Made My longest Poke on an Antelope Today

Broz

Was a pretty good morning for a goat hunt. Cool and crisp, light and steady wind and goats in the morning sun. I snuck to a berm near my range where I shoot often and know the wind currents well. Got dialed in with the wind mostly behind me. Baro 25.88 , temp 42, hum 20%, shoot angle -1* SD, on, CD azmuth 223 latitude 46* all entered into my Applied Ballistice app on my phone. Solution, dial up 31.3, and with a 7:00 wind at 3 mph, dial left 1.8. Two bags under the rear, solid as a rock , check the level , a little preload on the pod. Spotter says he is on it, the doe facing left with the brace post behind her. Yep.... Here we go and the 1lb Jewell broke clean. Where did it go? and then she folded up like she was hit with a hammer. Chambered a second round and got back on her but she never got back up. She was done. The 215 gr Berger had found home.

Longest shot to date on an antelope. 1285 yards ranged with my PLRF10. And if you look at this terrain you know my range finder was on all goat.

Here is the pic.

Jeff

DSC04160Small.jpg

Excellent job Jeff! Nicely done.

You fellas that are making these cold bore 1 shot kills at beyond the 1000 yd. mark are certainly in a different league than most.

Those PLRF10' are so sweet! They only need to add a jewel trigger to them too.:)

Are you resting the RF on bags, or do you use a tripod?

You fellas that are making these cold bore 1 shot kills at beyond the 1000 yd. mark are certainly in a different league than most.

Those PLRF10' are so sweet! They only need to add a jewel trigger to them too.:)

Thanks!

Actually that PLRF 10 has a trigger like a Jewell. It fires on release and you will never feel your finger move. It is sweet. I had the RF on bags prone. That goat was pretty small at 1285 through a 6x objective. But with the fine cross hairs in the RF I got 1285 3 times in a row.

Jeff

Thanks!

Actually that PLRF 10 has a trigger like a Jewell. It fires on release and you will never feel your finger move. It is sweet. I had the RF on bags prone. That goat was pretty small at 1285 through a 6x objective. But with the fine cross hairs in the RF I got 1285 3 times in a row.

Jeff

Ooh, ok. I didn't realize they fired on release. The one I played with some seemed hard to press the button, but on release would make that unimportant probably.

6X, ok. That was the other thing I wondered. The optics looked very clear in the one I'd seen, but didn't know the power.

How often would you say you practice at distances of 1000 yds and over?

Thanks for the info

Man Jeff that is awsome, 1285 yds, just saying it gives me the chills. I have alot of practicing to do before I am ready for that.

Congrats!!!

Different league....I'm not even in their parking lot much less on the same field. Wait is it farther to shoot from the parking lot. Can't tell cause my old range finder doesn't even give bad numbers at that distance.

Jeff, that's an amazing shot, congrats!!!!! You guys that can make those shots way past 1k surely are in a different league!

That sure a sweet looking rifle you have there. What caliber, weight and load are you using?

How often would you say you practice at distances of 1000 yds and over?

Thanks for the info

I don't do alot of shooting under 800 yards unless it is very very windy. Most of the practicing is done at 1000 plus. I use to only practice with this 300 win to 1200, but after taking it to 1800 a few times I realized it had good accuracy potential past 1000. I would think twice before engaging larger game past 1000 but even at 1285 it still had over 1340 ft lbs of energy. I needed to know if the 215 would expand at these slowed velocities so when the conditions were right I was ready to go for it.

Jeff

Jeff is just showing off......and he does it so well :)! Great shot and an inspiration to all on the forum to get out and practice. Thanks for sharing your hunt and all the knowledge you have on ELR!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.