Are you gonna shoot LR at game this year?

I would have to say if the conditions warrant it and I can't get any closer I will pull the trigger on an animal comfortably out to 800 yards. If the conditions are perfect and I have along a spotter that I can trust with making wind calls at the target I might try and stretch it to 1000. With that being said I always try to close the distance to a minimum of 500 yards or less if at all possible. I purchased my long range rifle for the reason of being prepared to bring home the bacon whenever it presents itself. I practice all the time and I am very confident in my shooting ability.
gun)

Never thought I'd say this but NO. The centerfire rifles most likely will stay in the gun cabinet this fall during big game season. The wife has a new bow and wants to spend more time bow hunting. The Labs have been neglected and would appreciate more time upland and waterfowl hunting. I'm taking a break with assisting other hunters for one season. With long range competition and already knocking the snot out of weeds (Weed: noun, a wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants) this year way….way….way out there, I'll spend more time hunting with a bow and shotgun with the family instead of having all those numbers flying through my mind. I'm actually looking forward to smelling the roses and not having to concentrate on all the intricacies required for long range accuracy. For the rest that will LR hunt game this fall, enjoy, and as always when it's time, shoot confident, shoot smart, shoot straight.

I will get as close as I possibly can. and if the conditions are right, my rest is stable and the buck/bull is of the caliber that im looking for. I will pull the trigger. if everything isn't lining up, I wont shoot.

I will say 'it depends'. An 800 + shot with one rifle in 'perfect' conditions may not be reasonable with another rifle. If I'm hunting with my 358 Win, then the answer is 'no'. Same with my 25-06. Could I reasonably expect to hit in the kill zone at that range w/ the '06? Yes, would it ethically take the game? Maybe, maybe not.
With the 243, my limit is 400 yards on a whitetail. On steel, it's 800. With the 264, Yes, I'd take the shot and expect to be cleaning and loading up a deer. Again, only in a 'perfect' conditions setting.

I would feel very comfortable at 600 yards in fairly decent conditions. If i can't get closer and conditions are favorable then I would feel confident out to 800 yards. I plan on getting as close as I can before making the shot but am hunting in very steep rough terrain that is not favorable in getting close to animals. If i don't feel good about a shot I will not take it. I think for the most part I should be able to stalk in to within at least 500 yards.

I got sitting thinking about this while I was hunting one time many moons ago. So I started a thread to see what other people thought.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/ever-think-about-little-123005/

Basically what a majority of us concluded is that this whole long range hunting thing is great, but it is probably nothing more than an insurance policy most of the time. The large majority of us would more than likely spot the game, get as close as we can and shoot it. Now if we spot it at 1000yds, and move to 350 and shoot it great. If we spot it at 2000 yards, and can only get as close as 900, then that is where the long range pays off. Having the confidence and skill to make that kill shot when the non-long rangers have to wait it out and live to find that animal another day.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.