looking for suggestions on new gun

bmeier

I am looking to buy a new long range hunting gun and would like some input from folks. I am going to use it to hunt bear, deer and hopefully elk at some point.

I was thinking about a 300 WM or 300 WBY and was looking at a Weatherby Mark V Accumark but after checking out some posts here I thought it would be good to seek some advice as there maybe a better choice out there.

I reload so I have the ability to work up some loads so I am open to other calibers as well. I plan on putting a 3 -12 or 15 scope on most likely Leupold.

What do folks think???

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Bob

I'm with Dave on the Savage, but the Mark V Weatherby is a great starting platform. They are very strong actions and will work well with the magnum calibers. But... so will the Savage. There are some great offerings out there. I would stick with the 300WM. Because you reload, you will be able to get some great performance. With Berger's new offerings of 200, 215, and 230 grain bullets will really optimize its ability. You get a little more diverse offerings in brass as well.

There is nothing wrong with Leupy's, but might want to take a look at Vortex Viper PST, HS models, Sightron SIII, and Night Force. Weaver is really coming in to its own with some of their new scope offerings. If you get the Weatherby, take it to a good gunsmith and get the trigger work done. Depending on the stock you may want to get it bedded.

Tank

I'll second roninflag. The savages do shoot good but to me they are kinda like a club, hate the tang saftey. The Mark V action is very smooth and love the short lift. I like the sendero and built my edge on one after the barrel was toast. The lupy has way more travel then the viper pst, 65 moa compared to 90 moa, the viper does have a better reticle though and both are around the same price.

Wby Mark 5 or Accumark, Leupold 4.5-14 A/O, or higher power 1 st choice.
However the Vanguard S2 sub MOA is priced well, has an adjustable trigger, & is an Excelent choice for 300 win.
Again top it off with a Leupold. You can pick a Leupy VX-III up at a yard sale, send it to the custom shop for any upgrade you need to fit your shooting style, & the warranty is still 100% even if your not the origional owner. Quality glass, & great solid company, that honors thier product.

I'm a Winchester & Leupold freak, but I'm also a Weatherby fan, so I'd jump on the Vanguard S 2 sub, moa in a heartbeat, if your going for the 300 Win.
Both the 300 Wby, & 300 Win are great L/R cartriges. Both are very capable, & each has its own advantage. The good news is you can't go wrong with your choice. Bad news is you gotta choose.
Dont scrimp on guns & glass.

I'd look hard at the Savage LRH if your looking at long range work. I have both, a Weatherby Mark V and the LRH. The Savage may not have the finish of the Weatherby, but it is a solid rifle that has a better trigger, adjustable stock, heavier barrel, and a brake. I like the accuracy of my Savage. I'm still trying to get sub MOA out of my Weatherby. If you go with a Leupold, I'd go for a Mk4.

My recommendation:

Weatherby Accumark in 300 Wby Magnum
or
Remington Sendero in 300 Win Magnum

We own both, but in other calibers, plus a few other Mark V's. Generally the Weatherbys have higher resale (if you care) in Weatherby calibers thus my recommendation for that combination. If you find an Accumark in 300 Win Mag, don't mark it off your list if the price is right, though.

Either one I'd adjust the trigger. Some gunsmiths can do miracles with a Remington trigger, and it's not hard to DIY on the Weatherby (I've posted links here before). Bed the action and go have fun!

Also own Savages, and they're very accurate, but not the rifle that the Accumark and Sendero are.

Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate all comments. Does anyone have any experience with the Leupold VX 3L 4.5 - 14 x 56mm ? Looking for an illuminated reticle and was wondering if folks had any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.