lookimg for a new cartridge in a gun

If you have a 257...I'd go 30 cal or 338...easy...28 is a hammer but get a 33 Nosler, or a 338 Norma...it will be a step up...but of the ones mentioned I'd go 28

Last edited:
I am trying to pick between a 6.5-300, 27 nosler, and a 28 nosler. Looking for a flat round that can take just about any game in North America. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Mostly will be white tail which is a bit over kill but also want a Elk gun, bear or whatever else I may get a chance to hunt. Currently I can shoot out to about 400 yards, I'm no ballistics expert so that is why I chose a flat high SD round. Hopefully will learn to reload in the coming weeks so I can make my own. Also, not wanting to go crazy on the rifle spend maybe $2,000 plus the optic. Any help is appreciated.
Of your choices 28 nosler or 7mm

I am trying to pick between a 6.5-300, 27 nosler, and a 28 nosler. Looking for a flat round that can take just about any game in North America. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Mostly will be white tail which is a bit over kill but also want a Elk gun, bear or whatever else I may get a chance to hunt. Currently I can shoot out to about 400 yards, I'm no ballistics expert so that is why I chose a flat high SD round. Hopefully will learn to reload in the coming weeks so I can make my own. Also, not wanting to go crazy on the rifle spend maybe $2,000 plus the optic. Any help is appreciated.
.350 Remington Mag

most all you have said as far as animals they have been killed with a 243 but not a good idea for ease of getting ammo any place in the worls a 300 win mag

8mm rem mag, if you like stuff that is hard to find but a absolute hammer. I just ordered a 30-378wby reamer so if you want to make bad decisions like me, it fits the bill of all NA Game.

I took my first Elk with a Rem Sendero SF II chambered in 300 Win Mag. Stock gun. $800 Leupold with Boone & Crocket hold-over reticle. Used Hornady off the shelf 180gr SST Superformance ammo. Took a shot behind the left front leg crease from 335 yards.
Crumpled up, all 4 legs just folded up, he flopped on his belly. Dead Right There.
I've since put on a Huskemaw 5-20x50 scope, had some custom ammo built for my gun.
I play around on an 800 yard range, and it is ridiculously easy to bang steel with this gun.
I've tried some other factory ammo:
Nosler 190gr Accubond LR
Sig Sauer 190gr OTM
Nosler 210gr RDF
To be very honest, dialing my Huskemaw custom engraved turrets to any distance from 200-800 yards I'm banging 4moa steel plates with tremendous ease as well. I love my 300 Win Mag. I'd take her into combat anytime anywhere, or on any game hunt anytime anywhere. Dead Right There everytime.
Fun to dream about new exotic expensive builds.....but this thing just flat out works.
Recoil? You might ask. I put a radial brake on and in addition I put a pull-on recoil pad over the factory recoil pad. Felt recoil is less than my old .270. What a homerun of a gun!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.