Looking for a New Chronograph

Full Curl

Hi all. I'm in the market for a new chronograph. I don't need a top-of-the-line model with fancy bells and whistles, but would like a very durable and well-made quality model by a company that stands behind what they make. My last one lasted me over 10 years of good use. What do you guys recommend? Cost is a factor, but I also know you get what you pay for. Thanks for any recommendations.

Hi all.I'm in the market for a new chronograph.I don't need a top-of-the-line model with fancy bells and whistles, but would like a very durable and well-made quality model by a company that stands behind what they make.My last one lasted me over 10 years of good use.What do you guys recommend?Cost is a factor, but I also know you get what you pay for.Thanks for any recommendations.

I think Pact is pretty good for the money. I have had 2 of them and both performed well. I also like the Magneto speed for portability and accuracy. I do think that they need a better system of strapping to the barrel though.........Rich

I think Pact is pretty good for the money. I have had 2 of them and both performed well. I also like the Magneto speed for portability and accuracy. I do think that they need a better system of strapping to the barrel though.........Rich

been using a Pact PC2 since 1996 or 1997 without and issue. The only thing that has ever gone wrong was when I got my big feet tangled around the defuser cable. I had to spend $27 on a new defuser (they wanted to replace them on warranty, but I said no it was my fault). When I bought it, I spent another $25, and bought the light bar for defuser attachment. Now I pretty much have it setup and ready to shoot in ten minutes or less. Accuracy wise, I see virtually zero different between it and the two Ohlers I've shoot thru. It's not perfect by a long shot, but it's almost 20 years old. I wish it had a CAT5 or two USB outlets.
gary

Thanks for the recommendations guys, much appreciated. Any others, please feel free to add. Thanks.

I have a Prochrono digital. Works fine for an all-in-one set up. A binocular is needed to read the display from the shooting bench. My unit failed and the mfr repaired it quickly.

My company bought a CED M2 for ballistic tests, and I use it most of the time. I prefer having the controls at the bench, but the unit takes twice as long to set up and break down as the prochrono digital. I've shot the sensor and sky screen arms before, so it's nice to have the display out of harms way. The CED has a complete line of accessories.

I get misreadings with the CED on magnum calibers if the sensors are too close to the muzzle. I usually have to stretch out the cables to the max length. I've also had interference from indoor fluorescent lights - again an issue with the long cables. The Prochrono doesn't have these limitations. Don't take these issues too seriously. Most of the time the CED works fine.

The magnetoSpeed is very accurate, and easy to set up. Just strap it down tight :) It's also not susceptible to light conditions like most optical based chronographs.

Good luck,
-Bryan

I'd highly recommend the magneto speed! I have had a prochrono, shooting chrony alpha model, and the v3 magnetospeed. Man let me tell you, words cannot describe how happy I am with the magnetospeed! It is a bargain for the added benefits and features compared to lower cost units! No light needed for it to give you readings, digital display for your records right besise you as you shoot; the list goes on. I am tight with money and I just bought my alpha shooting chrony last year because I was on a budget. It did its job but I got tired of all of the conditions having to be right so I saved up and bought the magnetospeed. I've never looked back and It was def money well spent. Good luck with your purchase!

The magnetoSpeed is very accurate, and easy to set up. Just strap it down tight :) It's also not susceptible to light conditions like most optical based chronographs.

Good luck,
-Bryan

Magneto speed is the only chronograph worth buying in my opinion. no dealing with lighting or anything like that. consistent reliable results

The idea of taking light out of the equation isn't really a new idea... My Pops was building chrono's that used sandwiched tinfoil plates at a set spacing before the consumer optical chrono's were even available. I remember one gent with two 300roy's that was mighty peeved he couldn't whip my Pop's remmy bdl 300win by much at all. I'm sure there were plenty of other Tech oriented people building chrono's such as his also. The biggest issue with the tin plates in you of course waste the shots that you could otherwise be targeting with, so with today's availability and prices on components I wouldn't go there again.
As far as what's available today, I'd look at the magnetospeed or the Oehler 35.. At least the Oehler tells you if it's likely lying to you by measuring the speed twice. I like my Oehler, and hardly use my ced... I really don't trust it since it only measures speed once and can be optically fooled.

To save time, I measure group size at the same time I'm measuring muzzle velocity. I fire five shots to get a group size. I usually get at least four good velocity measurements from an optical chrono in that group.

Having something attached to the muzzle can effect barrel vibration and thereby change point of impact and group size. I tried the magnetospeed once and it definitely shifted the point of impact on my rifle over 1" at 100 yds. For that reason alone I stuck with an optical chrono. They aren't perfect, but they give me the data I need.

High accuracy is not my primary goal. 99.5% accuracy is typical of optical chronos, which is sufficient to develop a load. I end up adjusting either velocity or BC later when I fit ballistics to actual bullet drops.

To save time, I measure group size at the same time I'm measuring muzzle velocity. I fire five shots to get a group size. I usually get at least four good velocity measurements from an optical chrono in that group.

Having something attached to the muzzle can effect barrel vibration and thereby change point of impact and group size. I tried the magnetospeed once and it definitely shifted the point of impact on my rifle over 1" at 100 yds. For that reason alone I stuck with an optical chrono. They aren't perfect, but they give me the data I need.

High accuracy is not my primary goal. 99.5% accuracy is typical of optical chronos, which is sufficient to develop a load. I end up adjusting either velocity or BC later when I fit ballistics to actual bullet drops.

I too have noted the same poi shift but it doesn't affect group size too much!......Rich

Full Curl,
I recently bought the Caldwell Chrono and really like it. It interfaces w/Android based smartphones and the app is free.
I used the Shooting Chrony Beta Master for years and the Caldwell is just as good if not better, IMO.
JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.