Tired of blued gun, need new coating suggestions

What is your budget and how important are cosmetics to you. Most of my guns are built to shoot out in the wilds, so they get scratches, dings, etc. My favorite coatings are earth shades of Krylon - about $4 at Home Depot. :)

+1 on krylon. And you can do it yourself.

Randy

thanks again for the posts! I decided to try that Alumahyde II from Brownell's as I was already placing an order for reloading stuff, gonna try it on a Savage 270 I picked up at a local pawn shop.

I looked at BlackIceCoatings and like the product but hate to send my precious so far. Found 2 guys that cerakote here in KY with reasonable work times. may try one of them out.

There are some YouTube videos of brownels applying alumahyde II. Check them out. Gives you lots of tips. I applied it just like he did in the video and mine looks great and is holding up great. Most important think I can say is, do NOT touch it for 5 days! 10 if you can stand it. It looks so good when you apply it that the next day you want to pick it up and look at it and drool over it but you'll ruin it. Takes several days to cure. So paint it and forget about it for at least 5 days. Just don't even go look at it or you'll be tempted to touch.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.