Would you?

4xforfun

I have a 338 Edge. I started with 50 pieces of Rem brass and 91 H 1000 @ 2840. Shoots AWESOME!! My plan was to shoot the "crappy" Rem brass twice because EVERYONE said that the primer pockets would give out. So, I purchased 100 Bertrom Edge brass and 16 pounds of RL33 ....figured I would work up a new load with the new brass.

BUT...a couple years later I just finished the SEVENTH firing on the Rem brass, and the primer pockets are loose enough now.....but...I am having 2nd thoughts about working up a new load, as the H1000 @ 2840 is a wonderful load. I figured I would back off a couple of grains with the new brass and H 1000 and work up to the node at around 2840...as opposed to a whole new test to try and gain that extra 100 FPS.

WOULD YOU....
Switch to RL33 and do a complete load workup...

OR

Stay with the H1000 and do min testing.

Tod

If you do what you have always done, you'll get what you've always got.
It's all about if you are happy with what your doing now. If you want more, change is inevitable. It's easy to go backwards if it doesn't work. Just my 2 cents

I have a 338 Edge. I started with 50 pieces of Rem brass and 91 H 1000 @ 2840. Shoots AWESOME!! My plan was to shoot the "crappy" Rem brass twice because EVERYONE said that the primer pockets would give out. So, I purchased 100 Bertrom Edge brass and 16 pounds of RL33 ....figured I would work up a new load with the new brass.

BUT...a couple years later I just finished the SEVENTH firing on the Rem brass, and the primer pockets are loose enough now.....but...I am having 2nd thoughts about working up a new load, as the H1000 @ 2840 is a wonderful load. I figured I would back off a couple of grains with the new brass and H 1000 and work up to the node at around 2840...as opposed to a whole new test to try and gain that extra 100 FPS.

WOULD YOU....
Switch to RL33 and do a complete load workup...

OR

Stay with the H1000 and do min testing.

Tod

So I recently went through the exact same thing with my Edge. Been using H1000 and 300 grain SMK. I bought 8 lbs of 33 and a box of 270 grain ELDX. Long story short I went back to the H1000 and the Sierras. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Can't argue with bughole groups and single digit ES. By the way the only brass I've used is Remmy and I'm running them hard. Congrats on your shooter!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.