Looking for a New Gun

Cooper
Christensen
Montana Rifle Company

Or

Add a grand and go full custom and get whatever you want. But you won't get the rifle and glass for your budget on any of those options.

Sako
Browning
CZ
Tikka

Are all decent manufacturers. Choose a cartridge that is popular and offers a ton of factory ammo selection and you should be able to find a 1/4 to 1/2 MOA 200yd group outta something. The 6.5Creed immediately comes to mind and carries +1400lbft to 500yd with the 140gr options. Perfectly capable of any North American Game to 500yds.

I do not handload, and no ammo is not exactly an issue I have friends that can get me cheap prices on ammunition of any brand and caliber. Not even so much worried about what caliber to get the rifle, as much as the rifle itself. Want the best bang for my buck. Anyone ever used a XBolt pro, or nosler mountain carbon? Or have a rifle they would have faith in taking out of the box and shooting 1000 yards to kill?
Christensen

Currently been searching for a new gun to get myself later on this year.

Wanted to get some opinions on the following options -

Budget (2,000 - 3,000)

Browning X-Bolt Pro - 28 Nosler
Nosler Mountain Carbon - 28 Nosler

Open to any suggestions.

Want to confidently be able to take almost any game in North America at 500 yards without worrying about accuracy of the rifle. Thanks
.338 for anything and if you are ever in Griz country......

I agree with going the custom route, if you are going to drop $3k on a factory rifle, you can obviously afford a little more on a gun built to your spec.

Factory rifles need to be bedded, barrel freefloated, trigger tweeked to your liking, before you ever fire a shot!

I suggest that you buy a Rem Action, boyd's stock, Criterion barrel chambered in what you like, have the gunsmith bed the action, freefloat the barrel, install a good trigger.

You will have in the area of $2200 in a world class shooting rifle!

For the 28 Nosler, I would get a Ultra mag 700 action, Wyatt's mag box, and have gunsmith open up the mag well to fit the Wyatt's mag box. The Wyatt's mag box will give you another .120 in OAL.

I was going to say the same thing just get a 338LM if you want a big rifle!
Mine shoots a 250 Gr. Partition over 3000 Fps. What animal in N.A. can take that?
It was designed from the get go to be a precision long range rifle for the most dangerous animal on Earth! And they succeeded!

Currently been searching for a new gun to get myself later on this year.

Wanted to get some opinions on the following options -

Budget (2,000 - 3,000)

Browning X-Bolt Pro - 28 Nosler
Nosler Mountain Carbon - 28 Nosler

Open to any suggestions.

Want to confidently be able to take almost any game in North America at 500 yards without worrying about accuracy of the rifle. Thanks

I don't personally like two aspects of Brownings. I don't like the trigger, and I don't care for the stock designs. I really like two-stage triggers, so I would pick a rifle that could be built around that aspect of it.

If you are working on a $3000 rifle. Here would be my build.

Bighorn Origin Long action $950, $250-350 two stage trigger, $550 proof Research steel barrel, $250 APA brake, and a $1000 Gunwerks stock.

Any gunsmith in your area would be able to set headspace on the proof barrel, and it is already threaded for the action and the muzzle brake. This should be less than a $100 job, as it will only take 10-25 minutes to do.

You could save money and buy a HS Precision stock, or a McMillan or Manners that you like the design of.

Christensen Ridgeline in 7mm rem mag. Easy to find ammo, brass, and will kill anything 500 yards and better. Shooting beyond 1000, get the 28 nosler, but under 1000, 7 mag all the way. The CA Ridgeline is a hammer.

28 nosler, you got to love it on paper. I have had two. First was mauser with Lilja Barrel. Have 3.4 box but throat was long and was hard to get to group. It will not push feed so 3.400 is the max COAL. After some time I got it under .5 MOA with 168 Berger Classic Hunter. The second is a Bighorn, Proof Carbon, AG Composite, BixNandy. It will shoot anything up thru a 180 VLD under .5MOA. Load development was nothing. Neither one is fun without a brake. I re-chambered the Mauser to 7MM Blaser mag. Same Lilja Barrel. under .5 with 168 @ 3100 right off. Fast load development. I'm left handed and will only accept CRF.
If I was right handed and wanted a factory/semi Custom I would look strongly at Christenson. It's not CRF but everything else is there and at a great value. I would not consider Montana Rifle Company.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.