor but decided to give one a try. I trade for an almost new Bergara B14 Ridge. This rifle is well balanced and well put together as I would expect from Bergara. Mounted my Vortex Viper 4-16x44 HS LR and headed to the range after a quick bore sight. Took a few to dial it in but after 20 rounds, I am really overall impressed. Low recoil, tight groups, the trigger is amazing and it was just a pleasure to shoot from the bench. I have been a .308/30-06 fan for my whole life. I may have found my new favorite.
🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮 this is how it starts. Next you'll be wearing women's underwear and carrying a purse. (I'm giving you crap btw)

It really boils down to wanting something a little different than the masses for me. I've got a 308 that is super easy to shoot and carry. I'll probably never sell it. I am more of .284 fan these days. I don't see a gap that I need to fill with a 6.5 CM. If I went 6.5, I would probably go to a PRC or something a little more obscure. I really don't shoot factory ammo anymore. Whatever floats your boat…..

It really boils down to wanting something a little different than the masses for me. I've got a 308 that is super easy to shoot and carry. I'll probably never sell it. I am more of .284 fan these days. I don't see a gap that I need to fill with a 6.5 CM. If I went 6.5, I would probably go to a PRC or something a little more obscure. I really don't shoot factory ammo anymore. Whatever floats your boat…..
Try it, you'll like it. You don't need 50 BMG to be a man. But then, a man has to know his limitations.

Along with my two custom Swedish mausers I built from the old 96's, and the 4 Creedmoor's ,I do have a PRC in the savage 110 high country. It's a shooter but you better be in shape if you're walking very far cause she's definitely heavy. I have have a Leupold MK4 6.5x20 mounted on it. Seriously considering selling it and getting the 110 ultralight. Took this huge mule deer doe in Wyoming with it last season.

Attachments

• Resized_20201015_110051.jpeg
    Resized_20201015_110051.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 38
Along with my two custom Swedish mausers I built from the old 96's, and the 4 Creedmoor's ,I do have a PRC in the savage 110 high country. It's a shooter but you better be in shape if you're walking very far cause she's definitely heavy. I have have a Leupold MK4 6.5x20 mounted on it. Seriously considering selling it and getting the 110 ultralight. Took this huge mule deer doe in Wyoming with it last season.
ECB38BF4-DF9C-4440-A389-04E1C2A18D74.jpeg

Same gun, and pretty close to being the same deer 😄

I took that doe a couple of months back in the Rockies with my High Country.

That's in 6.5 CM.

Congrats on the new gun! Looks really nice, a lot of haters on the creedmoor but it's a much respected choice. I don't own one personally but there's no arguing it doesn't do things extremely well!!! Enjoy

It took me a long time to give in on the Creedmoor craze, i now have three in the family (daughter wanted one too). Best thing I did. They are pleasant to shoot and all group well. We have killed numerous whitetail with one shot with Eld-x 143. Enjoy your fine rifle and don't listen to the haters.

Recent Posts