Looking for a New Gun

I have been VERY happy with my Kimber Mt. Ascent (300WM). Though not available in 28 Nosler, it is available in .280AI. My sons and I are shooting 8" steel from hunting positions at 300m w/ease. "Out of the box", fully kitted w/SB 3-12x42, Talley rings, Harvester 300 sup. and 3 rounds, it weighs in at 8 lb. 1 oz. Rifle w/glass is under your $3k threshold.

Last edited:
Currently been searching for a new gun to get myself later on this year.

Wanted to get some opinions on the following options -

Budget (2,000 - 3,000)

Browning X-Bolt Pro - 28 Nosler
Nosler Mountain Carbon - 28 Nosler

Open to any suggestions.

Want to confidently be able to take almost any game in North America at 500 yards without worrying about accuracy of the rifle. Thanks

You have the solution in your arsenal......a 300 WM. Spend your money hunting and burning out the 300 WM.

I have a Christensen Arms Ridgeline I'm very happy with. They spot bed the actions and also have have pillars and a match grade carbon wrapped barrel. I bedded the tang area myself and even got more accuracy out of it. Also has a butter smooth action and a very nice adjustable Trigger Tech trigger. It's in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm seriously considering purchasing the same rifle in 6.5 PRC. I'm very happy with mine.

First off the 28 Nosler is an incredible round. Second at $3000 you are so close to a full custom, save a little and get one. One of my good friends has a quote about buying custom guns. "Buy once, cry once." There are a lot of companies out there selling what they call a custom rifle. In the end they are just a production rifle assembled buy a guy making $15 an hour. A bore scope will tell you why they are only $2000 for a custom rifle. Great parts cost money. Buy what you want, and never look back.

.340 Weatherby - a writer (maybe Boddington) once said "if you can't kill it with a .340, you probably shouldn't be hunting it". Can do anything the Lapua, Edge, UM can do at a lot less cost and at 500yds it hits like a runaway locomotive with anything from 200gr to 300gr

I shoot the 7mm STW which is the precursor to the 28 Nosler and love it. But if you don't handload I would agree with the above post
7mm stw is a fine round. Puts a 180gr down range with more ft/lbs than my old 300 win mag and flatter with less wind drift. Nothing wrong with a 300 wm either. If I didn't ever plan in handloading, I would go 28 nosler if I was in a hurry. If I wasn't in a rush, I would wait for Hornady to release a 7mm prc. That's if you don't handload.

I hear you OP. With the out to 500 yard limit you give yourself some leeway. Of the two I personally would go with Browning. As some others pointed out the Sako would be worth considering and if you liked a particular Sako then maybe put it at the top of your list.

Currently been searching for a new gun to get myself later on this year.

Wanted to get some opinions on the following options -

Budget (2,000 - 3,000)

Browning X-Bolt Pro - 28 Nosler
Nosler Mountain Carbon - 28 Nosler

Open to any suggestions.

Want to confidently be able to take almost any game in North America at 500 yards without worrying about accuracy of the rifle. Thanks
I have a CA BA Tactical and absolutely love it. That and the ELR are worth looking at.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts