tired of my 6.5 creedmoor

I am very partial to the 257 Roberts as I have been shooting a pre 64 Model 70 in this caliber for 50 years. It is very flat shooting at 300 yds and beyond with 75 gr and 87 gr bullets. I shoot 100 gr bullets for deer. With the 75 and 87 gr bullets I use IMR 4064 and IMR 4350 with the 100 gr bullets. Several years ago while hunting Whitetails on opening weekend of deer season with 2 of,my sons I shot a nice 6 by 5 Whitetail buck at 300 yds with the then new 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip which at that time wasn't considered a hunting type bullet but I was testing them and that's what I had in the rifle.

Based on your description of what you are hunting there is but one choice: 243AI. I grew up in Arizona hunting javelina with a 22 Magnum. Not much needed to take javelina cleanly. With the 243AI and a good twist in the barrel, you get the benefit of some of the longer bullets to reach out for wile coyote. Naturally, just my two cents worth.

I use both the 257 Bob and the 25-06 for Pronghorn in Wyoming. the only consistent projectile that I found working in all 3 of my rifles is the Sierra 117g Gameking. The difference between the 2 calibers is that I am using the 25-06 out to 500 yards and I limit the 257 Bob to 300 yards and less. Yes, you can +P the 257 but if you build the rifle on a small ring Mauser, as I did, the pressures become a concern.

I know and trust a predator killing master… and to the best of my knowledge he unreservedly recommends a large 22 cal as the best performer.
22 Creedmore, or better yet 22 PRC Primal is the way to go!!
Reach out for more info, Greg and the Primal Rights team are awesome folks!

www.primalrights.com

One of my favorites, a Model 7MS .257 Roberts.

Attachments

• IMG_1758.jpeg
    IMG_1758.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 43
257 Bob is underrated, with +P loading, it will be 150fps behind the 25-06. I have a 257AI, and it is a tack driver, true there is no truly high BC bullets, but the 110g Accubond, 115g Berger or 115g Ballistic Tip get it done…

Cheers.
No need for high BCs for 500yds and under…I know this is the long range forum…there's also a real world out here. Punching game animals at ranges needing .650 BC bullets is rarer in the real world than this forum would have you believe.
Lotsa theory, forum bravado and poorly placed shots way out there.
257 Bob and 2506 are certain 1/2 moa killers out to 500 yds…and 500yds is a long shot for all of us.