Made My longest Poke on an Antelope Today

Nice going Jeff:)
We never get to hunt in flat country like that. Do you ever hear the sound of the hit come back on the flats like that? I shot a hind (doe) at long range yesterday testing the new Burris Eliminator Laserscope III that was standing on top of a little side ridge, with the main face a further 400 yards behind it. She was hit square in the shoulder which would normally produce a good "whack" sound back, but I heard nothing other than the echo of the shot. I presumed not having a steep hillside right behind the animal meant there was nothing to reflect the sound of the hit back. If this was the case then you wouldn't hear the sound of the hit very well on the flats either? What do you think?
Greg

You could be right Greg, I didn't here the hit on this one, but we do on some closer ones on the flats. I figured it was from the slowed velocity and only 1340 ft lbs of energy.

Jeff

Nice shot. Love it when it all comes together. As far as the 40 jump with the Bergers. Most of the guys in 1000 yard benchrest are shooting them in but a couple of guys are jumping them 40, 80 or 100 thous. off. It seems for extreme accuracy in our guns they don't like the touch to 30 off range. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.