Max range you would shoot at game?

When I run the numbers through a ballistics calculator, the only way the energy and retained velocity for the bullet to perform/have adequate remaining energy to kill, works, is if it's an extremely high bc bullet.

The Barnes LRX is good. It's not great in the bc area.

That leaves eld-x, Berger and the ABLR.

Is that what you guys are using?

Don't those bullets have issues if you need deep penetration etc?
That not necessarily true of bc.
In fact most of my mono loaded rifles have very close to the same max distance.
Example. 6.5 creedmore with the 147gr eld
Hits min FPS to open between 600-650.
Because I can push the hammers faster at the start they also run out of min FPS at between 600-650. So essentially the same distance. Now this can change based on round but holds true for my most common stuff.

I base it on the bullet I'm using. Whatever fps it needs to perform is my max distance for the combo. Most of my set ups hit that between 800-1k. I practice those shots regularly and feel confident to take them, also depends on conditions. 700 is my furtherest shot on a coues deer.

For me it is completely based on the conditions, my shooting position, and how the animal is acting. I like to shoot at calm animals that are not apt to move, abruptly. Sometimes, an animal has been spooked or is following a doe/cow and just won't stay still for more then a couple seconds. Alot of things can happen from the time the bullet leaves the muzzle until it impacts a target at 1000+ yards.

My advice is to practice from field positions and be honest with yourself about your capabilities in different situations. Set your limits based on that. Some situations my limits will be half of what they are in an ideal, no wind, prone, feeding animal scenario.

It's easy to shoot 1/4moa groups off a bench….a little more of a challenge shooting them off a pack or some trekking poles, tripod, etc..

I target shoot out to 1000 yards but limit myself to around 450 for hunting. There are two reasons for this. One I don't hunt with my target rifle and two I'm very concerned about shot placement on Game in the field. If I take the shot I want to put them down quickly. But that's just me. Other hunters are younger and steadier in the field than I think I am so they can take longer shots and still be able to put them down.

For me it depends a lot on my confidence. If I've been shooting a ton and at longer ranges, I would hunt out to about 700 yards. If I haven't, then out to about 400 yards. I have 3 rifles that all shoot very well and well below 1/2 MOA at distance. (6.5, 300, and 338). I have hunted with many people that have full confidence in their +$10k long range hunting kits including ammo. I've never seen any one of them get a good clean kill at the magical 1,000 yard range. That's just my opinion. You are killing an animal, a slight 4mph wind at 7' above ground and you are going to miss or even worse, just leg wound an animal. This is strictly my opinion.

I am blessed to spend a lot of time on a range that goes to 1325 yards. I am also blessed to guide several whitetail hunts each season. Most of the time, I limit my personal shots on game to 500 yards. Primarily, that is due to environmentals (wind) and bullet travel time. I have made several exceptions to that "rule of thumb" due to circumstances (very low wind, wounded animal, …). My suggestion is to spend enough time at a range, with your specific set of tools (rifle, optic, and ammunition), to develop your own limit. Varying winds (direction and speed) can really be tricky. Be safe. Have fun.

"Confident at 1200 yd on game." Is that on ýour iPhone or in the world of killing game?

I'm very new.

So new, that the longest range I have shot at a target is 425 yards.

I dialed in the elevation based on load data I plugged into an iPhone app called SBC, and "pinged" an eight inch piece of steel every time I pulled the trigger.

Therefore, "long range" to me right now is 425 yards.

I'm co Gide t I could kill game, first shot on a cold bore, at 425 yards.

If I can do the same at 600, that will be my new standard.

Beyond 600 yards, the cartridge I shoot 280 ai, and the bullet/load combo, I would loose confidence in. It's a 139 Barnes LRX. It's going really fast and accurate with my hand load, but it falls below 2,300 fps. My understanding is that 2,300 fps is the cutoff for reliable expansion with that bullet.

From the limited hunting I have done, a perfect broadside shoot is not always possible. So I chose Barnes bullets because they can penetrate extremely well, negating the need for a perfect shot.

I do not believe that Berger or Hornady bullets perform optimally if they have to penetrate through the shoulder of a big elk.

Am I thinking about this incorrectly?

What day you,
I try to limit it to 400 yds with the 260 Rem and about 700 yds with the 7 STW. Maybe stretch both given circumstances, but that's my bullet performance/shooter skill confidence range in field conditions. My longest shot with the 300 H&H was about 375 yds on a warthog ( pulled the shot a little and earholed him) but most have been inside of 300 yds. I always try to sneak closer with a stock 1957 vintage Model 70.

I try to limit it to 400 yds with the 260 Rem and about 700 yds with the 7 STW. Maybe stretch both given circumstances, but that's my bullet performance/shooter skill confidence range in field conditions. My longest shot with the 300 H&H was about 375 yds on a warthog ( pulled the shot a little and earholed him) but most have been inside of 300 yds. I always try to sneak closer with a stock 1957 vintage Model 70.
Thats all about knowing your skill level and cartridge selection.Love the old 300 H&H Mag.
I have noticed that if I have 2 cups of coffee I cannot hold as steady as no morning coffee and reduce my shot range accordingly.
I have killed a few animals at 610,601 and 595 yards and am working at practicing to 800 yards but I am not a 800 yard shooter yet and prefer 100 to 300 yards like many here.

I hunt east of the Mississippi. If I can see the deer, it's not that far away. With that said, If I ever have the opportunity to hunt some of the places y'all do, out to the limits of my comfort zone, "situation dictates". I can score a first round hit in good conditions on a 2MOA sized round plate out to 500 dang near on command. I know that's a chip shot for most folks on this forum, but like I said, I live/hunt east of the mississippi. If the conditions suck, I won't take a long( to me) shot on a game animal. Especially if I'm shooting from an improvised position.

I keep my ranges to what I know I can hit confidently on the first shot. Too many variables to say definitively: game size/toughness, environmental conditions, game location, bullet selection, caliber and speed etc etc. Biggest consideration and variable is my comfort level with the shot, and is based on my practice leading up to that particular scenario and the rifle in hand. I usually practice out to 1200-1800 frequently, but not with all of my rifles and not as much as I would like some years. Practicing at those ranges makes me feel really confident when I go back to 800-1000 and can produce first round hits with consistency.

300 on a coyote and that's about as far as I'd take on a deer. I'm just not there yet. My practice range is 300 yards and the max I can get by moving to the edge of my property is 500 safely. I did take a big sow at 499 last year with my 6.5. But she was far enough not to notice me getting everything situated to make the perfect shot. Dropped her. I'm human and moral, but that don't matter to me with them, gut shot hogs die eventually, or at least they don't reproduce.

Recent Posts