Longest Sniper Kill "Update"

First of all my congradulations for being a part of the record. Having been there, done that in 1966-67. I know what the 30-06 can do at 1000 yds. so i have no doubt as to what you are stating here. It is too bad we didn't have the Barret back then. Would have liked to give it a go! Thanks for serving your country. There are people around, myself included, that appreciate what you guys are giving up. Pay no attention to someone who is insensitive and less receptive to you because they are mostly for the part, armchair quarterbacks or wanna-be's. Carry on and good luck in your future endeavors. .....SEMPER FI!
I don't know the tactical situation but I do know that indirect fire/air support is not always available.

Speaking of long shots. Was just reading a article in back of this years copy of sniper magazine
About the English sniper Craig Harrison. After putting his *** on the line hr is getting a storm of BS
from his own country over his 1.54 mile shots that killed 2 Taliban. He has received death threats as well as his wife, and hid daughter is picked on and bullied by other students. I find it absolute BS that this has happened even his own military troops have turned on him. I know this crap happens in this country as well. and it is a shame full and cowardly to treat our
Own soldiers this way even a fellow soldier who has fought beside our troops in just such a degrading way. I have not been in the military and I hope I have not offended any of you who have been or still in the military today. I humbly and respectfully say thank all of you who have given so much for my family and me to have the freedoms we have today thank you! These two words just don't seem to be enough.

I apologize for long post and bad word usage was typing on cell phone little to fast.
You sir are a true american patriot and have nothing to apologize for. I thank you for being so. Yes it is a shame that Harrison and his family have to endure such treatment as i experienced much of the same while in the Marine Corps in 1966-67. I once had a fellow Marine call me a murderer when he saw the Mod.70 i was carrying. He didn't realise that i just might have saved his --- at one point in time. I cannot understand ridicule of snipers or any other military operators by civilian or fellow warriors. Some people don't think before they try to judge others. We all had a job to do and we did it without reservation. ..... SEMPER FI!

Both are amazing feats! Especially since the Army says the M107 is a 2.5 moa gun with a max effective range of 600 meters on a soft target and 1830 meters for a hard target. That and even at high altitude the bullet went susonic 2/3 the way to the target.
Sorry brother but I've seen first hand (many times) what a .50 cal round will do to a person, even at 20 meters. It's messy but never seen anybody blown in half. Especially the susonic bullet you were witnessing.

I will just start by saying that I do not shoot past 1000 yards, so I really do not feel like this ELR forum is the place for me to be posting, but I do follow it.
Let's just assume that there are people on this forum, which were involved in non-ideal situations while serving in the military that ended with stunning, or devastating results. Just like every other event in life, not everything goes as planned, but there is a given mission to complete, and one must take the necessary actions to complete that mission. To this soldier who was involved in this situation, you sure gave a hell of an atta boy!
Maybe this person is real and maybe this person is not, but if he was part of this stated event I would say he is a hell of an asset to this forum.
Happy hunting

This kinda confirms my opinion that the Barrett and 50BMG more specifically is the king of long range. There's a lot going on with the Cheytac calibers that seems good on paper, but in real practice, it's the Barrett 50BMG that's getting it done. Any confirmations of that?

etisII40, I understand what you are hinting around at and the bottom line is that the weapons used by the snipers revolve around 3 weapons and only 4 calibers, EXCEPT, for those who get to play with their own choices. And those are the M110 (ar style) in 7.62, the m107 Barrett in 50bmg, and the "newer" rifles in .300 win and .338 lm. The most passed around long ranger is the 50 by far and thus has had the enjoyment of substantial more field work than any other system or caliber suited for long pokes.
That all being said, they aren't accuracy kings by any means but they get the job done and then some. However, there are a handful of cartridges out there that are inherently more accurate and in smaller platforms, yet still have the same or better range ability. Have to remember, the big 50 is just a super sized version of the 30.06 in design.
I am in no way slamming the big girl, heck I am trying to figure which platform to get with that cartridge for my own collection but just making a point.
As far as the shot goes..... if it really did happen..... It doesn't matter if that thing was heard coming in. A bullet that heavy is gonna hurt no matter the velocity! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.