1 day at the long range: how would you spend your time?

Winny94

I have a mulie/pronghorn doe hunt next week. Going to the "Long range" range Friday to verify my load. This is the only range I have access to further than 200 yards, and its quite a drive, so i don't get there often.

I have narrowed my load down to 2 options. They are the same load, only difference is the jump:

First Load:
  • Great accuracy @ 100 (consistently .5 MOA and often smaller)
  • Great consistency (ES of 8-10, SD of 4.5)
  • Very slow for the cartridge
  • .090" jump
Second Load:
  • Good accuracy @ 100 (about .75 MOA)
  • Good consistency (Es of 17, SD of 6.7)
  • 65 FPS faster
  • at lands
My question is: should I just load up all my rounds at the of the more consistent load and get a lot of practice in with that one round, or split my rounds 50/50 to see how each performs at 300,400, 500 & 600? My practical max distance is going to be about 450 on the hunt since i haven't had enough time to familiarize myself intimately with this round (rarely do we get shots past 300).
Practically speaking, both rounds perform nearly identically for the distances Ill be shooting (2" of drop @ 500 and .6" of drift in a full value 15 MPH wind difference b/w the 2)

Specs:
H1000
Berger VLD Hunting 7mm 180gr

I'd load all the first load you could. Print out your expected drop chart and dial up 500 or 600 yards. Shoot a group, compare it to your drop chart. Make any adjustments. Calculate new drop chart based on results and shoot up as much as you want at various distances. Don't chase 65 fps.

Touching lands not a good idea for hunting. Sticking a bullet ends the hunt and I've seen it happen, and 65 FPS is nothing to worry about. So your choice is easy.

Load enough of the first load to verify drops and practice with

I had the same issue last year before leaving for Africa. The load that shot the best in my new rifle was pretty slow, only 2750 fps but shot fantastic .5 MOA at all ranges. The faster load, 2975 fps was still 1moa out to 1000 and I was thinking more/faster has to be better, right? after some serious kibitzing over the two loads I decided to stick with the slower/more accurate load and practiced for two months at ranges that I thought were pertinent to Africa. I was not disappointed. the 6.5 x 284 performed flawlessly on animals from Wart Hogs to a large Kudu shot at 400 yards with a 140 grain Berger elite. Go with Accuracy every time as long as the load still has the necessary energy to expand the bullet at the ranges you feel you will be shooting at, IMO.

I had the same issue last year before leaving for Africa. The load that shot the best in my new rifle was pretty slow, only 2750 fps but shot fantastic .5 MOA at all ranges. The faster load, 2975 fps was still 1moa out to 1000 and I was thinking more/faster has to be better, right? after some serious kibitzing over the two loads I decided to stick with the slower/more accurate load and practiced for two months at ranges that I thought were pertinent to Africa. I was not disappointed. the 6.5 x 284 performed flawlessly on animals from Wart Hogs to a large Kudu shot at 400 yards with a 140 grain Berger elite. Go with Accuracy every time as long as the load still has the necessary energy to expand the bullet at the ranges you feel you will be shooting at, IMO.

For reasons above, AND for the consistency, I'd load up 1 and ru neither it. SD is big for me.

I have a mulie/pronghorn doe hunt next week. Going to the "Long range" range Friday to verify my load. This is the only range I have access to further than 200 yards, and its quite a drive, so i don't get there often.

I have narrowed my load down to 2 options. They are the same load, only difference is the jump:

First Load:
  • Great accuracy @ 100 (consistently .5 MOA and often smaller)
  • Great consistency (ES of 8-10, SD of 4.5)
  • Very slow for the cartridge
  • .090" jump
Second Load:
  • Good accuracy @ 100 (about .75 MOA)
  • Good consistency (Es of 17, SD of 6.7)
  • 65 FPS faster
  • at lands
My question is: should I just load up all my rounds at the of the more consistent load and get a lot of practice in with that one round, or split my rounds 50/50 to see how each performs at 300,400, 500 & 600? My practical max distance is going to be about 450 on the hunt since i haven't had enough time to familiarize myself intimately with this round (rarely do we get shots past 300).
Practically speaking, both rounds perform nearly identically for the distances Ill be shooting (2" of drop @ 500 and .6" of drift in a full value 15 MPH wind difference b/w the 2)

Specs:
H1000
Berger VLD Hunting 7mm 180gr
First load (most accurate), for sure going on a hunt I want accuracy way before speed! Especially on speed goats that are much smaller animals than deer and seldom stationary. They like to browse at 2-3 mph so you want yur most accurate load for those little guys..sort of like coyotes, even smaller and always moving...great question we have all faced from time to time in reloading!

Animals will never know its 65fps slower. Go for accuracy and practice, practice, and practice.

This!!! and practice prone, and odd positions if you can... seated, crouching, from shooting sticks, running and then setting up and calming yourself to shoot.

I've shot from more odd positions hunting antelope than anything else, and winded from hiking up hills then having them appear suddenly.

Total faith in your load goes a long way to giving you the confidence to make those weird shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.